MSFS will not change audio device after startup

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Sim and flight started with default device set to Oculus Rift S speakers. I changed audio device to main speakers via audio settings a minute after flight loaded, but there was still no sound coming out of my speakers.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I’m not seeing this problem when I switch between Headphones and Speakers.

This is my setup:

I can then switch between Headphones and Speakers using the speaker icon on the taskbar.
msfsSoundCheck2

Note for this to work Active Spatial Sound must be Off. If it is active I only get sound on my headphones.

Nov 22 '23 this is still an issue. Changing the sound device in Windows causes everything else to change to the new output immediately, but MSFS does not change until the sim is restarted.

Yep, always set audio device before starting the game. That’s true of a fair number of games though - so while annoying when you forget, they’re not alone.

same problem sim update 14 beta

Yes, once the sim is started I am unable to change the audio device

As an example, switch from a VR headset with built in headphones to 2D mode and standard headphones, only the audio device which was active when the sim started can be used. When switching to another device, even when changing in the windows settings, the audio device in the sim will not change.

N/a

Any news on this? Is there another workaround than the one with spatial sound. I have spatial sound turned off on all devices, still whenever I do a change the SIM doesn’t recognize it.

I also from time to time get video and sound stutters in the game, like playing playing…crack…playing playing …crack… Which I believe coule be related to issues with the sound engine. Sounds a bit like issues with the sound output buffer.

Could this be related with having different sample and bit rates on different devices?

No changes as of yesterday. I had to reload the sim as I had my headset turned on accidentally when I was goin to fly 2D. And could not switch audio device.

1 Like

Yeah… I know the pain. Super annoying. I wonder why this is not prioritized. Probably the minority of people have multiple sound devices… although…not sure.

Also… why is this tagged as “steam”. It has nothing to do with Steam.

When you do a report it asks which version of the game you have.

1 Like

Yes

Great. Just discovered this “feature” after getting new headphones.

Am I really surprised?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be. There’s a lot of games that don’t, though there are a lot that do :slight_smile: I switch constantly, so I just leave windows audio panel up and tab which I’ll use if it changes before starting any program as a good habit :slight_smile:

In response to this question posed by N316TS:
“Just to be clear, when you say, “change to a different audio device”, are you talking about in the MSFS settings, or in the Windows mixer, or something else?”
OP replied:
" I mean changing devices in the windows audio settings, OR in the MSFS settings. If I change them in MSFS it will start working after I shut down and restart MSFS but not before."
I cannot repro when settings are changed in MSFS,
But can repro when settings are changed within Windows / Settings / System / Sound

Partial Specs & settings: i7-12700K, Arc 770 (16GB). Sound Devices:
Sound Repro - MSFS will not change audio device A
The ELEFW328 entries are my two monitors connected by HDMI
The Realtek HD Audio is my external speakers connected through a standard audio jack at the rear of the PC.

My Default Sound settings in MSFS (build V1.37.2.0):

Sound is playing through my external speakers, as expected.
Now I click on the Main Device Output Selection setting to bring up this window:
Sound Repro - MSFS will not change audio device C
Choosing either ELEF… entry will change the sound setting (4- HD in this example, 8- HD works as well):

The sound immediately switches and comes out of the monitors’ speakers, as expected. I can continue to change the settings to any option and the sound will switch to the appropriate speakers. No re-start of MSFS is required.

Note1: I’m not using a VR device. Perhaps this bug is specific to that type of hardware?
Note2: I’m using the PC-MS-Store version of the game, not Steam.

Happens without VR here.

This bug has been known now for over a year. Anyone think they even care or ever fix it?

No, it’s probably an engine thing… Just a guess, but there’s a fair number of games that won’t switch. This one isn’t alone.

Yes its still an an issue and I have never heard any of the devs even mention it, so its either being ignored, or no one cares enough about it to make any changes. IMHO.

What this issue means to me personally, if I want to fly in VR I MUST start the sim with my headset plugged in and my system audio set to my VR device. I cannot switch to 2D mode and change to a standard headset after startup. Conversely, if I start the sim in 2D and then want to fly in VR, I cannot as the audio will not switch…

Currently this topic only has 55 votes, so it is highly unlikely to get looked at. Maybe things will work better in 2024???

Why would you build an audio menu for a item if it’s known it can’t be used?

Dunno to be honest. But it doesn’t work, hasn’t worked, and many other games have the same problem. Maybe it’s a Windows issue? But then many other games have no issue switching.

Can’t see why it’s important. It’s rare I fail to remember to switch when I start MSFS. I’ve done it a few times sure, but it seems hardly worth much dev time. My opinion anyway… I’d rather they put their time into other things that have an impact that we can’t easily fix ourselves.