MSFS won’t start (no internet); even though it’s connected

When I tried to start MSFS this evening, it told me it was updating. About a minute later, it said that it had no internet connection, even though I’m connected. Tried everything from restarting the computer, to verifying files on Steam, then clearing download cache, disconnecting WiFi and reconnecting it, same thing. What should I do to fix this problem?

1 Like

i’m having the same issue, FS2020 on Steam.
telling me i’m not connected. not sure if it’s a steam issue as i had used the sim earlier today along with another steam sim.

edit: just tried cities skylines, same issue. weird, skyrim works fine which is also thru steam.

1 Like

I used the sim last night and it worked fine. I don’t know what is causing it.

Looks like a Steam outage. Not just MSFS but other Steam games as well.

1 Like

This is a Steam problem, happening to many people now with any/all games. Nothing to do but wait it out

Edit: now appears to be fixed.

all better

Thank you.

Hello,
Welcome to the forums! I’m sorry to hear about your issue, and I hope that the Steam outage was fixed. The place to ask for community advice is the Community Support category. I moved your thread there.

Same for me. I am NOT running msfs from steam. After successfully running msfs for the past year, I suddenly get a error on startup saying that the program will not run because I am not on the internet. I tried several hours later and the same response. Obviously I am on the internet or you would not be able to read this. I went to speedtest and my internet is very fast. Ran program as administrator. no luck… I am out of ideas.

1 Like

Also not on steam and I am having the exact same issue as of yesterday. At first got the message about not being online when I was but it would still run. Then had CTD (never happened before). Have not been able to start up since. Tried uninstalling, clean download and reinstalling. Nothing.

It seems the xbox servers were down in my area. I submitted a help request and received a response which said to upgrade to the latest windows 11 version. Now I hear that for some people it is recommended to uninstall the latest windows update. Anyway the problem was at their end and all works ok today with no changes from me.

Same problem, started over week ago and i cant see light end of the tunnel. 3 times reinstall, do anykind logout login rituals, reg fixes etc etc. I´m so frustrated. my sim worked like a charm until now. my connection is 600mbit 5G and worked before witout any problems. windows updates rollback are last what i did´n try already.

Has anyone found a solution for this? My friend in Portugal is having the same exact issues… we have tried everything times 2! She has reloaded everything INCLUDING windows! Her version is the Xbox store…not steam.

Thanks!

1 Like

Morning, thanks for the help :slightly_smiling_face: unfortunately it didn’t work - after a new install it is the same - I can should a place to fly, any activity landing challenges etc but the window doesn’t load - 80% blue bar and it says on task manager-“ MSFS Not responding “ troubleshooting is identified i problem but can’t fix :frowning: Email you later.

I also have the xbox store version and am going through the same problem. All I’m seeing on this forum is a lot of people having the problem and no solutions. It is certainly greatly reducung the enjoyment of MSFS for me. My internet is good. It is very frustrating. Have you found any solution?

Hi there, my friend fixed my problem. It was related to the Google maps add on I had installed- it seems it changes the IP address that is why I was able to get into the main menu, but not able to fly, the blue launching bar stopped at 80% and MSFS was “not responding” (task manager). I uninstalled the add on / deleted the file on the transfers folders, but unfortunately I could not restore windows to an earlier date of that add on install as I didn’t have one set so I had to install windows again and face a new MSFS 7 hours download. But the problem was fixed. Running troubleshooting apps didn’t fix this IP problem. Good luck!!! X Plane kept me happy during those days MSFS was gone.

That’s because that illegal mod actually changes your DNS settings, specifically the hosts file.

Please see this note - MSFS doesn’t support or encourage use of such mod.