MSFS Xbox

It took a few years.

We didn’t have a flight simulator. Never.

Then MSFS was announced as a flagship Xbox Series launch title.

But COVID happened and we had to wait an extra year for MSFS to release on Xbox.

We had to wait for consoles to become available.

We had to wait for hardware to become compatible in order to to fly with a great HOTAS, yoke, pedals, and/or throttle quadrant.

We had to wait for WASM to be worked out in order to fly most of the complex addon planes in sim.

But now, MSFS 2024 is announced, and we have had time to get set up, we have a hangar full of planes from the Marketplace, we have our Game Pass subscriptions.

And we have NONE of the anxiety over upgrading our systems to keep MSFS 2024 running as well as 2020 did on our system.

MSFS 2020 has been a bumpy ride on Xbox. But 2024 is looking great. There is less of the uncertainty I am seeing in PC circles.

Chalk one up for Xbox. We have lagged behind for so long, it is kinda cool to enjoy the news of a sequel without any of the upgrade anxiety we faced with 2020.

21 Likes

I am having a lot of issues with fs2020 on my xbox series x, they will not be getting another penny from me until this is resolved and stops happening.

3 Likes

Glad someone else announcing the elephant in the room. Every time I say this too I get cancelled and told Im being negative. Its night and day compared to day 1 release on my series X. Its gone backwards and not forwards.

I agree it has been a long go and wait where i didnt play fs2020 on my series x until mid to late 2021 when the patches were released for the thrustmaster and well its been a long time coming and cannot wait to get fs2024… but with that being said i better get additional storage for my series x to handle it as fs2020 is currently over 300gb on my system lol.

2 Likes

That bloat of addons is NO joke.

Due to the CTDs and black screens that I get on my Xbox X I have to restrict myself to certain aircraft such as the Bae 146. I loved the A310 but after a number of CTDs flying it I don’t want to touch it again.
So yes the Xbox is a great compromise but for me it is still a hit and miss if I will be able to finish or even sometimes start a flight.

2 Likes

In hindsight, I made a tactical mistake in buying the S version. The limited RAM has turned out to be a problem. At least with the X you get 16 GB.

Also, I am not optimistic about how FS2024 will play on the S. I am thinking of taking the plunge to get a good PC but don’t know if it’s too early to make the move. We know so little about the 2024 version that it’s sort of a shot in the dark.

I’ve had some great times playing on the series X. The fact I was able to fire up the sim and enjoy such a beautiful experience was breathtaking sometimes. I just felt like I was missing out on far too much so finally made the jump to PC.

I was just recently thinking that possibly the reason 2024 is happening already is because of XBOX. Their have been great strides in getting the console version closer to the PC with 3rd party add-ons but we still feel a little left behind. No VATSIM, no replay mode, no ability to use a smartphone or tablet to display flight instruments. Thats all stuff id love to do but im limited to just the console. Im actually excited to see 2024 happening because it will probably benefit the console players more. Maybe we’ll get to see those nice extra features that PC players are enjoying hopefully

1 Like

Well said.

I enjoy flying on the Xbox… I turn it on, boot up the sim, and fly… No faffing around with graphics card options, trying to squeeze an extra few FPS out of the system, or tweaking config files, etc… Just using the sim for what’s it’s there for, flying.

Great stuff. Bring on 2024!

9 Likes

I bought an S because there weren’t any series X available as stand alone purchase at reasonable price. I had my PC (Ryzen7 3700X with 32Gig RAM and GTX1070) and scenery just looked a lot better than the S version. I decided to get the X version and I’m very glad I did because it fairly well suits my kind of flying (solo GA flyer).
The disappointing part about the X for me is that it only has 16Gig RAM and I think thats the cause of most issues. People who try to fly memory hungry airliners into memory hungry airports using memory hungry 3rd party textures – I think it cause problems for them.
I don’t seem to have many problems after I discovered that, just like on my PC, turning live traffic off freed resources for scenery. It doesn’t matter if it should be that way – for me it just is – so I turn off traffic and enjoy the sim quite a lot on my X. I only wish they would’ve made a 32Gig version and that addon developers wouldn’t hobble their airports to make them work.
But it is fantastic to have a small, black, quiet little box that actually outperforms my tower PC with fans you can hear from two rooms away. LOL.

3 Likes

I agree that it is a great experience on the Xbox. I am starting to understand how to prevent the black screens and CTDs so I try to use it within its limitations. I think the biggest loss for me is lack of Vatsim but I just have to continue in my own little bubble :grinning:

1 Like

What are CTD’s

I love the sim since day one on the series x. I bought it back then for Forza Motorsport 8, which isn’t coming out until this year for various reasons. Since then I’ve been enjoying the simulator on the X Box, my biggest problem was the delay of the DC6. Growing family now takes up a lot of space in my life, but I never regret using the sim on the Series X. My one cent for MSFS2024: If my addons work, I’ll take it, but I don’t need the career modes.

1 Like

The more I read about others’ Xbox CTD’s along with my own experience leads me to believe that these have more to do with internet connectivity+MS game server status/load at the time of flight? Of course lower resource demanding flights have a higher probability of success on the box, but when the game servers are loaded, a CTD can happen at any time IMO (and I am just guessing here). Cheers!

Crash to Desktop.

For me, I can have a great day on xbox s, then day after it’s a complete no go with CTD, black screens etc. Also have the x but not loaded as much with add ons and tbf don’t have really any issues with it. Maybe just maybe having to many add ons kills all systems. Birmingham Airport add on has been spot on, but today a complete no go, crash every time. I think a lot has to do with the servers in my opinion. We are asking a lot with all the mods, but in this day and age are we?

3 Likes

Yeah, I do think some better QC for addons would be nice.

I mean, MS makes sure things are compatible and won’t add malware… but they are quick to sell things to Xbox users that need more RAM than an Xbox or a medium spec PC can handle.

I don’t blame the console for that, and I look at the download size especially for airports before purchasing.

Also, I have all but eliminated CTDs by restarting the sim for each new session (usually once a day). It seems I am most likely to CTD when I use Quick Resume after playing another game.

I can’t remember the last CTD I had mid flight.

But I do still have them when loading a flight after Quick Resume. CTDs are annoying. But at least when they happen BEFORE a flight, I don’t lose all the time spent in air.

That said, I have more hours on PC and really saw my share of CTDs on both PC and consoles.

2 Likes

Agree. I shutdown and restart FS between each flight and reboot the box midway through a long day, like lunch or dinner time between longer flights. Live traffic does seem to be a deal breaker so I usually don’t fly with that on. Thoughts?

I always shut down after a flight(if not forced into one by ctd :joy:) this morning Athens to bhx a32ceo, perfect flight, touched down(butter for me :joy:) , speed brakes up, then bang Ctd. That was annoying to say the least. All day its been awful tbf and this all coinsides with the France update. Since then had problems and even got rid of the city update thing.Is live traffic a drain on resources that much BTW?

1 Like