MSFS2020 and windows 11

Tomorrow is “SSD finally gets here” day! I’ll be installing W11 off of USB. Can’t wait to try 'er out!

My thoughts on my transition to Win 11:

• My PC was not Win 11 ready because my system partition was formatted as MBR (master record boot) instead of GPT (GUID partition table). So I had to transform the system disk formatting first.

• After the change to Win 11 the system no longer recognised the MSFS installation, so I had to reinstall the simulator. Afterwards it worked exactly as before (including the various bugs).

• A remark about Win 11: it’s true that it’s a free upgrade, but… you won’t have a decent start menu anymore. If you were used to using Start for an easy start of your programs, you will have to buy one of the various programs on sale (5-10 euros).

1 Like

i couldn’t get windows 11 to correctly recognise my razer tartarus v2 or my razer tartarus pro. They worked as keyboards, but none of the other mappings worked for setting the keys as joystick buttons. What’s worse, is that when i tried to roll back to windows 10, the issue persisted…so i ended up having to totally frehs install windows 10.

Other than this, performance seemed the same in w11 as w10.

So I’d say if you have any usb devices that you use for this game or any other, I’d look around online and ehck that they are 100% w11 compatible before you upgrade.

Yes, as with any other update, you should have a Windows.old folder and be able to roll back.
That was my experience back in June 2021 at least.

Pro tip - hit the Windows key to the left of your keyboard and type the first few letters of the program / file / whatever you were looking for. A menu will pop up, and typically you just have to hit enter if it’s the top item! Don’t even have to take your hands off the keyboard.

(On the Mac OS side it’s Command + Spacebar for the same result.)

4 Likes

Been using Windows 11 since July last year and been flying MSFS in it since then. I don’t feel any difference.

Just make a Bootable Windows 11 USB stick. Whenever you want to reinstall, just boot from the USB and clear all your drive and reformat them.

Thank you. And yes, I knew that.
What you are suggesting, however, requires that you remember which programmes you have installed and want to use.
It doesn’t allow you to create startup icons in the start menu with the ability to represent them in a logical way, for example to remind you in which sequence programs should be activated. For example I place the TrackIR and AI traffic icons to the left of the MSFS icon. This reminds me that, only when I want to have TrackIR or AI traffic, I have to remember to start them before MSFS.
Unfortunately, the line of thought that people use their PCs as if they were mobile phones has prevailed at Microsoft. And of course this philosophy is encouraged by interest groups that try to make money by selling additional software for a fee.

1 Like

You can still do that as a icons on the desktop, right? Move them around to your preferred order.

If you sometimes get very low fps under W10 simply upgrading to 11 might not help in which case I suggest a fresh install of W11 from an iso and a reinstall of all games and programs. Be sure to back up your important data beforehand.

The upgrade W11 uses your existing software’s dll’s whereas the iso W11 will first look for updates and other solutions (Microsoft actually wants to drop dll’s altogether).

I would use this method if Win11 was able to handle different icon sets for each active desktop. But for now, even though you can have multiple active desktops and switch between them steeply (CTRL+WIN+arrows), the icons remain the same on each desktop. I use 3 active desktops for tasks in parallel, and prefer to keep them icon-free for this reason.

For me, upgrading form Win 10 to 11 was quicker and easier than updating MSFS to a new SU.

2 Likes

LOL Im running it on an i7 4core 6th gen, and it whined about the upgrade but it upgraded. On this system MSFS runs no better or worse…as it does on the win10 install on the same machine.

Ahh I see, I never really use the multiple desktop feature. I never need them to. But I understand what you mean…

Of course if he used 3 monitors this would solve his problem :rofl:

Update to Win 11 didn´t make any differences for me in terms of MFS2020.
Everything is stable, no complains in any way.

Only thing I noticed is that some other Games like Assassins Creed etc. seem to run more fluent (more FPS). But it seems I just imagining it. Measures with FPS counter didn´t show any differences to Win 10.

Haha. Same! That either tells you how great Microsoft is with their OS stuff, or how bad Asobo are with their FS stuff. Or both

Windows 11 can only be rolled back for up to ten days after the change according to Microsoft.

1 Like

Help. Running win 11 and msfs 2020 for nearly 4 month. I got wold last 1.22.2.1.0 update without problems. Then i got new win 11 update and after this i coudn’t launch msfs flysim. I am downloading from Microsoft store. 2 diffent supporter coudn’t help me. Win 11 is restored.
Xbox app cache and program reset and installed. Login respond both store and xbox ok. Nothing to update but show i own the program.
I still can’t launch. What to do?

Are you getting any error messages?

What worked for me (Your mileage may vary) when I had MSFS crash during an update and just freak out… lol it wouldn’t go past the sim update screen after that… I went into the \Official folder (same level as your \Community folder), sorted by the date column, and then deleted a handful of files. Next time I restarted MSFS, it realized stuff was missing and started a download again. Now, beware this may force MSFS to download the entire sim again but it worked in my case.

Hi
No, any message. I have tryed a lot, as sevenflyer decripe it.
My thaught is, despite i am locked in in both xbox and ms store program can’t find authority. PS I am only playing on pc. Download is from ms store.