MSFS2020 and windows 11

Just curious how many have upgraded to Windows 11 and 1 was it worth the upgrade? And 2 how it’s been working with MSFS2020? Notice any difference performance etc?

For me is was a straightforward upgrade. Must admit I cloned my drive first and then upgraded as I went to a larger drive. Not sure performance increased but certainly didn’t decrease.

Zero issues since the upgrade (well the odd CTD but nit win 11 related).

I’ve been on Windows 11 for several months and for me, it really doesn’t add or take away anything from the sim itself. The sim runs equally ■■■■■■ on both platforms. One day it runs well and the next day it’s a crashfest.

On another note though, I do like running Windows 11 in general.

2 Likes

Topic moved into #self-service:pc-hardware

1 Like

Straight forward and no issues and looks only slightly different. Performance wise…better

No issues with it at all, although it as a clean install of both the OS and MSFS.

I started june last year with the beta and never looked back my opinion is the sim works 100 percent better i only experienced crashes due to hags…onnce I shut that down its been beautiful and smooth on win 11…no way I can go back to the win 10 issues…but everyones cpu setup is different…ive seen people say its unplayable on win 11 also!

Does the upgrade allow you create some sort of backup of Windows 11 in case you have to reformat and re-install etc?

I’ve upgraded 2 Laptops to windows 11 with absolutely no issues seen with either of them. A painless upgrade. As for FS, I used to run it on a laptop with windows 10 then upgraded it to windows 11, and now I have a desktop with windows 11 and have not run into any issues running FS at all on either of these platforms with windows 11. It could be the smoothest windows upgrade I’ve ever had to do if i’m honest.

1 Like

Yep upgraded to windows 11, really straight forward upgrade.

MSFS has been running fine for the last few months since I upgraded no issues. Have not noticed any real difference in performance from what I remember on Win 10.

1 Like

My upgrade was a total nightmare. Lost all security features, nothing worked. Tried an in place upgrade to Windows after the upgrade that came through windows update. Didn’t work. Finally got the thing working properly with a reset. Took 3 days to sort out.

Having said that, once I got sorted, windows 11 proved to be rather quick and didn’t take long to get used to.

I just wiped all drives on my PC and freshly installed Windows 11. MSFS runs like a charm…

2 Likes

That’s my question, if you ever have to re-format your drive etc. does it allow you backup windows 11 for reinstall?

Been using 11 since the beta. No issues and MSFS runs as I’d expect it to. There’s no rush to change of course, I just always do so I get some experience with the new OS before my clients get hold of it.

1 Like

I notice difference in the sound. On the default A320 I can barely hear the flaps. On overhead instrument view it gets quiet. The sound is much better on 10 and my main reason for staying on it. They’ve done something different with sound and it’s not to my liking at all.

What is the best way to upgrade for a complete noob?

I have Windows 10 OS and MSFS installed on a 1TB SSD.

I have a 2TB HD aswell which has nothing on it but its not an SSD.

No issues other than one of the Win updates removed the clock from all monitors except the primary. Which of course the sim covers due to full screen mode.

There is an app that fixes that issue.

If you ever have to re-format how’s that work with Windows 11 upgrade?

I don’t know… I just reinstalled from an USB drive after downloading the W11 iso from Microsoft…

1 Like

Recently upgraded to 12th Generation i7 12700KF which requires Windows 11. Combined with a GTX 1080 ti, everything is maxed out and is as Smooth. As. Butter.

1 Like