MSFS2020 VR Foreflight overlay

Question?

Does anyone know of a way to “insert” Foreflight into the VR headset so I can access my plates and sectionals without taking off my headset. I know for a fact this is possible as the pilot students at Shepard AFB use Oculus VR w/ the A2A Texan 2 designed for the USAF to do their flight training, and I spoke to a viper driver I know who was telling me they had it set up that way, but he isn’t a tech savy guy. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

Just get a second monitor and run all your other programs on it. When I had one monitor, it was impossible to interact with other programs while in MSFS VR.

I haven’t figured it out either, but the closest thing I’ve seen to it is the SkyVector moving map utility posted on flightsim.to. Link is below. I’ve yet to set it up, but I’ll give an update if it goes well.

Take a look at TUTORIAL: Show Other Applications and Whole Desktops in VR - #36 by PathlessSpore60

1 Like

@BrokePilot3392, I am an IRL private pilot with an IFR rating. I use Foreflight on every flight in real plane. In MSFS, I use a little app called Loneyscreen to screen mirror my iPad running Foreflight to the PC. You can just use the trial version as the nag prompt does not show in VR ever. I have Oculus Rift CV1 and use the Oculus software to bring up the virtual desktop in VR, grab the Loneyscreen window and drag it into my VR cockpit, resize and position it to my liking and pin it in place. It is worth noting that you cannot interact with the onscreen window at all, that all has to be done on the iPad. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

2 Likes

One question…how do you see it in FS2020 with VR enabled? I can mirror my iphone to my desktop but once I go into VR in FS2020, I cannot see anything else on my desktop.

I use flight event to connect msfs to foreflight on my ipad which tracks my flight onto ipad. I can’t remember the program I used to mirror the ipad to the desktop so I could bring it into vr but it was horrible on my fps so I don’t use mirror I just pick outside to see my ipad. I will try lonelyscreen.

Ok i have foreflight connected to msfs and using loneyscreen to mirror. How do I bring the monitor/ipad into vr?

@likes2fly, I can only tell you how I do it with an Oculus Rift. I it the oculus button on the left controller which brings up the Oculus Dashboard, click on Virtual Desktop, which displays the entire desktop in the HMD. I then select the Lonlyscreen windows by pointing the laser at the title bar of the window with the trigger button and simultaneously holding down the thumb button on side of the touch controller, drag it into my VR space, and finally click on the little pin button to lock it in place. Then click the icon in the oculus dashboard to return to MSFS cockpit. If you dont have an Oculus device, this process will not work.

I have a Rift S. I finally got this to work (although I cannot even remember the sequence of buttons I pushed on the Rift controllers to finally get it working). I quickly realized this does not work for me because to make the iPhone readable (and thereby ForeFlight readable) I had to make that window huge. Then it was just taking up a huge amount of my VR real estate. I am hoping someone will come up with a way that you can mirror your device into FS2020 VR via one of the shortcuts (like the checklist, ATC, VFR map, etc…) so you can manipulate it in the cockpit/VR world the same way you can those items. Here is hoping…

Either way trying to view an approach plate with a VR headset on is virtually ( :laughing:) impossible!! So for now it is a lot of peeking out the bottom of my VR headset…

@WEASELPORT, I agree using LonelyScreen with the iPhone the resolution is not good. I use an iPad Mini primarily and it can be read nicely in VR with the window set to my lap. You might want to try AirServer from the Microsoft Store. It is payware ($39), but you get a 31 day trial without having to pay. Its resolution is much better so you wouldn’t have to have the windows so big. I used it in VR and it is better, just didn’t want to pay $39 so I stuck with LonelyScreen.

i have airserver too, I used it with xplane. Seems like I was unable to bring it into vr but not sure, I do know it was terrible on fps even with it just running but not in vr

I tried airserver again and I went from butter smooth to stutters. flyable but not really. also I have to bring in the entire monitor and I cannot expand the ipad to full screen. its way to big for the cockpit. I made it as small as it would go. loneyscreen seemed better but apparently running it through steam and trying to run msfs native dosn’t work

Thank you so much for this, this is brilliant!

Yes interaction is to be done on the iPad, but its very quick to just slightly raise the headset and tap on the ioad

This solves a whole lot of “meh” about VR for me, thanks!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.