Mt. Shasta snow cover

Flying over beautiful Mt. Shasta when I noticed it was completely covered in snow. It summertime and warm so found this odd. The mountain has a few glaciers on it, but normally in summer it’s pretty snow free. I opened up the weather settings, turned off live weather, and set snow depth to 0. However the mountain remained completed engulfed in snow.

Has this happened to anyone else?

It looks like the texture photos include the snow, so were presumably taken in the winter (except for the strips where the ground is more kind of tan/gray, near the peak, which are presumably from a different data set taken in the summer)

If there’s no snow drawn on top, and it’s just in the photo, then there’s nothing you can do in the weather dialog to change the photo.

2 Likes

ah that’s a bummer they used winter time imagery, really kills the immersion since it’s always winter on the mountain no matter the actual season. there are also 7 amazing glaciers on the mountain that are impossible to actually explore since it’s all the same textures now.

for fun I checked bing maps and it’s not snow covered at all, which is interesting.

in fact, the level of detail is extraordinary. lets hope Asobo updates their imagery soon to reflect their current data. :crossed_fingers:

I wouldn’t worry about it.

But dude!? It breaks immersion!

According to NASA Earth Observatory, “At a height of 4,322 meters (14,180 feet) above sea level , Mt. Shasta is typically snowcapped year-round.”
Earthobservatorydotnasadotgov
So maybe not unusual for snow in the pics.

2 Likes

guess depends what you consider “snow capped”. sure there’s always some snow on the top, and there’s also glaciers year round. but the whole mountain isn’t covered in snow year round. checking Microsoft’s own latest imagery (posted in this thread) shows that quite clearly.

more likely it’s just asobo using outdated imagery caught during non-summer months. once asobo updates to microsoft’s latest imagery it should go away. probably during USA World Update III

Don’t hold your breath. :slight_smile:

Until they implement “seasons”, having snow on the default scenery of Mt Shasta all the time as it is now, is considerably more accurate than not having snow on it year round.

1 Like

Currently (June 5, 2023) the upper third of Mt Shasta is still snow covered from the extraordinary record-breaking amount of snow received during the winter. The snow depth at the summit is still over 10 feet.

Here is the latest snow depth map for Mt. Shasta.

There are high passes in the Sierra Nevada that are just now in early June) finally being plowed out by Caltrans, and there are some spots where the depth is still over 20 feet. It will take the entire summer for the existing snow to fully melt, and there might still be some snow on the ground from last winter when the next winter season begins

1 Like

don’t think they’ll update the USA ground imagery any time soon? someone’s a pessimist :wink:

have to disagree with you on this. it wouldn’t “not have snow on it year round”. I’m sure you know this but you can add snow to Mt. Shasta in MSFS. in fact you can add snow to almost anything, thus creating the winter season :snowflake:. so having the baseline imagery free from snow in the summer is more accurate representation, because then you can manually add as much snow as you want, but MSFS also adds snow automatically with live weather during the correct months (seasons). but what you can’t do is remove snow if it’s already baked into the scenery. make sense?

I was just scooting around for some streeview footage, and found a nice spot taken in Feb 2022.

A much older one, from July 2007, at a different location:

It looks like it varies from year to year, but I saw quite a few locations from May to July that show snow cover, and quite a few from September where it was reduced, but never completely gone.

1 Like

It all comes down to when they took the aerial imagery as the snow amount and the limit of the level (elevation) is different every year. You’d have to get it in the late summer on a really bad year (like 2015) to only have the (tiny remaining) glaciers/perennial snow and not the seasonal snowpack.

Actually, last September’s (2022) aerial was pretty devoid of snow - that may be what you’re looking at on Bing. However, I can pretty much guarantee that pic hasn’t made it into an update (yet?).

1 Like

if you check out Google Maps it’s showing 2023 apparently

I guarantee that’s not 2023. Google Earth will give you a month/year timestamp.

Snow situation on Shasta as of 2 mins ago:

It’s been that or more all year to date. And that’s the south face, which generally melts quicker.

where do you see the timestamp