Multi-channel capability

For those with advanced setups and home cockpits, the capability to run multiple instances of the sim across multiple PCs and have those instances synchronise with each other over the network is important. This would, for example, allow you to run the systems and avionics on one machine and the outside view on one (or more) machines, which is vital for 180 degree+ FOV multi-projector display systems, etc.

This could potentially be built on top of the existing multi-player system, with the addition of complete sync of position and attitude, panel state, control state and all aircraft variables.

For such a capability to be truly useful, it must come alongside true multi-viewport support (see the existing multi-monitor wishlist topic) with the ability to precisely define symmetric and asymmetric view frustums across each machine in the multi-channel cluster, as well as a true ‘out of cockpit’ view without virtual cockpit elements.

As an additional feature, the ability to run gauges without modification inside a host process outside the simulator (which could be hosted on a separate machine) would really enhance the product for home cockpit builders, as the glass displays in particular are CPU-intensive and being able to run them on another PC without the rest of the sim running to maximise performance would truly push the sim beyond anything competing sims can do and into the realm of ‘commercial’ training avionics.

I believe multi-channel capability will be the solution to any and all performance issues in MSFS.
@MSFSofficial Developers, please prioritize this because it provides the backbone for setting up and adding dedicated nodes per modularized feature.

It would be nice if in addition to running separate network attached hardware in sync, one could assign tasks to be off-loaded to parallel instances run in the unused cores available in the main PC since the program as is does not use all the available cores in a 4+ core CPU, not to mention a multi CPU server type workstation motherboard with multiple GPU cards.

3 Likes

In support of Home Cockpit Builders can we have multiple PC support under a single license like X-Plane? If you consider the number of displays required from the G1000 to the 787, a single PC running a minimum of 3 main scenery (out the window view) displays and another two for the G1000 plus a utility display ( other stuff like Navigraph, Vatsim, GSX, etc) we’re talking 6 displays which a single PC cannot handle no matter how powerful your CPU/GPU is you run. I run dual GPUs but at the expense of CPU bottleneck. The simple solution is to network one or more PC’s all running MSFS2020 in sync with one another. Surely if X-Plane can do this Microsoft can. Thank you.

Note to users: this is a simple example so if I have missed a key element to support this request, please msg me or comment and I will add it to the Wish List.

4 Likes

to be fair: also in xplane you need for each pc a own license :wink:

1 Like

Man how I’d love to see this! I’m trying to get two powerful MSFS PCs with 6 out the window visual displays working in Sync using WideView and get terrible stutters on the second (client) PC even though standalone both PCs are fluid. I can’t figure out why.

So it sure would be nice to have some native back-end synchronization so everything between the multiple MSFS PCs stays perfectly in sync. Like a master/slave so that the slaves always keep the displays across all PCs synchronized and display exactly what the master is doing (i.e. ai traffic, people, vehicles, clouds, etc).

Easier said than done, but I’d REALLY like to use MSFS in my multi-PC home cockpit instead of P3D but it’s just not quite feasible yet (for me).

P.S. The multi-monitor support was a step in the right direction for us, thanks for that.

1 Like

Own license, yes, but separate account? Maybe if using Steam, but I believe you can still buy a downloadable license to enter can you not? Wish we could do that with MSFS, but at least having the ability to have multiple licenses under one account would be better than having to create a new account (steam or MS) just to use multiple licenses at the same time. I already wasted a Deluxe license because I found out later it doesn’t work that way and it’s too late to get a refund.

I would not know how you can buy xplane x-times in steam, so assume also different users. But yes, may be its possible over the xplane-shop and buy single licenses, like you mentioned. I wanted mainy correct the fact, that also in xplane many licenses then necessary.

But beside of the license questions: The wish itself is ok for me, but very special for home-cockpit builders and/or professionals ( where then again more stuff is necessary ). I assume not many users invest into two or three … computers and licenses. I also not remember that such things are ever in focus of a FS*, so I fear… but the hope will never die for users which need that :slight_smile:

I don’t think this will ever happen natively, TBH (despite being the topic starter). P3D has it because P3D is aimed at commercial customers building complex sims. It would have been a good feature for ESP back in the day. But for MSFS it doesn’t make much sense unless they were going to create a Home Cockpit Edition at a significantly increased price (which would presumably cover the multiple-license situation) to make it worth the investment, and it’s a small enough community that it would never be high on the priority list short of hiring a new team to do it.

I do think Asobo could work with Luciano at Wideview to improve the compatibility there, and enabling multiple (purchased) copies to run at once under a single account would be ideal, but I suspect there may be limitations placed by the Xbox gaming platform there.

Actually, to some extent I’m hoping that increasing multi-monitor performance might make it practical to run all my displays on a single PC in future. We were nearly there in P3D v5. DX12 is the key here.

1 Like

I agree cockpit builder are probably never going to be high on the priority list. But I did come across a setting in MSFS specifically for home builders to turn off the cockpit. So they’ve at least given some thought to it and therefor maybe a little hope yet.

I need to try multiple video cards in one PC and see if performance is more reasonable by moving MSFS windows to specific displays on multiple cards. Assuming that can be done since SLI is not an option. It’s a lot of load on one CPU though.

I don’t know. It would be nice to have for those with the desire to run things on separate machines but this seems like a lot of sim code has to be rewritten for this to properly function. There just can’t be any latency or jitter. I’m talking sub 5ms or otherwise the brain notices.

This however is not a must have since modern computers with the right components are already able to keep up with 6 screens. Air manager, mobiflight, numerous USB hubs and peripherals including Stream decks, butt kickers and Logitech panels.

Keep in mind that Xplane 11 is 6,5 years old.
We’re talking about the era of a 1080, 16GB of RAM at 2400MHz and a 6th Gen i7 if you really had the money. 4K gaming wasn’t really there yet.

If you really want this, spend 4-5K EUR on a mean PC and you’re there too.

Again, I’m not bashing the request, just saying there is a way to achieve what you want.

I do fully support your request and I do think separate viewports are a must for any home cockpit.

1 Like