Multi-layer cloud reports in METAR disrupt natual cloud formations

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes, happens on vanilla install.

Brief description of the issue:

When the METAR reports both lower clouds and a higher layer of clouds, it seems to just stretch the clouds up in between both layers, disrupting the natural form of the clouds and causing unrealistic formations.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

LFMU 142100Z AUTO 02010KT 9999 BKN009 OVC190 15/13 Q1015

LFBL 142030Z AUTO /////KT 9999 FEW007 BKN025 BKN076 10/10 Q1015

LFMT 142100Z AUTO 01012KT 9999 BKN009/// OVC013/// ///CB 14/13 Q1016

LQMO 142100Z 33005KT 7000 FEW010 SCT042 BKN090

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

14th November 2022, between 2100z-2200z

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Observe cloud structures at airports which report multi-layer clouds in their METAR, particularly a low level cloud layer and higher level layer

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

This has been an issue since SU7

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Agree. But Asobo says they not add clouds on the client. Then it means Meteoblue add a really thick layer when they add the METAR data into the weather model. How can Asobo fix that then?

Only my own speculations. Nobody knows how this weather engine works 100%.

I know i’m repetetive, but i don’t want METAR to disturb Meteoblue models at all.

Good find though and voted :slight_smile:

At release, the weather felt complex.
Now it feels much less complex.

8 Likes
1 Like

At least it has been quickly tagged as feedback-logged, hope devs will investigate asap.

3 Likes

I think the issue here is since METAR only reports the bottom of each layer and not the top, there could be something wrong with the algorithm that incorrectly calculates the top of each layer and then overlay it with the bottom of the next layer, resulting in a high elevation cloud type that does not exist in the real world (looks like nuclear/volcanic explosion, see posted screenshots). Also METAR does not have value like Density that comes in Meteoblue data, only Coverage value is coming. How the sim does to represent clouds in those METAR zones ?