Multi-Player Airplane Interactions

These are a few things I’m wondering about with multi-player:

• Does the transponder setting affect the ADS-B in/TCAS systems in other multiplayer airplanes?
  • Do the beacon, landing, taxi, and navigation lights display as set but the other simmer?
  • Do we see control surfaces accurately depicted? I feel like I have seen extended flaps before.
  • Not sure what you mean by affected but assuming they have their transponder broadcasting in some fashion, you’ll see them appear on your own TCAS
  • For the most part. Taxis, beacons, tail lights all came on. for that matter, engines turned on and off appropriately (they aren’t pretty sounding but you can tell off from on that’s for sure)
  • Now that you mention it, i don’t believe i’ve looked hard enough to answer that question. I’m pretty sure they are. Maybe not 100% but you’d see flaps 1-4 on AI planes afaik. I might be wrong

I mostly play on VATSIM for my multiplayer needs so i don’t often get a chance to view my friends planes in our group flights. Game runs bad if i have the built-in MP going…

That’s what I mean, does the transponder work in a virtual sense? If so, it’s an interesting level of detail. If I do a quick flight without running the checklist I’ll sometimes forget to turn the transponder on.

I’ve been in close proximity with other MP aircraft in the sim and sometimes all I can see is the gamertag flying around. No lights and the model only popping up when within a hundred yards or so.

you can typically assume in that case they are children who just wanna go up and fly around. You can turn off the gamertag showing.

Most “serious” simmers will turn off the in-game multiplayer and play on vatsim where you can actually see their lights coming on.

I cant speak to this on a technical level, but i would presume it’s “simulated” to some degree since VATSIM ATC can see your ping when asked to ident your squawk.

Answers some of my questions then, the lights should work. Although if someone does anything other than a cold and dark start, their lights should be on.

I mostly do GA VFR over CTAF, so I don’t think VATSIM would add too much to that scenario.

I’m doing a group flight this weekend, so I should be able to test these things out.

With multiplayer enabled, is it a good idea to disable that setting (forgot the name), where it mentions about other players aircraft proximity to your aircraft, If they get to close they disappear. Is it best to disable that so you can get as close as possible?

Thinking of group flight scenarios.

You’re overthinking it. The game does a decent job at showing other peoples plane states in your sim.

All it does as you said prevents other peoples plane from phasing out if you get to close. With this option off, your planes phase shift drive becomes unlocked and you’ll be able to pass through other planes unharmed

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.