Multiplayer: display other players actual aircraft 3D models and liveries around you

Yes, we have the same aircraft and livery installed on the both computer.
If not, it does not work, we try it before and had this pic

This is why I’ve created this topic to get started with!

1 Like

Another way to support custom livery sharing in real time and keep livery sizes small would be to provide an in-game livery editor that lets artists build images using a collection of abstract shaped decals. This is how multiplayer car racing games download custom liveries efficiently.

2 Likes

This is cumbersome to use though and in the end might not be this much efficient bandwidth wise.

I’m bumping this discussion before it closes automatically but I shall add there are other possible options that could be implemented for the “storage” of the MP models and textures:

• FS2020 could stream up the models and textures to Azure servers, where they will be poly-reduced and texture-baked
  • The Azure server would stream down the simplified models + texture(s) to each MP player.

You could argue there would be too much combinations and variations but in the end, I’m not sure there would be much in practice and this could be quite efficient a solution, while preserving 3rd party vendors from any risk of model sharing because it would be streamed from Azure servers only.

2 Likes

While it would be nice to see people flying realistic planes in a realistic way, there are already plenty of mods around with Starwars ships, air balloons, even a goose.
I’m not particularly interested in seeing balloons running around at mach 2, or X-wings zooming past.

I’m not sure whether you’re agreeing or not with the OP with this?!?

If not, this is the point: you’ll see the same aircraft with the same livery, as any other one around you too, flying like it is flying. Today, you could see a C152 flying like a MB339…

I agree with the OP for people flying ‘sensible’ aircraft. I strongly disagree with the OP when people are flying X-wings and supersonic balloons.

So it all depends on the situation. Since implementing this is a correct way would involve some sort of curating of what is deemed ‘acceptable’, I don’t see it happening.

This is a nice suggestion to add then:

• implement the MP model and livery system for all to see the correct aircraft
  • make it an opt-in setting
  • provide a function to opt-out models and liveries selectively on your system.
1 Like

Lucky man you are
Yesterday a friend and myself we try a multi player flight.
Both computer and MSFS on same server ( West Europe), Multiplayer mode , Live weather and so on selected
Same airport, 2 nearly closed gates
My aircraft was DR400 Robin Cadet
My friend aircraft was C172
On my MSFS Screen, friend aircraft displayed was a Longitude aircraft without landing gear !!!
On Friend screen my aircraft displayed was a TBM930 ( my favorite one)

We do missed something, but what ???

Hi,

I think you have to check the page “General, Traffic”. TH last 2 lines in “IA and Multiplayers traffic” must be deallocated.

Try it and say to me if it’s OK now.
Regards

Hello
Thank’s for help
Today new flight and we get other information about that problem.
As we want to communicata during common flight we use VATSIM Vpilot on UNICOM 122,8 .
So here is the problem.
As soon as I connect to VPilot a ghost airplane is displayed on my screen. If I disconnect the ghost disappear.
On the picture below you can see 2 DR400 light aircarft and ghost B787 laying over my ftiend DR400
So may be incompatibility betwwen Vatsim and MSFS ???

I like this new Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) but I didn’t know the 787 could go in orbit :joy:

:smile: :smile: :smile:

I wanted to create a suggestion like this, but found yours, so will give it my vote and support.

With freeware addons, but especially with payware addons, I think this is going to be an important feature.

This could be technically done in different ways.
At it’s most basic level a flight model could have a “static” model matching frame as part of its package which gets synced with the online servers when you fly it.

On the complex end of the scale Asobo could look to keep a model for each type of aircraft in a central server repository to be supplied by whoever makes a good model for the purpose.

With fighter jets now available and with the upcoming addon aircraft making it into the sim it would be good if those were displayed online as the correct type.

It would be a bit of a sour taste if you had a 737, or a Concorde or an F-15 showing up as a C172 or CJ4 because you don’t own a copy of the flyable payware model that is around you.

the upcoming study level B787 should show up as a 787, not as a C172 when it taxis past me at some random airport :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One possible work around would be a free distributable version of the aircraft you could install, but wouldn’t be flyable. BUT would load correctly for other people’s aircraft in multiplayer. That way a friend can download that for free and see their friend correctly in the sim. Make it have no flight model, make it lower res, etc. But make so it has everything the sim needs to load it as a multiplayer representation.

Should work, no? Developers could start doing it with no need for any Asobo updates. Maybe later on, Asobo could start including them in the standard sim contents as developers sent them in to them?

1 Like

This is the option we were told by Asobo prior I post this wishlist item for the very reason it wont work:

If this is not mandatory, or automatically generated, there is a great chance only a few will provide such model. And if this is not centralized and automated, most aircraft flying around you won’t match the models you see.

Even it you proactively download the model your friend is flying, you won’t get the model another person is flying around you. It is not a problem in group flying with your friend only, but it is paramount when multiplayer flying in general.

The only solution for this to work is really to automate the simple model generation out of the normal model, and to centrally distribute it automatically.

Not sure if your last post was in reply to mine?

That’s certainly not ideal. Relying on developers to make a proxy aircraft and have people download them. But it was something a developer could do now. Maybe it’d catch on, maybe not. But if it did start catching on then Asobo could take steps to aggregate and distribute them, include them in the base sim data, etc.

Ideally when an aircraft reached visible range the aircraft being flown would “broadcast” it’s model. But with textures and such, that could really tax bandwidth and drag cpu on the broadcasting PC.

The only practical thing is for Asobo to take all the aircraft it puts in the Marketplace into the sim data as “seen” aircraft. And freeware obviously people could just download any aircraft they want to be able to see while flying.

Until that time, the only option I see is for devs to make a free version for people who want to see, but not fly an aircraft.

The very least would be to improve the model matching rules. Two friends were flying in a tail dragger (purchased through the market place) but show up in my view are nose wheel aircraft with “strange” attitude. The default X-Cub model would have been a much better match.
Redesigning the model matching priorities (1. MTOW, 2. Gear config 3. Engine config 4. Wing config) would help while we are waiting for a better solution such as described by the OP.

1 Like

Wait until the Xbox release and the backfire online, then, maybe, this idea will be taken seriously! In the meantime this is quite depressing isn’t it?

2 Likes

If you see it as a game and not a simulator this is actually quite funny. That is how I stay healthy :relaxed:

1 Like