Multiplayer: display other players actual aircraft 3D models and liveries around you

Hello
Thank’s for help
Today new flight and we get other information about that problem.
As we want to communicata during common flight we use VATSIM Vpilot on UNICOM 122,8 .
So here is the problem.
As soon as I connect to VPilot a ghost airplane is displayed on my screen. If I disconnect the ghost disappear.
On the picture below you can see 2 DR400 light aircarft and ghost B787 laying over my ftiend DR400
So may be incompatibility betwwen Vatsim and MSFS ???

I like this new Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) but I didn’t know the 787 could go in orbit :joy:

:smile: :smile: :smile:

I wanted to create a suggestion like this, but found yours, so will give it my vote and support.

With freeware addons, but especially with payware addons, I think this is going to be an important feature.

This could be technically done in different ways.
At it’s most basic level a flight model could have a “static” model matching frame as part of its package which gets synced with the online servers when you fly it.

On the complex end of the scale Asobo could look to keep a model for each type of aircraft in a central server repository to be supplied by whoever makes a good model for the purpose.

With fighter jets now available and with the upcoming addon aircraft making it into the sim it would be good if those were displayed online as the correct type.

It would be a bit of a sour taste if you had a 737, or a Concorde or an F-15 showing up as a C172 or CJ4 because you don’t own a copy of the flyable payware model that is around you.

the upcoming study level B787 should show up as a 787, not as a C172 when it taxis past me at some random airport :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One possible work around would be a free distributable version of the aircraft you could install, but wouldn’t be flyable. BUT would load correctly for other people’s aircraft in multiplayer. That way a friend can download that for free and see their friend correctly in the sim. Make it have no flight model, make it lower res, etc. But make so it has everything the sim needs to load it as a multiplayer representation.

Should work, no? Developers could start doing it with no need for any Asobo updates. Maybe later on, Asobo could start including them in the standard sim contents as developers sent them in to them?

2 Likes

This is the option we were told by Asobo prior I post this wishlist item for the very reason it wont work:

If this is not mandatory, or automatically generated, there is a great chance only a few will provide such model. And if this is not centralized and automated, most aircraft flying around you won’t match the models you see.

Even it you proactively download the model your friend is flying, you won’t get the model another person is flying around you. It is not a problem in group flying with your friend only, but it is paramount when multiplayer flying in general.

The only solution for this to work is really to automate the simple model generation out of the normal model, and to centrally distribute it automatically.

Not sure if your last post was in reply to mine?

That’s certainly not ideal. Relying on developers to make a proxy aircraft and have people download them. But it was something a developer could do now. Maybe it’d catch on, maybe not. But if it did start catching on then Asobo could take steps to aggregate and distribute them, include them in the base sim data, etc.

Ideally when an aircraft reached visible range the aircraft being flown would “broadcast” it’s model. But with textures and such, that could really tax bandwidth and drag cpu on the broadcasting PC.

The only practical thing is for Asobo to take all the aircraft it puts in the Marketplace into the sim data as “seen” aircraft. And freeware obviously people could just download any aircraft they want to be able to see while flying.

Until that time, the only option I see is for devs to make a free version for people who want to see, but not fly an aircraft.

The very least would be to improve the model matching rules. Two friends were flying in a tail dragger (purchased through the market place) but show up in my view are nose wheel aircraft with “strange” attitude. The default X-Cub model would have been a much better match.
Redesigning the model matching priorities (1. MTOW, 2. Gear config 3. Engine config 4. Wing config) would help while we are waiting for a better solution such as described by the OP.

2 Likes

Wait until the Xbox release and the backfire online, then, maybe, this idea will be taken seriously! In the meantime this is quite depressing isn’t it?

3 Likes

If you see it as a game and not a simulator this is actually quite funny. That is how I stay healthy :relaxed:

2 Likes

Hopefully someone with good knowledge might be helpful to me? I fly in a small group in multiplayer and we have installed the same pay-ware aircraft. The problem is that we can only see each other’s exterior lights only, no airframe! If we buy outside of the marketplace we don’t get any problems. Is this a glitch or similar problem with model matching 3rd parties above in this topic?

Thanks in advance

It should be simple for MSFS to stream the medium LoD models and textures of third-party planes. This is not a hard problem to solve and they already stream tons of world data to you. So why not stream also the planes?

Anyway I dunno if MSFS devs read this but if they do, then yo, get 'er done, or the ghost of Chuck Yeager will haunt your dreams!

7 Likes

I see a lot of potential in this platform, and I’m really enjoying it so far. Besides the lack of socialization options right now, the one thing that seems to be a huge flaw to me is how someone won’t see you in your plane you’ve purchased from the in-game store, unless they have also purchased that plane.

A lot of people like to roleplay and have fun with these sorts of games. Maybe they just want to know how others are viewing their character. At least for me, if I pay a very generous price for a jet, I want others to see me flying it. I buy the plane because it’s cool and interests me and I want others to see that and know that aspect of my personality. What I don’t want is to be seen as some generic plane because they haven’t bought the specific plane yet.

I don’t understand the issue here against implementing this. Here’s a solution I propose:

1.) Implement a ‘display nearby third-party aircraft’ option in the graphics menu. If you don’t want the model permanently cached on the user’s PC (to help prevent against stealing it), you could encrypt it or just clear those models when the user signs off. The user gets to choose between downloading a tiny amount of extra content for a more rich and varied experience, or maintaining a smaller disk space. This gives them that choice. If this has not been implemented to prevent stealing assets, I think some basic encryption would “keep honest people honest” as they say, which is all you can really hope for with software. Anyone willing to deal with circumventing encryption to fly a $20 plane is probably going to get their hands on it either way.

2.) This would also encourage more sales of add-ons from the ingame store. As it stands, there’s not much incentive to actually buy a plane from the store when you can get ones elsewhere for free of equal/higher quality sometimes. If someone can’t be certain (and knows it’s unlikely that) other players will see them represented how they want to be seen as a pilot, in that plane they love and purchased, why even buy it if there’s alternatives?

By allowing us to see models of planes purchased in the ingame store, even if we have not purchased it ourselves yet, not only will we increase customer satisfaction as a whole (more varied experience, buyers more satisfied with how they can represent themselves ingame), we’ll make the marketplace more relevant and meaningful to use, and encourage new creators and purchases.

Thanks!

2 Likes

At this point, I would even pay for a 3rd party add-on that has simplified 3d models of the planes released by 3rd party developers. Of course, a solution from Asobo would be optimal, but I am afraid this is low on their priority list (like 2022 low).

1 Like

I’ve updated the OP with direct links to some of the posts in order to further detail some of the recommendations and to list new ones. I’ve add more over time to keep this topic current, thank you for contributing!

@Severeeno
We shouldn’t have to come to this. Microsoft has the server resources to automatically generate lower poly models from the source, in a very convincing and efficient way. They have also purchased a company specialized in this technology a few years back and they could use this ( https://www.simplygon.com/ ).

In general I have found a trend with anything Microsoft is that their game seldom offer the means to customize much of the graphics/text parts, and I believe this is a very conservative measure intended to prevent anyone from abusing this with “visually offending” material… I’m certain this is also the reason you can’t add a “clan” prefix to your Gamertag. I’d tend to believe the main problem is not technical nor resources at all.

@Kaedewulf
This feature wouldn’t pose a threat at all regarding piracy. It would stream lower poly count models for visual purposes only, which means they are just looking alike from a certain distance and don’t have to be to the same level of details even up close. The MP models just have to conserve the shape aspects and specific details relevant for the aircraft. These won’t be flyable aircraft and the model won’t have any cockpit but just the parts which are visible, with no gauges.

This is why it can be automated by default on Azure or whatever certainly in a very effective fashion from the source model. But this is also why I believe in making this by default automatic, it will be the best way to entice 3rd party aircraft vendors to also build their own MP models to replace the automatic one, because in doing so, they can portray their aircraft which others can purchase from the market place in the best shape they deem minimum and attractive, yet with minimal content so that it can’t be used or moded as a fully flying aircraft!

2 Likes

Well said. I could hear the disappointment in my friend’s voice when he showed off his new aircraft and I told him “I see you flying a Cessna”

2 Likes

I like that idea. Automate the generation and distribution of the simple models to all.

2 Likes

This was not a pilot error. He did fly a float plane so he told us.

1 Like

This pic with the short caption perfectly demonstrates the issue. It should be made a meme at this point. Can anyone make a meme? I’ll be using it to draw more attention to this.

1 Like

Nice idea!
Here is one: https://kapwi.ng/c/JjWMH35G
:grinning:

3 Likes