Multiple video cards for multiple monitors?

The performance hit people are reporting using multiple monitors is disconcerting, if understandable/predictable. Has anyone tried a separate video card per monitor? Does that come close to the same performance as one video card and one monitor? Does MSFS care if it’s running 3 monitors off one card or off 3 separate cards?

Granted, I’m not sure my current motherboard can even run 3 video cards? And the Ryzen CPU only has 20 PCIe lanes, so they won’t all be getting 8 lanes.

Finally, I can imagine affording a few more 3080s in the not too distant future?! But I might be better off with one 4090?!!! But I ain’t holding my breath or counting on those being available at reasonable prices any time soon.

Forgive me if this has been discussed, I’m not finding anything.

2 Likes

Well, if no one is going to say anything I’ll have to keep searching for answers. I have a friend who’s a pilot, works at NVidia, has a PC with 3 video cards in it and recently installed MSFS, so if I get any answers from him I’ll share here.

Hi Dylanear
Ill respond as looking/thinking similar. Not sure enough slots or grunt from MoBo and power supply. Good thinking otherwise.
Currently have a 2060super Rtx running 1 1440p and 1 1080p monitor and need some input before buying wrong gpu upg.and going to 3 1440p 32’’ monitors.
Paul

This hasn’t been talked about in a while, but has anyone tried to see if this works yet?

If like me you are mostly CPU limited with multiple monitors on one GPU then adding more GPU’s will not help at all - the bottleneck is in the CPU.

I’m not sure many mobo’s will be happy with multiple GPU’s either.

Have you received an update from him if this idea with 1 gpu per monitor works for msfs multiview?