My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I’ve got the same problem, I can run my clouds at high and render scale at 80% yet my clouds look really pixelated. I’m not sure if there is a fix for that

1 Like

A quick note to let you know I’ve just posted the following:

[Update 02JAN2021 - Settings for Motion Reprojection]

2 Likes

interesting post.
Eventhough I am running a 2080ti I found the reprojection function in OXR broken.
It was very jittery on my system despite relatively high fps - using the OXR framerate counter it was constantly jumping between blue (full motion reprojection) and red (full depth reprojection) - now I just use reproj off and its around 30-35fps and smooth.

• I tested on my very similar setup with PCI USB card required to make G2 work, and I’m getting blue screens with GEN4 setting, but setting ALL PCI slots to GEN3 completely cures this. Not ideal, but GEN4 doesn’t reall do anything now, so not too bad. This is a definite fix.
  • Sweet spot can be increased, and FOV improved by 3D-printing a shorter and wider gasket to get your eyes closer to the lense. If you don’t wear glasses with VR, this will improve both sweet spot size and FOV. It can be done withouth a 3D printer with a “frankefov” mod, just not as neatly.
  • The implementation will get better, hopefully.
2 Likes

Very interesting. I will try that on my 3080/G2 and see if I can get good reprojection. When I tried it before, I definitely saw the situation when it was jittery on the ground and felt like repro isn’t working, but smooth after takeoff, so it looks like lower CPU usage could give repro the room to work correctly. I will also try your mouse trick, but it’s a nasty bug and I hope it’s fixed soon. This should not be like this…

@mac2244 @RomanDesign There is definitely something wrong in the implementation nonetheless.

Yesterday I tried the B350 over Hawaii and I could raise to TAA70+SS65, TLOD100, Reproj. and it was silky smooth. Right after I’ve tried the Citation Longitude at KMCO and it was stutter fest. None of the mouse trick nor exiting VR, closing WMR portal, then re-entering solved this. Only after maybe the 3rd attempt, all of a sudden no longer swapping back and forth blue/red in the OXR overlay, and silky smooth like with the B350 over Orlando with TLOD100 still but TAA60+SS65.

I’m certain this bug is also affecting VR in non-reproj and might account for the so varied reports we read in the forum because it makes no other sense there is so many running fine, and so many others aren’t.

This doesn’t preclude WMR Reproj is causing some artifact and it is a technology which is working better for aircraft without a front propeller for this reason, but when it is working, I must admit I find it is giving a weird impression of false fluidity to me but it is eliminating juddering, which is enticing.

This still leaves open the questions: is it NVidia driver bug induced? is it WMR “preview” v105 known bug internally? is it FS2020 rushed VR release because of a deadline (the 22nd) and this is a known bug they already have a correction for?

At least, this experiment shows me a 9700K+2070S is capable enough delivering FS2020 VR experience to its fullest once this specific bug is corrected. Once it is solved, I’m also certain I’ll be able to raise a number of other settings without any incidence to the fps. In the meantime, if the simulator is stuttering like this, I also know I need to exit/enter VR a few times until it is curing itself, and I know I have to lower some settings to give the CPU some room to help. This is good news overall!

PS: since different NVidia CPL settings are giving better results with reprojection, this leads me wondering what the same NVidia CPL settings will give if using SteamVR OpenXR now.

1 Like

I am also starting to see stutters with reproj on. Based on my experience, the mouse trick doesn’t stop it, neither does restarting the flight; exiting/entering VR or switching aircraft will stop it; most of the time Atl-Tab to another program and back can stop it mid-flight. It seems to depend on aircraft. I almost never have this problem with a Cessna 152, but can reliably trigger the stutter by flying a turboprop close to the ground or clouds.

1 Like

On the positive side, I found that what Contact Shadows do to trees is really amazing, definitely worth spending 1-2 fps on. Just go to TFFJ on a sunny day and see. It’s also something that probably requires native G2 resolution to fully appreciate.

2 Likes

Interesting. I will try the mouse trick and your Nvidia CPL settings. Not sure if behavior on Q2 will be the same, but it is worth trying. This seems to be a simple enough bug to fix that should instantly help a lot of people, once Asobo gets to it. Can’t wait for a development update and a VR patch.

What actual resolutions are those?

Render Scale 70% of what?What is the post process resolution? Just curious…

SS65 … means you are undersampling the final output to get it easier for reprojection?

It will be something like this? Let me know if I am on the right track trying to understand this…

1. OpenXR tells MSFS: Hey, give a frame that is is 65%(your SS setting) of optimal. Let’s say 1900 x 1900 on the G2 (65% of 3000x3000)
  2. MSFS then render the 3D scene at 70%(your render scale setting) of 1900x1900, something like 1350x1350
  3. MSFS upscale the image back to 1900x1900, applies post processing and some TAA magic.
  4. MSFS then sends image to OpenXR at 1900x1900, Reprojection is calculated and rendered,
  5. OpenXR sends it to the Headset.

Does this makes sense? I think that multipliers and percentages are very confusing.

This process will be similar in all headsets, I believe. I am on a 2070s and 3600x and was getting very similar numbers on the Q2. ASW works almost fine, if my final resolution is around 1900x1900. Q2 has an extra layer of complexity because it will need to encode, send image via Usb and the headset decodes it. This uses CPU and GPU power and can be problematic… can totally see syncing issues when CPU or GPU are near 100%.

1 Like

That bug could explain the performance discrepancy different people are seeing… Let’s hope Asobo will fix it soon…

1 Like

@Mendigo1151 The meaning of TAA, SS and the different resolutions are all explained already in the OP, and in the linked posts at the end of the OP, and your description is close to what it happening. Please read the “Balancing Visuals and Performance” chapter as it gives some insights about how to turn this to your advantage.

Another update to share that I think I have found a sweet spot for visual and clarity. By setting OXR to 100% and TSA in MSFS 2020 to 100% as well I have a sim that does CTD and good frame rate regardless of the situation. Reminder that I am running a G2 with a 3090 FE and i910900k. I am even able to tweak terrain level and object level of details to respectively 150 and 190 %.
WDYT?

Thank you for sharing, and making most of us reading these discussion a little jealous of your 3090… :joy:

Having said this your post makes a valid point: my recommended settings are for a specific test system (9700K+2070S) and any other system close to this one should be fine with the exact same settings.

However, should you have a much more powerful GPU, what is most likely only important for you are the NVidia CPL, Win10, WMR settings which are quite universally helping many of you with different hardware.

The FS2020 settings I’m suggesting are just a base working on the most demanding scenery areas most of the time, and with most aircraft too. Therefore if you’re mostly flying in a spare/light scenery area you can certainly raise a number of these, even on a 2070S.

In any case, I believe the comments and explanations I’m offering are giving you enough hints in order to know what it is you’re changing and what the impact is.

1 Like

I have been experiencing CTD pretty much all day today. I have tested reprojection following your advice. I did not find it as good as without with the settings that I was describing on my previous post. I am going back to no reprojection but I have experienced CTD since on the A320 FBW development and standard version. 🤷🏾
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Please understand Reproj. is working on the WMR OXR Render Scale size, the more, the harder. This is why I’ve settled to using 65% which is the lowest I could use with WMR OXR v105 (anything below distorts the view - WMR OXR bug). This keeps the 2070S and the CPU from having to do any lengthily computations weighting more than just computing a full frame instead.

You might want to just try again from my recommended settings to get started and if this is working fine, then slowly raise settings back to higher levels, while always remembering any higher setting increasing 1 frame visuals is taking resources from the frame time budget which might be needed for the additional reprojection processing.

When reprojection works – for me that means TAA 70%, no turboprops – it is amazing.

I just flew a Robin right up the Shanghai Tower, almost “landing” on the wall, let the plane stall at the top and fall straight down, and then recovered at the last minute.

I spent the rest of the evening needling through skyscrapers and patting treetops until the fuel ran out and I had to crash land on a highway. Officially addicted I am.

5 Likes

So we using RTX 3xxx are still stuck with stuttery drivers? Strange is that this stutters are only present in MSFS 2020 VR, at least for me.

im on i7 10700k and rtx 3080 with Reverb G1 (100% SS + 70% TAA). I had always stuttering while having 30-40 fps.

After changing Nvidia Driver from version 460.89 to 457.30 , I have the same FPS, but they feel so smooth now. Finally!! Thank you for the Tip @CptLucky8 …that driver downgrade did the trick for me.

Now its an awesome Experience.

Is NVidia aware of this issue?

3 Likes

I can confirm that, 457.30 did it for me too. 100% TAA and 70% SS, repro always on. Very smooth for me, almost no artifacts in the 152. Openxr fps counter pretty much always in the blue and stable. Clarity is good too.

I9 10900KF averaging 4.9ghz with the sim and 3090

Reverb G2

3 Likes