My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

This is the route I’ve always taken with simulators in general because this allows me to get the highest res. and no artifacts. You can read the many reports on this forum saying “how could you fly without” and some early readers found out it was not so bad without afterall.

Since then I’ve been trying reprojection with the G2 and when I initially went into this, I was a little bit like you: something felt “odd” about the visuals. Sure they were smooth and fluid, but it gave me the same impression I don’t like “sports mode” on the TV. I don’t whether it is because I’m not using to gamin at 240hz, or whether I’m so accustomed to lower than 60hz with simulators in 2D.

Nevertheless, in finding the right settings making this working, and eventually in using the right aircraft minimizing the wobbling (K350, Jets, Airliners are good with reproj.), and after flying a few hours with reproj. it is quite good with the G2/WMR (much better than with the Index/SteamVR), but I’ve to sacrifice a little bit of resolution for this to run.

A few days ago I’ve decided to revert to non-reproj with the A320 and sure enough there is juddering back, which I was accustomed to but not as much now. I believe it will take me flying a few hours without reproj. and I’ll get accustomed to it again.

1 Like

Yeah, as with… many things, there is no simple, correct answer. Obviously, running MSFS cranked to ultra with FPS locked to HMD refresh rate is the ideal. (btw, when do we get VRR headsets?) But in the meantime, we have to compromise. And maybe that choice just depends on that day’s mood. I’m glad you’re getting better results from reprojection. Have you tried that bush trip btw??

1 Like

No, I haven’t done any yet actually, I just tried the LFMN and LFPG landing challenges (the later in VR only)

I’m not certain VRR for VR will work as good as for 2D (let alone the awful acronym VRVRR or VVRRR) because of the need for reprojection to compensate the render-to-photon delay, but I’m not expert either.

I just love this thread.

I personally still enjoy the repro. I agree though, it looks a bit smudged in comparison to the clarity you get having it off. I move my head a lot all the time scanning for traffic getting my bearings and enjoying the scenery. The juddering is bad for me
since I can t seem to stay in one place :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@CptLucky8 , I am running MSFS on a WMR headset (Samsung Odyssey), using SteamVR for OpenXR runtime so I can use OVR Toolkit for overlays.
With this combination, do you know what drives the render resolution outside MSFS? i.e. does the slider in the SteamVR settings handle that? I have OpenXR Dev Tools for WMR installed as well, if that makes a difference.

It is explained in “Balancing Visuals and Performance” in both this discussion (WMR) and the other one (SteamVR): My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR)

You might want to check also at the end of the OP, “Further Comments”, 2nd link!

I now switch between reproj and no-reproj regularly depending on the situation.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I wish there was a key binding for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CptLucky8 Thanks for this guide! This is helping me alot!
Although I am facing a problem and can’t see the solution posted anywhere.
No matter what setting I fiddle with, the FPS keeps going around 23-30FPS. Which is just not enough for a smooth VR experience.
I drop the settings. My GPU performance will just drop instead of the FPS going up?
(even in full HD on medium settings)

Is there any explanation for that?

1 Like

@Fobatai Usually this indicates the CPU/GPU balance is not good and the GPU is waiting on the CPU, but I might be wrong.

A quick note to all:

I’m updating the OP from time to time not only when I’m making new suggestions, but also in keeping a wish list of bugs and features you can vote on. If you don’t happen to revisit the OP from time to time, here is the current list.

If you find these important to you, please vote!

1 Like

@CptLucky8 can you suggest best setting for Rift S, i’m tired with dancing. I have two choices. Bad quality but acceptable perfomance, or good quality but bad performance.
i9900k/32g/2080Ti
Oculus beta v25, nvidia 457.30

Unfortunately I can’t because I don’t have this headset, but there are countless Oculus discussions in this forum though which might prove working good for you.

I do everything what posted in all forums and youtube videos. But no luck.

Just got the G2. TAA is set to 100 and OpenXR render scale 70. Running a 3080 with Ryzen 5800x
@CptLucky8 thoughts on this? I mainly fly GA.
I haven’t tried SteamVR runtime.

1 Like

Yes I do: please let us know how it goes on your system!

I got my G2 yesterday and am rocking a 5800x with a 3090 FE (so actually a similar setup considering the 3090 doesn’t offer that much more perf than the 3080.)

Also settled on 100 TAA and OpenXR 70! FS settings are a mix of high/ultra. Ended up turning off reprojection.

I do most of my testing about 1000 ft. over Manhattan in the TBM with the “broken clouds” weather preset. FPS was between 25-30 but I found it perfectly flyable since there was no stuttering.

1 Like

LOL That’s easy for you to say with your 3080 haha! Dropping down to a 2080Ti the reprojection certainly does smooth out panning around the cockpit. Funny I have days when I like the reprojection and others when I don’t. If only non-repro was just a little bit smoother, you know the type of smoothness only DX12 can bring… :crossed_fingers: :thinking: :+1:

1 Like

I’ve changed my position on this. Reprojection FTW!

wmr app completely kills my fps when i switch out of VR. as soon as i shut wmr by fps recover.
is this a known bug?