My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I nearly don’t use the G2 anymore… mostly the Index instead.

I did try yesterday the G2 with SteamVR and WMR and tracking was giving me a awful time compared to the razor sharp outside in tracking of the Index. The cockpit was floating around me and lagging every move I made, WMR was sometimes shifting the entire position all of a sudden.

Sure the visuals were nice in the very narrow center I would appreciate them, but comparing again with the Index where not only I can see wider both horizontally and vertically, but more than this I can see clearly from edge to edge in just moving the eyes, was really revealing to me the G2 is just a deceiving product in many aspects you can probably only see once you’ve used a Valve Index. Really night and day an experience and I only wish the Index panels were refreshed with higher res, that’s all that would be needed to me.

Now It might be my G2 has a specific problem but I doubt it now since the latest HP Q&A. The “official” answer is clearly telling I’m right since the beginning and they have compromised the optics in the G2 in ways they didn’t need to (see below*).

Here is for the Index settings I’m using right now (with latest SteamVR 1.16.5):

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢 - #449 by CptLucky8

Otherwise with the G2 I’m still finding the settings I’ve posted when using motion smoothing are working good on my test system:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR) - #2 by CptLucky8

That is I can’t use less than OXR 65% (because of distortions bug if below) and no more either because of performance on the 2070S. From there, I adjust TAA more or less 70 and clouds/terrain depending.

*I mean both G1 and G2 panels are the same res and size, they could have kept the G1 optics now that it shows they can anti-CA it effectively (as reported by many G1 users). Choosing the Valve optics for less CA also comes with less refraction and the need to curve the lens more therefore lowering the sweet spot cone and therefore making this headset optics even more questionable without any eye relief system and a so much recessed face mask. This is what I’m thinking about in terms of “compromised optics in the G2”. And let’s not forget they said initial production was slightly delayed because of a last minute change with the lenses… what last minute change is this??!

here is the HP comment

We have found that a minority of user’s eyes are farther from the optics after making the correct adjustments than optimal. Reducing FOV and optical performance. You are right that there is a careful balance we must hit between accommodating users with glasses, but also ensuring user’s eyes are close enough to the lenses to remain in the sweet spot. I cannot comment on future plans but this is something that is definitely top of mind as we want everyone to have the same experience.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/l76cke/hp_microsoft_here/gl54msi/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

In other words, I wouldn’t hold my breath about “what to see if the headset is calibrated properly” because even the HP person behind the G2 hardware is not providing a clear answer to the specific calibration measures and questions I’ve raised. But he is suggesting the distance to the lens is somewhat narrow and because of the shape design of the G2 it is very possible many people can’t get it right at all.

I believe I’ll process a RMA if not requiring a plain simple refund (even if post 30 days) because they’re selling a product they know can’t work with many people, unless they’re wearing their glasses which is not supposed to.

2 Likes