My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

@sirpelvis1986 @FubarSWE2020
Thank you for your kind words!

You’re right I’m not using the G2 much for months, but this experiment has shown me it has gotten better with FS2020 now, worthy enough for trying it more for some time. It has also opened up a few ideas I’ll have to further try with the Index. I’m also realizing you really have to have the adequate video card to run the G2 with FS2020 and in trying it with SU5 I’ve settled on a different strategy: be in peace knowing I can’t push OXR100%, and try maximizing the quality instead of the quantity for a given res which is working with the hardware and motion smoothing.

As for the antialiasing and all these reported bugs/artefacts, I’ve none. Maybe it is due to using the Studio Driver, but I’ve really pristine visuals with SU5 HF2, both in Index and G2, in terms of artefacts. Or at least nothing more than I’d expect due to the resolution I’m using. Which means thin lines are of course showing some moiré/steps at these resolutions.

However the in-game overlays (the popup panels etc…) are indeed showing more aliasing than before. It could be as simple as they aren’t painting the quad with the right sampler, or something else, but since it is equally affecting SteamVR and WMR, I’d lean toward an in-game shader setup bug.*

I can notice though the buildings highlights are too strong and this is what probably most are reporting as “shimmering”. In this case, it is just displaying too bright and thin, and this certainly is showing aliasing therefore. I didn’t notice this being as pronounced with the Index though, more with the G2. Maybe they just wrongly set the buildings default material to “metallic” and this is reflecting the sun too much.

NB: the popup panels are using the API I’m suggesting to use for higher EFIS legibility here:
[BUG/FEATURE] EFIS Screens Problems and Solutions for higher legibility - Virtual Reality (VR) / VR Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

NB: the idea is not to magically increase EFIS res, it is to use full OXR res for EFIS (like all overlays) while setting the game to render at a lower res.

*about the aliasing of the ovelays:

Overlays are supporting different flags which can be affecting their rendering against the “background”:

The OpenXR™ Specification

Flag Descriptions

XR_COMPOSITION_LAYER_CORRECT_CHROMATIC_ABERRATION_BIT
— Enables chromatic aberration correction when not done by default.

XR_COMPOSITION_LAYER_BLEND_TEXTURE_SOURCE_ALPHA_BIT
— Enables the layer texture alpha channel.

XR_COMPOSITION_LAYER_UNPREMULTIPLIED_ALPHA_BIT
— Indicates the texture color channels have not been premultiplied by the texture alpha channel.

If you set unpremultiplied for example and the overlay texture is premultiplied… or the reverse…

1 Like