My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I’ve forgotten to add as well:

during my flight yesterday over the Caribbean, about 1/2 to 1H prior sunset, and on final to TJSJ, I did notice the shimmering on the buildings, in a much more apparent way than before. I used to make my previous flight tests for VR in Europe mostly though.

All this to say to me it looks like too bright reflections which are clipping and can’t be as easily “smoothed out” as before. It is more apparent when the Sun is lower on the horizon, and it seemed to me more apparent at Puerto Rico this time than in UK or France for example.

You’re right of course - everyone will have their own unique perspective. I’m not saying I didn’t find the smoothness with MR on more enjoyable - it was noticeably better - just the dip in clarity didn’t work for me. If I could find a way to get to the same clarity/LOD with MR on then I’m sure I would be a convert.

We have pretty much identical spec machines so I would be very interested to see your settings and give them a try.

Can anyone refresh my memory, when OXR does NOT have anything set for “Custom render scale”, is that the equivalent of 100, or is it auto adjusting?

Also, which in sim settings make distant land textures the clearest, im assuming anything with texture set to ultra (which i have), but i also thought maybe anisotropic (already at 16x) and texture supersampling (had it at 8x8) … this on G2 + 10900k + 3080 ftw3

@bigdaddyPittPA
In short: the higher OXR the more details in the distance

As for the FS2020 settings and what they do, Texture Quality has nothing to do with it nor super sampling. I’d suggest you review this topic for some illustrations and details:

PSA: NVidia Anisotropic Bug: in-game setting disabled (was: Some tests on Texture Resolution and Quality)

Thanks, but what about oxr and custom render scale Not checked (unchecked), what setting is it using if its not, is it autoadjusting?

Also, side question, i thought maybe community items in the comm. folder were causing it, but there is an immense load time to the main home screen, roughly 2min 15sec on my system with nvme, i assume its the same for others (this is with empty or full community folder)? Load into a flight from there, 20 sec.

I believe I’ve already documented this in this topic, most likely near the beginning. In auto, it chooses the resolution based in the video card VRAM. Otherwise 2m15 isn’t unexpected.

1 Like

I used several of the more recent settings in this thread, i think i finally had things pretty smooth (though mostly i had to reboot between testing).

Now suddenly i get in the sim, toggle to VR and I get ctds / crashes… kernelbase.dll or ucrtbase.dll 0xc0000409
I think this one is messy to figure out (ruled out the addons by removing them). Nvidia driver 471.41 (and often desktop window manager going bonkers on gpu use until i kill the wmr window). edit: i think the cause of the crash was my attempt at trying a 32GB paging file size (back to auto so far ok)
EDIT2: still crashing going in and out of vr

edit: i tried cpt’s suggestion of the newer nvidia “studio” version driver… it was smoother, less prone to crashing, if any so far and even toggling in and out of wmr worked pretty well. 471.68

Here is a quick feedback of further testing the G2 with SU5.

After tuning everything to run comfortably with the FBW 320 (my latest series of posts are starting here) I’ve been trying today a few different things: trying the G2 with a simpler and light aircraft: the C172 analogue gauges (no EFIS) and see whether I could push my recommendations further.

First I’ve been trying pushing the resolution up in many different combinations, and given a few recent comments I’ve tried it without motion smoothing. There is no denial TAA100+OXR100 is the nominal resolution for the G2, and this shows. If you actually also change TAA to FXAA and pause for a moment ignoring the shimmering, it is super sharp and detailed. However, my test system (9700K+2070S) doesn’t produce enough fps to make this an enjoyable VR experience at all.

Nevertheless I’ve tried different approaches to balance TAA and OXR res. and I’ve tried paying attention to the differences in visuals alone. Since the C172 doesn’t have any EFIS gauge (except the GPS), this gives more leeway to use the in-game render res. < 100. And I confirm you can compensate some of the perf issue when using OXR100 in reducing TAA res. but this I knew and I’ve documented already in the past.

However when I look closely at the images displaying in the G2 when using different combinations, I can’t help noticing where the Asobo TAAU implementation is lacking. It is not DLSS after all and this shows, even with not so low TAA resolution. And this experience actually has further reinforced my initial advise: the only 2 OXR resolutions that matter are 50 and 100.

In other words if your hardware can’t deliver with TAA100+OXR100 and you’ve no other choice than balancing the two, I find that any combination is always less good than either TAA100+OXR50 or TAAnn+OXR100. Said otherwise, OXR80 for example is not a good choice all things considered, because it will either not be that much sharper than TAA100+OXR50 unless you do TAA100+OXR80 but in this case, you’re hardware will force you in non-motion smoothing territory and what you’d get pixel wise you’d loose experience wise because of the juddering.

Now I’ll be honest here: OXR50 will never give you the maximum clarity, but it is still very good especially when comparing with any other headset (Index and Q2), because this still gives higher render pixel count than these, the render pixel count is very close to the native panel resolution (2160x2160), and this also is not too high to use a solid motion smoothing in nearly all airports with nearly all aircraft. In other words, it is to me a solid base to refer to and to use everyday in practice.

There is however one combination which I’ve finally found giving a good balance, and in addition when using with all my other settings published 5 days ago, also allowing me to use motion smoothing with the C172 analogue version: TAA75 + OXR75. At first sight, 75%x75% is telling it makes sense from a “mathematical” standpoint in terms of legibility, and in practice it is (I’ve been comparing 70+70, 80+70, 70+80, etc…)

All this long post to finally sum it up in a few bullet points:

• My base settings are good overall to me, and for my test system (9700K+2070S) because they are mostly all set to HIGH, are pushing the GPU and freeing enough CPU for the rest, are working equally well for Index and G2. They are visually rich and they are supporting a pleasant visual VR experience.

• I believe for any other more powerful CPU+GPU, my base settings are still a reference to grow on starting with resolution first, and eye candy after if there is still room.

• I also believe it is better lowering the resolution to enable motion smoothing, instead of disabling motion smoothing to get more details. In practice, the details are only really visible when the view is static (head fixing the same point and/or aircraft flying straight). As soon as things are moving, the details are lost because of juddering.

• Out of all combinations of resolution for the G2, I don’t find much gain in finely adjusting combinations of TAA and OXR resolutions. In the end, what you gain on one side you loose on the other side unless both are somewhat related by integral factors. This is why of all the combinations I’ve tested, I’ll keep only those 2: TAA100+OXR50, TAA75+OXR75, otherwise if your hardware permit, TAAnn+OXR100 with nn >= 85 (i.e. 85, 90, 95, 100).

• With TAA100+OXR50 I can use the FBW 320 with motion smoothing almost in any conditions, sometimes I must lower Clouds from High to Med (especially complex airports on the ground). This combination is also giving legible EFIS thanks to TAA100.

• With TAA75+OXR75 I can use the C172 analogue with motion smoothing everywhere I’ve tested it with my base settings, I can also set Contact Shadows to LOW instead of OFF. It is less good for the GPS screen but the rest of the panel is really good.

The last 5 days are also revealing something important to me: even if I only use the G2 at 50% of its nominal resolution (OXR50), it is still a solid and visually detailed experience compared to other headsets. It is really a matter of being comfortable in your mind that you won’t be using the headset to its full resolution potential, but in doing so, you’ll be using FS2020 in VR to its maximum enjoyment as well!

PS: I must say that on the same test system I can run the Zibo 737 in XP11 with SteamVR SS100 and with motion smoothing most of the time. I’ve not tried the G2 much with XP11 lately, but this is so much better than FS2020 here considering the sensation of the flight model in VR, the support for the VR controllers to directly command the switches with your hand, the fantastic night lighting and crowded roads with traffic…

10 Likes

Captain, once again thank you very much for your time and contribution.

Given your latest findings and summary, for those of us who have applied your precise settings so far but whose hardware can manage more than TAA100 + OXR50 though not TAA100 + OXR100, which of the following would you now recommend?

1. Your previous suggestion of TAA100> (125, 150, etc) + OXR50.
  2. TAA75 + OXR75.
  3. TAAnn > 85 + OXR100.
  4. Keep TAA100 + OXR50, and raise some graphical settings. If so which and by how much?

Thank you.

1 Like

After doing my subjective testing with light payware GA plane (mostly steam gauges + GNS530/430) in rural area with moderate complexity payware airport I concluded:

1. OXR50% is not for me, resolution in cockpit and outside way too low for me.

2. OXR100% is much, much sharper!

3. TAA% is the parameter to play with, typically around 80%, if conditions permit - 100%.

4. Motion smoothing for me is a nice addition, but I can live without it:

• PROS: fluid motion when turning head in the cockpit, and also scenery moving smoothly
  • CONS: performance/FPS hit, artifacting (e.g. water droplets on the windshield)

I will try flying with motion smoothing on, wherewer it is able to kick in, maybe I will learn to really appreciate it, but I will keep OXR100%, for high scenery/cockpit resolution.

I guess for my type of flying, the motion smoothing is not critical:

• I’m not executing any abrupt manoeuvres.
  • I’m not moving my head very much (as you probably need in the airliner with big cockpit), either I’m scanning the instruments, looking at the GNS530, looking straight ahead, or enjoying the scenery by looking down/left, without much head movement.

Some numbers:

• TAA80%, OXR100%, Motion smoothing off, in air - ca. 25-35 FPS, quite stable, OK for me (I prefer spatial vs. temporal details) - so far my preferred setting

• TAA80%, OXR100%, Motion smoothing on, in air - ca. 20 FPS, Motion smoothing kicking in (“blue box”) only occasionally, I will explore this setting more by reducing some settings or TAA%, to check if motion smoothing is beneficial for me

• TAA80%, OXR80%, Motion smoothing on, in air - ca. 22 FPS, Motion smoothing kicking in (“blue box”) 50% of the time, probably this setting is not worth the FPS penalty of motion smoothing

• TAA75%, OXR75%, Motion smoothing on - ca. 22 FPS, Motion smoothing kicking in (“blue box”) 90% of the time, the loss of sharpness caused by OXR reduction from 100% to 75% is too painfull to me

• TAA100%, OXR50%, Motion smoothing on, in air - ca. 22 FPS, resolution too small for me

• TAA100%, OXR50%, Motion smoothing off, in air - ca. 39 FPS, resolution too small for me

• TAA100%, OXR100%, Motion smoothing off, in air - ca. 20 FPS, not enough FPS for me

Settings:

• as recommended by @CptLucky8 for SU5,
  • clouds high, especially for IFR
  • life traffic enabled (but not much of it)

PC:

• RTX 3070 overclocked a bit (boost freq ca. 2000 MHz, VRAM 7200 MHz)
  • i7-7700k overclocked to 4,6 GHz
  • 32 GB RAM
  • SSD drive
  • 600 Mbps Internet link
  • Reverb G2 (WMR OpenXR, no Steam VR)

A lot of software running in the background (I use WMR desktop in the cockpit, desktop res. reduced to 1366x768):

• Foxit PDF reader to display checklists
  • Pilot2ATC
  • Skydemon (connected to sim via XMapsyV3)
  • FSUIPC (necessary for Pilot2ATC and some button assignments for my H/W knob/button box)
  • LorbyAxisAndOhs (for my Behringer X-Touch Mini MIDI controller with more knobs and buttons to operate GPSes and autopilot)
  • Navigraph Charts (connected via Navigraph Simlink)

Plane:

• Just Flight PA-28R Turbo Arrow III (for IFR flying, mostly steam gauges + GNS530/430 with pimarc/pms50-gns530 mod)

Area:

• Southern Sweden (rural area) with Orbx Malmo (ESMS) scenery (regional airport of medium complexity with one runway for airliners and one for small GA - very convenient)

Live weather:

• Broken clouds with showers of rain and a bit of rainbows
4 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? I couldn’t understand your reasoning here. Why at TAA100+OXR80 “my hardware will force me into non-MR territory”? I’m definitely getting MR with these settings on my 3080/5900X.

I can try TAA85/OXR100 but I’m afraid it will be too much. TAA100/OXR80 is a borderline case with me (on GA) - I’m afraid airliners won’t even manage that. 100/50 is too low resolution I think. 100/70 worked well for me, but you’re saying 100/50 is better?

1 Like

Lot’s of questions! thank you for bringing those up!!

@MSFSimmer @RomanDesign

What I’m suggesting is that if your hardware is more capable than the one I’ve basing my suggestions on (9700K+2070S), given the settings are already in the “HIGH” territory, I believe you’d raise the overall experience in prioritizing resolution before settings. In other words: 1) start with my settings 2) raise resolution if you could 3) if you’re done with resolution and there is still room then raise settings (and I’d suggest starting for perf reasons with Contact Shadow, then Bloom, then Ambient Occlusion).

My previous comments about TAA>100 + OXR50 was to submit and exchange the idea with you all, and see how this works for you so that I could consider this a possible option for my suggestions (in effect, we’re now exchanging and experimenting but at one point in time I’ll re-write the OP with the most recent suggestions, so for now, I’m in experimental and gathering phase). I still find TAA150+OXR50 a possible alternative if you want, but less so since I’ve made my GA light tests yesterday.

So more specifically to your question with better hardware, I’d start trying TAA75+OXR75 first. It offers somewhat better details than TAA100+OXR50 and is a good in-between 100/50 and 100/100 to me if you still want to use motion smoothing with a GA aircraft, with my test hardware. If you’re hardware is really much more capable, I see not reason you couldn’t push maybe TAA85+OXR100, or eventually TAA100+OXR75.

However besides OXR 50, 75 and 100, the detail/perf balance might not be worth it at all in practice. Not that you couldn’t adjust TAA against any other OXR resolution to make it flying to your perf goals, but when experimenting I didn’t find the per-pixel signal/noise ratio to be as good if not using these ratios. For example TAA80+OXR70 and TAA70+OXR80 are not as legible in some fine details to me than TAA75+OXR75. Furthermore, the larger the OXR resolution, the better the details in the distance. All of this makes me recommending in the end to not chasing all TAA/OXR combos for your hardware, but to prioritize TAA100 for EFIS, or OXR100 for non-EFIS.

There is another factor as well when balancing TAA/OXR which is new to SU5. In the past I was saying the CAS Shader used by FS2020 is still good enough down to TAA70. Since SU5, I wouldn’t recommend this anymore and I find TAA85 being the lower bound until you can start seeing degradations, especially with the bug in SU5 which is showing shimmering on bright edges: with TAA < 85 the shimmering becomes much more noticeable.

@RomanDesign

“forcing me into non-motion smoothing territory” is mentioned here in relation with “if your hardware can’t deliver”. In other words you hardware might be capable to push higher res but without motion smoothing. If the latter is important to you, you might have no other choice than making a choice of what you’d cut down, and in this case, I’m just highlighting that not all things are cut down with the same benefit even if it might not look like it (see above 70/80 vs 80/70 vs 75/75 as an example of “benefit” I’m talking about).

@stekusteku
Have you tried TAA75+OXR75 or even TAA100+OXR75 and see how if looks like for you, and whether you can enable motion smoothing?

To all:

Again, these are settings which are quite HIGH overall and should constitute a good solid base for most users with comparable hardware (9700K+2070S). These settings are also working equally good for Index and G2 and I have no doubt therefore they’ll work good with the Q2 as well even if I can’t test it.

In defining a solid starting base, like a foundation, I believe it makes it easier afterward, because for most users the primary factor left to adjusting would therefore be the resolution. And for this one, when testing and comparing the visuals in a signal/noise mantra (perceptually only though), it appeared to me not every TAA/OXR is equal even if they shouldn’t be much dissimilar in theory.

Adjusting resolution therefore depends on a few things: EFIS or not, more details outside or not, motion smoothing or not. These are conditioning whether you use TAA100 or OXR100 and then adjust the other one accordingly.

In the end, I hope these recommendations are working for most of you in a way which makes it easier to adjust and tailor to your experience:

1. setup as suggested
  2. choose a resolution strategically based on your hardware
  3. enjoy!
  4. if you still have room, raise some visual settings and enjoy more!
3 Likes

Here’s how I’m running a 3080/G2 TAA100/OXR100 without repro.

MSFS 2020 SU5 VR SETTINGS / WU5 + 471.68 drivers / Win10 21H1

8/29/21

Win10 Settings

Windows Mixed Reality: Headset Display: Best Visual Quality, 4320X2160, 90Hz

Display Graphics: Hardware Acceleration Off, MSFS High Performance

Gaming: Game Mode Off. Virtual Memory System Managed on both SSD’s

OpenXR Developer Tools

Render Scale 100%, Motion Reprojection Disabled

Nvidia Control Panel

Set up G-SYNC – Uncheck Enable G-SYNC (Headset doesn’t use, increases Monitor resource load on GPU)

3D - MSFS Program Settings: Threaded optimization - Off

MSFS Options

Display mode: Full Screen 1600 X 900 (Below native to reduce secondary load) TAA 100, V-sync Off, Live Traffic/Weather Off, Multi-player Off, Traffic AI Off, settings low.

VR Mode: Rendering-Scaling 100, Anti-Aliasing TAA, Terrain & Objects Level of Detail 200/190, Terrain Vector Data Ultra, Buildings High, Trees Low, Grass & Bushes Low, Volumetric Clouds Low, Texture Resolution Medium, Anistropic Filtering 8X, Texture Supersampling 4X4, Texture Synthesis High, Water Waves Medium, Shadow Maps 1024, Terrain Shadows 512, Contact Shadows Off, Windshield Effects Low, Ambient Occlusion Off, Reflections Off, Light Shafts Off, Bloom Off, Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate Medium. Under Camera: Chase Camera – Instrument Heads-Up Display(HUD) Off.

Current config: i9-9900k @ 5.0 Ghz (all cores) 32G @ 3200, NVME (2), Nvidia 3080 OC, HP Reverb G2. MSFS2020 Store version. MSFS is loaded on secondary drive.

Notes: Decent in /out clarity running just over 40 FPS in GA and low density areas

2 Likes

OK, so that should mean that if I can ran OXR80/TAA100 on my 3080, I better run OXR75/TAA100 instead because visuals are not going to improve with 80 vs 75 and I should rather take a but of extra performance? I prioritize scenery look to EFIS, and I can’t stand low framerates without MR.

@RomanDesign
If motion smoothing is mandatory for you, and if TAA100+OXR80 is too much to get it, you’ll have to trade off.

What you’re trading off then, if not settings (there is not much to gain for fps there unless you reduce Clouds), the only remaining thing is resolution. If you can reach motion smoothing with TAA100+OXR75 it will be better than TAAnn+OXR100 for EFIS (because TAA100 is mandatory for these), but not necessarily for GA light aircraft.

The other thing about resolution is that when you go from OXR50 to OXR100, you’re rendering 2x more pixels (not 2x width and 2x height though), but each pixel at OXR100 is covering only about 44% of the area of the pixel at OXR50 (if my maths are correct) which is not much more details in itself, just twice as much. The combo 75/75 is just a compromise which seems to balance out with nice visual properties while also enabling motion smoothing on my test system.

NB: why 50 and 100? OXR50 is not like any other resolution because it nearly matches the native panel resolution. OXR100 is the nominal because it compensates for lenses distortions so that when viewing through the lens, the rendered image is capable of displaying a unique information per-pixel (or as much as). This is also one of the reason I’d recommend avoiding trying to “chase” the balance with any OXR other than 50 or 100 because you can get better gains elsewhere than when using an in-between resolution. And in practice, when comparing different ratios, I can see that when using “in-between” resolutions I’m not getting more details worth enough loosing motion smoothing, and I prefer in this case raising the visuals with settings like Contact shadows.

Today I’ve tried the TBM at New Orleans and here is a short post about this experience: I wasn’t able to reach enough fps for motion smoothing on the ground, not even with TAA100+OXR50, not even with Clouds set to LOW.

What did work was reducing to TAA85+OXR50 Clouds Med Texture Med (meaning I had to restart the game), at least until being higher in the sky (or should I say in the clouds in the current situation). I was still able to “read” the EFIS without much efforts even if they were blurrier with TAA85. It only took leaning a little bit more forward to read the finer prints when and if needed.

It was only once I was flying up above at least 1000ft AGL that I was able to put TAA100 back and maintain motion smoothing, up until reaching the nearby destination for this short flight, Baton Rouge, flying the approach with a very strong cross wind. Once near and on the ground, it was very hard to keep motion smoothing again. This time, instead of lowering TAA, I’ve reduced Terrain LOD to the minimum (in any case with these Clouds/fog down the ground you couldn’t see much anyhow).

Unfortunately I didn’t have the time to try the G2 via SteamVR and compare, but I don’t recall having had any difficulties with similar weather with the Index even if I’m running the Index at SS152 which is about 2600x2500 IIRC, or in other words the equivalent for the G2 to running TAA100+OXR75… SteamVR motion smoothing can go up to 5:1 or even 6:1 and this helps a lot vs 4:1 for WMR.

All this to say the G2 can run fine with a 9700K+2070 but not in all conditions and this can ruin the experience. Which somewhat limits a little bit the type of flying you can do when compared with the Index which can sustain a wider range of missions on the same hardware.

1 Like

Sounds like what would be really useful is a way to assign a button to toggle to certain presets for TAA at least, for mid flight changes and then back later. I dont suppose something like that already exists?

1 Like

Thanks Cap for making sense of all this for us - super appreciated.
Which settings would you start with for a 3090? Looking for a starting point to do the tweaking from there.

1 Like

I don’t believe I have a solve for your question, but related to it, here is a topic about this you might want to check out to see if you agree with:

Add ability to save settings profiles - Self-Service / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I thank you for your kind words! I’m glad this is helping others!

As for where to start from with a 3090, pretty much like recommended:

More specifically, you might want to try my recommended settings and use TAA100+OXR100 to get started, and let us know how it goes like this?