My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I tried the 60hz mode with the Reverb G1 and activated reprojection with SteamVR, it’s not the best but it’s locked to 30fps, but there seems to be a stutter every 5~6 seconds that it’s really annoying.

1 Like

I am locked at 30 FPS @ 90 Hz with no stuttering. I am not using SteamVR; maybe that’s the key. MSFS is an OpenXR game, and you don’t need to use SteamVR even if you bought it from Steam. Have you tried all the steps laid out by CptLucky8?

2 Likes

Thank you all again for your kind words! I’m glad this is helping you getting started with VR and FS2020. I know it is a cliché to say “once you try VR, you can’t go back” but it is a game changer in simulation. Sure enough we don’t get the same level of details we’d get in 4K for example, but loosing some details for the unique ability to just look around, lean over, look up the overhead panels, and even just move sideways to see what’s behind the center post, it is worth it, and it changes everything when flying the pattern especially.

It is not a static guide either! I didn’t try 60Hz yet for example and I want to revisit HAGS and a few other things just to make sure I’m not missing some extra perf. I’ve tried SteamVR OpenXR again though and I didn’t find any compelling reason to use it for now with the G2 unfortunately.

Speaking of SteamVR, I’ve updated “My VR Settings - Index” lately with the tip to using the SteamVR linux_v1.14 - Older build, for Linux users version which is effectively eliminating nearly all remaining stutters with the Index and giving at least 5 fps more for many people. Unfortunately there is no matching WMR for SteamVR which is working with it and FS2020. The WMR for SteamVR current (non-beta) is working with my other SteamVR titles (like Google Earth and another one - didn’t try them all either) but not with FS2020 which switches to VR mode ok, gets the headset orientation ok, but fails to displaying the views in the G2.

1 Like

There seem to be conflicting advice on what’s the best driver to use for 3080 to avoid stuttering. Some said the first driver that supported 3080 is the best - 456.55, others that it was 456.38 (I got CTD with that one, I think because it’s not a 3080 driver?), yet others 457.51

Has anyone tried them all and compared the results? Or anyone has a stutter-free experience - share your driver version then please.

1 Like

Well, this is a tough one because we can’t just rely on the Captain anymore.

456.55 is supposed to fix the 3080 CTD, so I wouldn’t go earlier than that. My 457.51 woks fine, and I haven’t tried any other version.

I used this with an 2080 and it worked great. The only issue I saw was randomly the headset would black out and then come back. On a 30 min flight happened 3 times within a 5 min period.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve noticed that when OpenXR uses SteamVR, then switching to VR mode doesn’t work when set to the linux build. Maybe you should try and confirm and if so, update your thread, and if not let me know and I’ll see what might be causing it?

I’m using 457.51 and I see small stutters every few seconds, noticeable when looking at the ground or turning. They are not huge, but noticeable. Quoting Chernobyl “not great - not terrible”. Just want to make sure I’m using the best available driver…

@RomanDesign @ImXLXL @AviatorJ3023

I’ve tested a bunch of them (listed in the article) with a 2070S and so far 457.30 is the best performer (and not just with FS2020). But it might be better using another driver version with a 30XX.

457.30 is working best in my test system provided NVidia CPL is also set as indicated. It is possible other drivers are working better with for example VSync OFF instead of FAST. This is very time consuming and not always easy comparing drivers versions, but the choice of 457.30 is also the choice I’ve made initially, prior VR, in “My 4K Settings”. I believe therefore there is some virtue to this driver version (457.30) in the end.

In any case this discussion is a starting point with good and solid settings based on both understanding of the technologies involved and flight testing in repeatable conditions, with a goal of smoothness and easy settings changes for the type of aircraft and flying, in reducing mostly any needed changes to Terrain LOD and Clouds (all others can stay like recommended, only these 2 are the most impactful usually). This helps getting started in VR and tweaking only a few settings in the end, instead of being dragged into an infinite combination of settings!

Therefore please, do try them all, compare and share your findings so that most of us could benefit from using the best NVidia driver version for a given, or all, NVidia models!

2 Likes

@DrKaii I believe I’m already confirming it doesn’t work?!?

I also don’t believe there is anything that can be done. There is a bug in the OXR implementation of SteamVR 1.14 sending a wrong frame absolute time to WMR and it will always skip rendering frames because it will think they are in the future (or the past I don’t remember which). This is talked about in the Steam forums. Therefore unless both SteamVR OXR and WMR for SteamVR talk the same with the same refs, it won’t work.

Ok sorry, didn’t see that. Haven’t read the whole thing. Thanks for the response

I just tested 457.30 vs 457.51 on my RTX 3080. This is interesting.

I found 51 to be slightly (1 or 2 fps) better with reprojection off, but vastly better with reprojection on.

No wonder some are complaining. Lucky for me, I just happen to have had the better (best?) version for 3080 all along.

This is probably not applicable to the 20 series. I have to imagine drivers must be very hardware specific.

1 Like

This keeps happening to me–and not just in MSFS, but also happened in Squadrons.

It used to be pretty bad, about as often as you describe. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers, which made it go away completely in Squadrons.

It came back after I did all sorts of things to make MSFS run smoothly. Then I rolled back a few Nvidia CP changes and now instead it happens maybe once every 20 minutes.

Note that there is a known G2 issue wherein high-volume bass sounds will cause the headset to outrun its power supply, but my issue happens even with sounds muted.

If you find a solution, please please let us all know.

Obviously I can reproduce what you are seeing if I push the settings high enough, but at TAA 60%, I don’t see stuttering even in big cities.

Yes, reinstalling the Nvidia drivers has made a massive improvement in MSFS for me, so much so I’ve done a thread on it here.

1 Like

LOL, I just installed Beat Saber (at my daughter’s request) and tried it for the first time ever. And it was so much fun and a decent workout, but my sound was on “bass boost” for MFS, and max volume in beat saber and windows. When there was a really loud bass note my HMD got black. It was crazy. Same place at of the song. After the 3rd time I realizes that it must be connected to the heavy bass note (bass=power). I disabled bass boost enhancement and have to run volume at 80% in Beat Saber 90% or 100% even without the bass boost will eventually result in a “blackout” in some songs. Wow, how could that pass QA??? This is such a glaring bug… Most likely hardware, so might not get fixed…

So be aware! I would not advise to use bass boost in MSFS if the volume is loud, as was advised by someone in this forum. This may introduce one more problem into the mix…

1 Like

I too have to have projection on in OpenXR to have smooth movements in the cockpit. With it off, when turning my head the judder is just too noticeable.

There is one issue that bugs me a bit. No matter what setting I have in the sim, OpenXR or Nvidia driver, when in the cockpit, if I lean my head from side to side (leaning, not turning), I can see the clouds move with me. This happens with projection on or off. Does anyone know what causes that?

HP Reverb G2
2080Ti
I6700K 32gb Ram
Nvidia 457.30

I think clouds would move with my head in real world too. They may appear close but are actually very far.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing you experience. I didn’t try this one (there are so many) but you got me curious enough to try anytime soon!

@CptLucky8 You have convinced me to play with reprojection off.

What I didn’t realize was that, with the saved resources, my 3080 can render at native G2 resolution (TAA 100% & SS 100%) and maintain 30+ fps without sacrificing any of my current graphics settings!

Of curse, I would still use motion smoothing (and turn down settings) when I decide to do some aerobatics or low flying, but this has opened a new level of realism to me.

1 Like