My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Iā€™ve done a few more tests yesterday about this. Motion smoothing is taking more resources and usually you can balance this out with fewer frames per sec (and artifacts of course).

With the 9700K+2070S I can barely push beyond 152% and 18fps with the Index and FS2020 with aircraft with lots of EFIS for example, like the FBW A320 (for this one I must go 15fps on ground but can switch back to 18fps in the air) (NB: I can push much higher with XP11 though)

What stroke me is how much FS2020 has a struggle when on ground, to the point I have to disable motion smoothing otherwise FS2020 is like rendering pairs of frames in reverse order (displaying frame 2 first, then frame 1 next, then frame 4, then frame 3 etcā€¦ this is what it looks like).

Yesterday Iā€™ve tried the FBW A320 latest dev version but this time with motion smoothing off. Iā€™ve been able to keep 30fps (SS 152% and all the rest unchanged) on the ground, and when up in the air 45fps, and this was not bad at all to me.

If you read this topic from the beginning and when VR was initially available, I was explaining how 30fps constant is still useable in practice with the A320 (not FBW back then) and after a while you get used to the juddering. It has been months though that Iā€™m only using motion smoothing at 18fps so I go used to the artefacts instead! Switching back to motion smoothing off was slightly uncomfortable at first because of the juddering but at 45fps it was not so bad after a short while, especially if you develop the habit of rotating the head (reprojection kicking it) instead of translating it (juddering is unavoidable in this case).

This is a short feedback post to share the experience!

PS: about ā€œFS2020 on ground taking too many resources while on ground to the point I have to disable motion smoothingā€: this one is puzzling me still because in 2D I can see there is still enough room on the CPU/GPU. Iā€™ve been wondering whether FS2020 wouldnā€™t be using the GPU in a way which is interfering with the Turing silicon the NVidia Optical Flow lib is using for motion smoothing. What I mean by this is that it is has if both FS2020 and Optical Flow are fighting for the card silicon, which could be the case if for example FS2020 would be using compute shaders for example and if those would take a longer processing time when on the ground (handling much more things). This is one area Iā€™d really like to figuring out, at least just by mere curiosity for these sort of things!

1 Like