My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

I must admit I always use the latest nvidia studio driver as opposed to the game ready ones.
I just find them generally a bit more stable and solid.
I guess this wouldnā€™t affect your problem here anyway as the latest studio is 452.06, so most likely exhibits the same issue.

Iā€™d refrain from using anything like this with any simulator, even if it gives some boost, and even more with FS2020. This is interfering with the simulator own internal task scheduler and might cause problems with add-ons.

Here are a few reasons I wonā€™t be recommending this kind of tool:

• FS2020 is now using a sandboxed SDK for which most non-aircraft 3rd party code could run as external .exe, therefore in giving more priority to FS2020 youā€™ll give less priority to 3rd party code and possibly also break synchronizing optimizations which were implemented in the 3rd party code.
  • FS2020 will use DX12 which is opening threading optimization opportunities at the simulator code level which could be impaired if the user is artificially changing the process priority and/or threading affinity.

And fundamentally, what process lasso is doing could be done directly within the FS2020 code by the developers and if this tool proves any benefit, I believe youā€™d rather post your detailed analysis to Zendesk so that it benefits all of us.

Having said this the simulator is running quite well already given the richness of its graphics and the number of live objects/states it is managing. There are still a number of optimization opportunities Iā€™m sure and Iā€™m also certain they will come in due time. For example in VR Iā€™m noticing more load with the 2070S whenever I increase some settings (Terrain LOD or buildings HIGH) whereas Iā€™m observing much lower load increasing clouds or texture size (comparing both changes from the same initial conditions/settings). When comparing these changes and the CPU/GPU sync/stalls with fpsVr I tend to think the bottleneck is in the vertex shader and the number of vertices to process, whereas the pixel shader is more comfortable. There might be an optimization opportunity here in using SPS (single pass stereo)* so that the video card is handling 2 vertices transforms at once. Maybe Iā€™m wrong though because it is only empirical and maybe they are already using SPS or other similar techniques, I donā€™t know.

*SPS has its share of problem too and seems to be even wrongly rendering with the G2.

Iā€™m sure you right, Iā€™m not an expert, as you might be, I just experienced that FS2020 with CPU utilization is more soft to me, there is much less frames dropping while flying. Maybe it wonā€™t be effective after the future updates, but in this stage at VR seems to be a bit better at me.

@gyurmak I wouldnā€™t pretend being an expert or better than you in any way, Iā€™m just sharing some technical details about these topics and someone one day might prove me wrong as well :crazy_face:

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Btw Istead of spending hrs of trying to get better performance - I like to have the beta access before the official releaseā€¦I couldnā€™t wait till 23thā€¦

No access to VR yet? Post your gamertag here! - VR Closed Beta / General - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I have, sorry for my bad english. I have, thats i likeā€¦

I was wondering about these and never took time to try out. Do you find any particular difference in games performance generally (not just FS2020)?

1 Like

Just posted:

[Update 03DEC2020]

Changes:

• update Win10 Graphics Settings and comments (Game Mode OFF).
  • update SteamVR Settings and comments (78% instead of 80%).
  • update VR Graphics Settings and comments (different strategy with a baseline and 2 custom adjustments).
  • update VR Traffic Settings and comments (slightly lower values).
  • added Sound Settings and comments.
  • corrections, additional comments and cleanup.

Since Iā€™ve created this discussion Iā€™ve flown much more hours in various conditions and settings and I came to new conclusions and decisions regarding how the best I can maximize the experience. This is an interesting journey which I hope is also helping you along the way!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always felt (and this is not backed up by empirical evidence!) that thereā€™s not much gain in any driver upgrade once theyā€™ve settled in after card releases!
As Iā€™ve got a 1080Ti, itā€™s old and well-tested now so Iā€™d rather have something which is predictably solid, than constantly updating to the latest iteration which might have issues. The studio driver just tends to be the most bug-free from the last 5-10 versions.

I guess you might gain a few FPS here and there from having particular game-ready versions but itā€™s not worth the hassle in my mind unless youā€™re getting a clear 5+% improvement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you and send some apreciation for sharing your suggested settings.
Although I donā€™t use the Index but Quest2 and G2, your Nvidia settings make a big big difference for me. They have significantly improved my overall experience - hopefully you will get your G2 soon :slight_smile: On the G2 the sim is just incredible (once the settings are tuned)

I just made one minor change to your CPL suggestion: Low Latency Mode on Ultra seem to work even better for me personally (also in-game settings are different as I run a 2080TI)

Thank you for your kind words! Last time Iā€™ve tried FAST or ULTRA the former gave me better results in 2D and 3D, but it was we a previous NVidia driver version. Iā€™ll try again and see how it goes now on my test system, thank you for the heads up!

Iā€™ve just posted an update at the top you might want to read!

1 Like

Great updates, thanks. Just to clarify: I own MSFS steam version, but Iā€™m using the HP reverb, so I see that I have no usual ā€œper application settingsā€ that I can set for msfs (not on the list). Does that mean that I basically canā€™t try any of your steam SS methods?

Iā€™m using FS2020 Store version and it doesnā€™t appear in the list of SteamVR games. However while in game you can open SteamVR settings (either in HMD or from the Win32 app window menu) and change it. Once you do it is permanently saved in the steamvr config file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings

Here is what my entry looks like:

"system.generated.flightsimulator.exe" : {
      "disableAsync" : false,
      "motionSmoothingOverride" : 2,
      "resolutionScale" : 140
   },

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

Us lot using WMR natively donā€™t have any per-application settings. We have a few options in the WMR portal to change the resolution/performance but none give you the granularity that SteamVR does. Itā€™s a bit all-or-nothing. Either itā€™s going to render (the G2 in my case) at the equivalent of SteamVR 100% SS (3000px-odd hor. and ver.) or something considerably lower.

Our only option is to use the Render Scaling setting in-game and TAA to smooth it out for us.

You still could could use SteamVR OpenXR instead:

Full Screen mirror view - VR Closed Beta / In-Flight Menus & Toolbar - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Yeah I asked someone in another thread about that, maybe Iā€™ll try it.
I just find that WMRā€™s Motion Reprojection (at 30Hz) is very very good, so donā€™t want to lose that.

Iā€™ll try SteamVR and see how it goes. It might be worth it to gain more minute control over resolution and therefore performance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just added a new comment in the first posts above:

1 Like