My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

yea i have also noticed that it makes weird glitches at certain angles looking like dancing dark squares. Thats probably why you canā€™t select halfres in options.

Do you know what secondary scaling value is supposed to do?

PrimaryScalingVR 1.000000
SecondaryScalingVR 1.000000

primary is render scale value, but secondary is always 1.0 by default. Any idea?

edit: nevermind - better donā€™t change it
ive set it to 0.5 to see what happens. Well the whole picture was pixelated just like setting primary to 0.5, but it has also displaced that black VR mask and it became visible in the headset.

But i have figured out something else. There is a parameter Raytracing which is set to 0 by default and cannot be changed in game. As i know that my RTX is capable for raytracing i have enabled it. I donā€™t know if its placebo but it seems ive got improvement in quality and performance. Ive cranked up now scaling in steam VR up to 250%. Looks amazing and still fluid. Before it started tanking from 220+ and i had it set to 200%. But even at 200 it looks sharper in the distance. Or maybe its just placebo canā€™t say for sure. However now with 250% i can see fields and villages like 50km away from FL300 sharp and clear.

Iā€™ve never noticed any difference with Raytracing setting and it might just be a placeholder, or a leftover from one of the DX12 non-released branch, but you are making me wanting to try this one again with the G2ā€¦ If you keep consistent results in terms of performance over a few sessions, and if you disable the setting back can also see consistent results in terms of lower performance, doing about the same flights each time, there is a chance this is not placebo!

Ive just made a long IFR flight that i made already earlier. It feels definetely smoother, especially on the ground. It was pushing the limits with my previous settings when there was lots of gras around. Ive seen slightly wobbling wings over gras. This is gone. When i taxi and there is gras under wings its now absolutely smooth, no any wobbling, despite i have actually increased scaling in steam. Also it was always wobbling a little when the blinking light from the pusher was reflected on the wings. This is also gone. It feels much much smoother on the ground, in the air it was smooth already. However pushnig it over 250 lets my CPU melt now and it throttles. But still no performance hit.

1 Like

What would be interesting is knowing your framerate.

When i disable fixed throttling with my settings its somewhere between 22 and 30.
Mostly High/Ultra, LOD 200, Render Scale 100, Super Sampling 250% now.
Rayzen 7 3700, RTX 3070, 32GB.

I also believe that i just cannot make it look even better on the index. Pushing Render Scale or Super Sampling higher doesnā€™t seem to improve the quality any further. But im happy with those settings. Its all sharp and clear and with fixed throttling at 20fps it runs very smooth, feels like 90fps. No any stuttering/wobbling anymore.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried it yesterday with the G2 over the Alps and although I had a thought for a moment this seems to be sharper, more detailed, it might have just been the higher quality of the Swiss Alps in WU6. Iā€™ll have to redo the same flight same conditions to compare, but to me this is a placeholder for the DX12U update which will tell whether it autodetects RT caps on your GPU.

Have you tried setting it to 1.5 to compare?

Try reducing FOV to 50% and this will push a little further, but maybe not that much if youā€™re already SS250!

youre probably right, ive done some research, it appears that raytracing was introduced with DX12. So DX11 cannot do raytracing.

For me it appeared sharper in the distance, but it may come from increasing SS from 200 to 250. The better performance that allowed me to push it over 200 might be related to some other tweaks i have also applied. In example i have disabled precaching. Ive done some tests on precaching and figured out that its only helpful when you have terrain lod < 200. From TL 200 it has no any improvement for me. Nothing is culled away and spawns back when i turn my head with TL200 anyway. But precaching enabled actually costs some VRAM. So i found disabling it with TL200 saves some VRAM and helps maintaining more stable performance. Probably that allowed me to push SS over 200.

Iā€™m pretty much leaning to this conclusion as well, even for TLOD100, because on very complex terrain/scenery, and in VR, you can quickly fill VRAM to the point youā€™re getting poor fps. So if I would trade terrain/objects redrawing while keeping overall good perfs in VR, Iā€™d choose to rather than the contrary. Having said this, I get good results setting pre-cache to High (value = 2 in the UserCfg.opt file). This is supposed to be an in-between all-cached and su5-cached, and it is not bad on my test system so far.

hmm can you tell me how to do that? zoom in/out seem not to work in VR.

@AlexejGeldt I was referring to SteamVR FOV to 50%, this is the only FOV setting available.

Ah i see. No, i donā€™t like that box-view. Looks aweful.
Too bad we cannot change FOV (zoom) when using VR in game. Realy missing that.

Hey guys, thanks so much for all this work. Iā€™ve been finding this all fascinating. Iā€™m on a 3080ti with 64gb 3600 ram, 5800x and quest 2.

Playing on my 4k monitor all ultra the game runs pretty wellā€¦ But in VR the game is a hot mess basically unplayable in most situations unless I make it a blurry mess.

Iā€™ve been playing with Oculus link. Although I hear Virtual desktop and steam VR may be the way to go?

Iā€™m going to try and turn off the hyperthreading off in bios.

What other settings would you guys recommend for my setup. Itā€™s very confusing between all the systems and options in this massive thread.

For one I think virtual desktop has its own super sampling it wonā€™t let you alter. So should I be using link and steam VR API instead?

Okay so just turned off hyperthreading. Tried a bunch of settings in game (none of which made any difference except super sampling in game). None of the Steam super sampling worked, at all no matter what they were set to they did 0 with virtual desktopā€¦ Game looked pretty blurry even at 100 (in-game) anything higher it ran quite poorly and didnā€™t look all that much better except for 140+

Iā€™m also using the quest 2 with 5800x/3070 with usb 3 cable and oculus link. The thing that has made the biggest difference in performance is enabling certain settings in the Oculus Debug Tool, its already installed somewhere, just need to run the exe.

• Make sure Asynchronous Spacewarp is disabled, its default but sometimes need to reselect it for it to kick in
  • Increase Encode Bitrate up to 500Mbps, i keep mine around 450. Depends on cable and stability i guess. I think default is only around 150mbps when it can handle a lot more.
  • Link Sharpening Enabled

I pretty much follow the PIE IN THE SKY TOURS channel for best settings. He releases new settings tutorials every time there are major updates

wow Iā€™ve tried encode bit-rate 350+ before and it just completely breaks the image and stream. I have the original Oculus cableā€¦ wonder what the issue is.

And ASW disabled is, for me, a nonsense.
If you donā€™t get the 72fps needed (which youā€™ll never get, letā€™s be realistic), it will stutter.

ASW forced 45 is my best friend. It locks the framerate at 36fps no matter what (half of 72 FPS if you play in 72Hz) and everything is smooth.
I also had to put Clouds on High because on Ultra, FPS take a huge hit during a storm with heavy clouds, especially when thereā€™s a lightning strike. Which is weird since it was working fine before and they downgraded the clouds. :thinking:
In High, no issue and no FPS drop when thereā€™s a lightning strike.

Hang on - did this guide just disappear?? Why? This was one of the most useful resources here for VR. Iā€™m confused

5 Likes

WOW, Spent $5000.00 and greatly improved my HTC Vive pro image clarityā€¦. It was called Cataract surgery and what a difference it has madeā€¦. :-). This might be found humorous by a few of the older simmers here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just had mine eyes done too and so I no longer need glasses either for driving, or using my G2 headset, in fact I now have better than 20/20 vision. Except in Australia I had it done for free.

1 Like