My all-time favorite flight

After multiple decades of flight simming, I hereby declare this to be my all-time favorite flight(for a hundred subtle reasons). Hop in if you would like to go for a ride. There are extra seats:)

BAe 146 KGRR Grand Rapids to KMDW Chicago Midway

0:00 boarding
7:35 pushback
16:00 cleared for takeoff
29:10 cruise altitude
43:29 begin descent
55:45 glide slope intercept
57:10 cleared to land
01:06:16 in the terminal

ILS APPROACH 4R

5 Likes

Being a Brit, I really need to purchase this airliner. Cool vid.

You’ve definately mastered the difficulties of the BAE 146 on this challenging obstacle course beautifully. Well done sir!

Woof ~ Woof & Salute!

Steiny

you won’t regret it. such a groovy bird.

thanks so much for checking the flight.
cheers

1 Like

You are very welcome!

Last year i wanted to do a scenic flight with the BAE 146 from Newburgh’s NY Stewart international to Boston Logan international, with the scenic part over New York with live weather… having not checked the live weather or anything else, i just loaded onto the runway, did a controls check and basically blasted off the runway into the quite cloudy air…

expecting to come out of the clouds someday soon, the clouds just went on and on as i climbed… so the initial plan to go to New York was abandoned and i made my way towards the east, flying over Long Island whilst still climbing… underway the ice detection came on, so things slowly got dicey.

then around 29.000 feet i popped out of the clouds (whilst on the dash it said icing condition: stay under 27 or 28000 feet. Ahem… yeah)… but then with the speed of this jet, the destination comes into play rather quickly.

So weaving my way through cloudlayers ultimately you dive back into clouds again and most vision is lost… i had dailed in the Boston Logan iLS already so i knew where to go… did this all on the fly btw, i’m not a real aviator, nor do i want to be, so procedures are for the experts, i just dail in what i think is fun :wink:

Whilst staying on the glideslope i finally get a glimpse of the runway somewhat in sight… yeah, stretching the “minimums” somewhat on that one

But i set her gently on the ground and slow down to take a turn off to the taxiways.

and then return to the gate.

It’s trips like these that challenge me, i felt like doing a vfr flight, but upon loading in with live weather, i immediately got dumped into IFR conditions, which i love, as it makes you focus on the things you normally take for granted. I handfly all my airplanes, it is a real rarity that i turn on the autopilot, i want to feel what the airplane is doing, want to be more engaged then just order a flightcomputer around to do stuff… sure, i can fly “automated”, still need to learn the autoland features, but i just feel that, when push comes to shove, you need to be able to know what the aircraft is doing… best way to do that, is still hands on. I just love how this hour of a trip turned out. From going in the clouds, thinking i’d be popping out in a couple of thousand feet, maybe finding some lighter cloud layers which would make me be be able to look down a bit, to actually climbing to even more feet above the earth than i actually wanted to, on the way discovering the variations in lift through the various altitudes in this aircraft. It’s not just point the nose up, floor it and it’ll get there, it takes a bit of finesse and knowledge to not overexert the engines, keep the right amount of trim, keep a sharp eye on deveations of your artificial horizon due to mild-ish turbulence up there, all the whilst looking and planning “on-the-go” (yeah, a nono in real aviation, again, that’s why i’m a simpilot, all the luxuries, none of the tragedies.)

Watching your flight, reminded me of that flight, which just should have been a under-7.000 feet scenic overflight, possibly doing multiple touch and go’s on small airstrips along the way… i did that about a week later and actually got what i wanted :wink: The above described flight is just something wonderful, the whole reason i love flightsim… even if i went looking for that kind of weather, i wouldn’t get what i got that flight… in real life i wouldhave looked at the weather if i was flying GA and just sayd: “nope, we take the car”…

Have a great flight, Captain!

Woof ~ Woof & Salute!

Steiny

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing how you enjoy this bird. You almost are using it as a bush plane. I am definitely into the procedures these days.

1 Like