My endless CTD, CTD, CTD problem

Since SU5 my CTD’s never end. SU6,7 or 8 didn’t fix ANY CTD’s either.

I have done all suggested troubleshooting: changing the page file, trying with different nVidia drivers, reinstall FS. running the sim in Safe Mode, limit FPS to 30, deleting rolling cache, turning off ai traffic. I mean: everything I have found!

Today I was able to complete 1 flight out of 7. (mainly in Norway). trying to start a flight in EHAM resulted in CTD as well.

Sometimes it even CTD’s in the menu, but mainly a few minutes after I start setting up the 787.

With C172, TBM930 it also CTD’s

My computer doesn’t CTD on anything else, just the simulator. The “other” simulator never ever CTD’s. so, this is not my computer’s fault.

My specs:
Intel i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard
32GB RAM
1TB NVME (where FS is installed), 2TB HDD, 2TB External HDD
1 Dell 19", 1 40" Sony TV (where I exclusively run the simulator)
1 10" Monitor connected to the onboard Intel Graphics card. (I pop out the PDF here)
1 tablet running spacedesk (ND here)

2 Logitech radios, 1 multipanel, 1 switchpanel, logitech rudder pedals, logitech yoke.
Logitech throttle (if flying a prop) and Thrustmaster Boeing Throttle (when flying the 787)
(I just unplug the one I’ll not be using)

I even contacted nvidia and they suggested me a couple of tweaks to the settings… no luck.

Does anyone else have any additional suggestion? I just ran out of ideas & patience.

I would start with only 1 monitor.
Disable onboard graphics.
Use only the flight controls required to fly.
Also empty community folder.

Among the things you tried, was disconnecting all peripherals and removing any over-clocking included?

Just:
1.) Disabled the onboard graphics card
2.) Emptied my Community Folder
3.) Did Not enable Spacedesk

Result:

CTD on the menu few seconds after it was displayed.

Note: Using 511.79 nvidia driver on a RTX 2080 Super

1 Like

Just disabled 2nd mouse and both logitech radios: CTD on menu.

I continue my quest

1 Like

Sure it’s not a power problem? You have a lot of stuff there. You’ll need at least a 850 power supply.

What is your wattage being supplied?

Unplug all monitors except for primary.
Update your graphics drivers.
Unplug all peripherals except required. Suggest stick only.
Disabled all software related to peripherals and others.
Disabled all software with overlays. ie screen cap, fps counters, sound enhancements.

This “shouldn’t” be a power problem. I have a Corsair RM850x Power Supply

The USB Hub is powered.

Just disconnected the 2nd wireless keyboard, disconnected the logitech switch panel and logitech multipanel.

Windows 10… up to date.

Graphics drivers are the latest.

No FPS counters, no sound enhancements.

No Wireless headphones.

Still running main Dell 19" monitor & Sony HD Tv. Thrustmaster throttle & logitech pedals.

Here I go… I hope this doesn’t CTD. (at least I got to EHAM)… will let you know in a couple of minutes.

1 Like

There’s been a good few reports of usb’s turning off can cause the sim to crash - its like disconnecting a controller. Make sure power options are set to max power

Also it might be worth a try to check on some windows settings - Game Mode, AntiVirus, etc

The usual candidates are to run the sim in safe mode (or empty community folder) and keep everything at a basic level - one monitor - no usb hubs - just try with a keyboard and mouse.

Is the sim installed on the same drive as the OS? there might be a read/write permission to check on too.

Be sure to run task manager to see what other apps are running - there could be something else there you may not have noticed - theres a handy freeware program called process lasso - gives great clarity as to what is running and where

Good luck with the search mate - if I think of anything else I’ll post a few more ideas here

After 13hrs of throubleshooting I was finally able to fly EHAM->EKCH.

My tests are inconclusive.

The only real change to my hardware today was connecting the Logitech Multipanel directly to a computer’s usb port instead of the powered usb hub.

I’ll try tomorrow again loading my original community folder.

This is exhausting! 1hr flight vs 12 troubleshooting when everything runs fine in the other simulator and before SU5.

Indeed I just fixed my mouse which had a broken ground wire which was disconnecting the USB and causing the sim to crash consistently.

I don’t think this is my case. When a USB device disconnects you can hear the sound of the disconnection and subsequent inability to use it. None of my devices disconnect.

Today I re-enabled my Community Folder and here are the results:
1.) First run, resulted in CTD in the Menu
2.) Restarted the PC and I was able to fly the 787 with the heavy mod. CTD when I tried to use the cursor knob in the FMC. (EHAM->EKCH)
3.) Restarted the PC and was able to make the entire flight again.
4.) Restarted the PC and was able to fly ENGM->ENBR.
5.) When I finished my flight and go to the main menu: CTD
6.) Restarted the PC and was able to fly KPIT->KJFK
7.) When I finished my flight and went to the main menu: CTD

nVidia sent me the 511.72 drivers and made no difference with the current one.

At least, I was able to complete 3 of out 4 flights gate to gate.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that many times I have monitored the GPU usage and the Sim CTD’s when the GPU reaches 100%.

Is it every time the GPU hits 100%? That looks like a power problem again.
But it shouldn’t reach 100% in the menu because the FPS in the menu is limited now?
Have you tried a benchmarking tool like cinebench?

Long-term observation… As long as you do not install any plug-ins, the CTD situation will basically not happen. After installing the plug-in, there is a high probability of causing CTD. But after restarting the game, it will basically return to normal. If this plug-in is installed Repeated occurrence of CTD problems means that there is a problem with the compatibility of this plugin…
And sometimes after the CTD occurs, even if the plug-in is deleted, it will still happen repeatedly. Then all cache records should be deleted at this time… The above is the result of my observation and measurement for more than a year. Basically, I am encountering When it comes to CTD problems, it will be handled according to the method I mentioned above. The current use is normal…

Constant CTD after 1.24.5.0. Deleted everything from community folder and still I get CTD.
This never used to happen previously.
Anyone else experiencing this as its very frustrating

Yea… me too. Thought it was an addon aircraft at first. I cleared my community and ran the default Baron 58. Still get the CTD within 30 minutes of flight.

Ive noticed activity in my right side task tray. something popping in and out too fast for me to ID it. The flight sim runs full screen and hides the taskbar so I forget about it when flying.

I bought a new HP printer a couple weeks ago. Its wireless but seemed to take forever to print something so I plugged in the USB directly. Knowing how touchy this sim is with USB devices and seeing some unexplained activity in the tray I decided to unplug the printer.

So far I bn flying for 2 hours this morning without a glitch… knock on wood… lol

I wonder how easy a flaky USB connection, cable, hub or device may cause havoc with this sim.

Are you able to get into the sim, what exactly is happening?

Do you have sleep mode enabled on any of the USB ports?

This is getting impossible to play. Now I get CTD’s loading the game . If it reaches the menu, it CTD’s too. Two weekends haven’t been able to use the sim AT ALL! I installed Cinebench… What I should be looking for? I ran a test and I received 11586 score. Does that mean something?
Nothing else in my computer crashes, not even the other simulator. Just MSFS.
When in this going to be addressed?

1 Like