My F-15 Eagle Add-On Review (DC Designs)

I just posted my review of the brand new F-15 Eagle add-on by DC Designs, including a video run through the Jedi Transition and Star Wars Canyon :smiley:

Hope ya’ll like it and comments and criticism are welcome :smiley:

2 Likes

YouTuber Overkill has just done a review saying how disappointed he was with this product, including many defects such as sound and cockpit textures and the flight model.

I shall avoid buying this for the foreseeable future.

3 Likes

Big nope. Too much lag. So many planes with tons of screens… wheres the steam gauges at they run so much better. Mb339 is amazing work of art compared to this. Was any quality control done to it before release?

Nice job!!!

How did you spawn (at beginning of video) not being in the cockpit with chokes, etc?

There’s a row of switches on the back of the right side console with four switches, each of which will activate an element of that little “scene” IE soldier, chocks, covers, and GPU.

Went to see out of curiosity and immediately saw the telltale clickbait hyperbolic thumbnail and title “heartbroken” and I already knew what I’d see.

Lots of nitpicking, very little constructiveness, an overly negative tone that tells me that he was expecting a different product that this was (openly) never meant to be.

Tries something for 20 minutes and call it a day without even landing (that most definitely not how you do a “review” of something someone worked on for months). Doesn’t set the parking brake, blames it on it not working. Says they hit “150 knots” in “literally” 10 feet… nope. It wasn’t even in the same order of magnitude. You’re being hyperbolic or you don’t know what “literally” means (which is a common issue nowadays).

See? Everyone can do the nitpicking and the moaning game. I’m sure plenty could be done with my review as well.

To each their own, and anyone will cater to their audience however they feel to, but this was obviously and openly designed to be a big toy to have fun with at least until MSFS supports what a fighter jet really needs. It has flaws, but it checks that box with flying colors. If that’s not what you’re looking for, yes. This isn’t for you.

3 Likes

I mostly agree with your review. You’re right in stating there are certain SDK limitations which will inevitably limit what complex aircraft can do right now. Supersonic flight is slated to be addressed in the next update or two, which would hopefully add the capability of true supersonic flight. My biggest gripes seem to just boil down to certain features being limited because the SDK is still maturing and isn’t quite there yet. I’m running a 3090 and have noticed frame drops compared to other aircraft but thankfully, for me, the jet is still flyable at 30+ FPS. Overall i’m really happy with the initial release for a system the developer is still coming to terms with, and with updates it’ll evolve into a very pleasing addon. I’m not sure what others were expecting when it comes to supersonic flight or other facets obviously limited by the SDK - the developer has opted to not utilize shoddy workarounds with the limited config parameters, which I’m OK with.

1 Like

Yep. I don’t want to rag excessively on other products, but looking at the alternative (and I’m not talking about the MB339, which is fantastic, but it’s an entirely different kind of aircraft), I’ll take this any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

There’s a reason why most developers are doing GA props and they’re moving the first little steps into airliners. The F-15 is in uncharted territory, and it’s a lot of fun with that in mind.

I’m using the Thrustmaster Airbus stick and quadrant. Trying to cold/dark start and the engine(s) never start. You hear them cranking but that’s it - likely because fuel flow never leaves -0-. Followed the manual. Also double-checked my procedure against that used in YouTube video. Tried using stock quadrant settings, and leaving quadrant engine switches on and mode normal. Anyone else have this issue? Solution? Thanks!
(BTW at what point are you supposed to turn off the two start switches or do they turn off automatically)

I have the same issue. I heard that it may have something to do with the common issue with mixture control somehow affecting jets in MSFS, but I’m not 100% sure. The developers are already aware of it, so I’d expect to see it fixed with the update next week. After one hour of trying different combinations, I just reverted to CTRL+E which works, since the cold and dark “procedure” is so short that it isn’t all that worth it anyway.

I’ve never tried creating a livery - but would really be interested if someone could do the F-15 in the Thunderbirds paint scheme. I know it’s not a ‘real’ scheme but heck it would be cool. :slight_smile:

I think Flightsim.to has a section specifically for mods requests o all kinds. May be the best way to spark the attention of a painter.

+1

I am so relieved to finally see some common sense.

1 Like

Great review! Hopefully you can keep us updated if the devs fix up stuff on this, as is, $37 seems a bit too steep for me.

Sure I will.

I normally don’t really say much about price, because money means different things for different people. You could say it’s in line with the add-on industry, but I sure hope that with with time the industry will drop prices a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just to put the price in perspective for 40 odd dollars you will get a fully fleshed out modern combat jet in DCS World (free) with advanced FM (including supersonic flight) and complete avionics suite with targeting system, radar etc. in fully clickable cockpits. And the modules often go on sale with 30-50 pct. off.
The DCS World F-15 without clickable cockpit is 10-14 dollars.

In that light the incomplete MSFS F-15 version seem quite steep.

2 Likes

That’s a completely different product for a completely different sim, that has a completely different business model.

If you think the price is steep, you don’t really need to buy it. Several months of work obviously went into this, whether you think it’s good or not.

Incidentally, DCS world doesn’t require you to go through massive hoops in order to make a modern jet fighter work at all, because that’s what it’s for.