My problems solved by new Joystick

I had been having all of the same problems reported. Auto Pilot randomly disengage, erratic flight profile and all the crazy stuff that I have seen on some of the forums.

I had a Microsoft joystick that was pretty old, I would re calibrate it and it would work for one flight and then back to the same problems.

I purchased a new 40.00 joystick and all of my issued have resolved. The programs is spectacular and runs perfectly so far. I basically only fly the props so I can’t speak to any of the more complex aircraft and I offer this only as a possibility for some having the same issues.

4 Likes

That’s great! Thanks for sharing.
Which joystick have you bought? (could be useful for others)

Regards
Steve

1 Like

I bought the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro on Amazon 39.00. I want to invest in a Yoke and throttle combo but I just had a feeling that the old joystick was causing random input and didn’t want to spend a lot of money testing a feeling. So it has been three days and 2 to 3 flights a day with not a problem. Probably won’t be every ones solution but who knows it may work for some.

1 Like

Really glad you solved the problem. I think I was one of those who may have suggested previously that you may have issues with the joystick.

To be honest I think many don’t understand why a good quality joystick is vital in this sim. Lower quality and older joysticks unfortunately can develop jitter. This is especially true if they are potentiometer based which is what most low to medium end joysticks are. Also older joystick may lose their linear progression, causing jumps or random movements.

That jitter when paired with higher sensitivities can cause all sorts of issues. Whilst there are software tricks to solve this, all software tricks effectively do the same thing as when you applur a blur filter to smoothen noise in a photo. Whilst it may reduce noise it can also remove detail.

When the noise and jitter is great, or if the linear response is faulty you cannot work with it anymore.

I actually purchased a thrust master t16000m flight pack prior to FS2020 release as I knew my existing Logitech force feedback pro joystick was already exhibiting problems (it is 15 years old)

The 16000m uses hall sensors which are less effected by noise and more sensitive than potentiometers, and have as such never experienced some of the issues others are experiencing with AP turning off and such. But I am sure after a few years it will start to develop issues.

Anyway hope you are now enjoying flying again!

Great observations.

This sort of issue along with some basic checks (such as emptying the community folder, using the modern flight model, checking controller sensitivties and removing duplicate control assignments) will, I suspect solve 90% plus of the aircraft control issues that people seem to be having.

My last zendesk ticket number was 73,056 - I wonder how many of the other 73,000 tickets that Asobo have are really pilot error?

1 Like

That’s great news! I have been waiting for this stick to become available. NO idea when they will actually have any in stock anywhere tho…

Duplicate flight control inputs was cause of a high % of the AP issues.

If an old stock is the problem, deadzones should solve it.

1 Like

Glad OP fixed issues. I have a 10 year old 3D Pro and it’s being replaced by Virpil VFX grip and TM50 base with bracket. Think that will make my flying more enjoyable. Going to hope the HC Throttle quadrant arrives around same time, as no throttle on JY, so keyboard for that if necessary. But have felt current JS has been some of my problems since sim was released. If’s ok in FSX, but MSFS not so much.

i bought a t16000 and everything works well apart the axis z (rotation of the stick). Initially I assigned it to the rudder. The flight was continually disturbed by random input. Finally I removed this control and linked the rudder command to the airelons. The plane is well controllable on ground and the flight is now perfect. I dont know if it is only my joystick, but in my case the third axle is totally unusable. I did not returned back the product because it was not easy to find one in my country.

Firstly, check on the Windows Control panel - game controller settings, and see if the rudder (twist) is being read correctly by windows. If that is ok, i woudl look at your settigns in MSFS. specifically:

• sensitivities (especially center)
  • assignments… se if somethign else is ALSO assigned ot the rudder.

Thank you.
I tried in the Windows control panel where the inputs to the joystick are visible. Just tapping with a finger on the joystick creates large false responses on the z-axis. So now I am sure it is a defective product.
There is someone in this forum who had the same problem with the T16000 and says he solved it by replacing the drivers with the previous ones (2018_FDD_2). I did that but to no avail.
Given the low availability in the market, I prefer to keep it that way. I mapped both ailerons and rudder to the same axis, keeping a large dead zone for the rudder. This way the ground control is satisfactory and in flight there is some sort of self-coordination.
Given the low availability, it is possible they sold me a defective products already returned from the market.

An excellent choice, sir! Been using mine for 10 years, it’s a beast!

I agree controller problems can be a source of issues in the sim.

Checking on the ‘Sensitivity’ page to see if any axes are bouncing around and to make sure everything is re-centering properly is very useful. If there is any noise or axes aren’t returning to center, use a small deadzone that is wider than the observed error.

That is such a shame (no replacing the drivers will not do anything) it MAY be a pinched wire, or a dirty sensor on the axis if you are brave enough to open it? But its not a common problem, just bad luck on your part.

Hope you can return it later if possible. I have the full FCS, I am able to use the rudder on the throttle as well (as well as the pedals), but my twist works fine.

Yes, I guess I’m not lucky with joysticks. This is the third one I’ve tried in a few months. The previous T16000 had started giving the same problem on the linear power control. After landing, I could not stop the plane on the runway because the motor kept receiving false acceleration pulses. I disassembled it following a video on Youtube but the slider is sealed, there is not much you can do. When I managed to reassemble it it worked worse than before. So, no more joysticks for now. I try to fly with what I have :sweat_smile:.