Navaid range issues?

Hi,

I made my first DC-6 flight in the sim last night, from Ketchikan to Comox. I experienced a range problem with several navaids; notably, the YZP and YZT VORs (both of which are (H) class stations) and the YJQ and QQ NDBs.

I was at 15,000ft and was unable to receive either VOR more than 40nm from the stations. At my altitude, a high-class VOR should have a usable range of over 100nm. I was never able to receive either NDB, at all. I think Comox might be a terminal-class beacon, but Bella Bella (YJQ) should also have had a range of over 100nm.

Are there known issues with navaid range in this sim? If so, is there any way to edit navdata files to fix them?

Thanks!

Plenty of topics on this. Just use the search function and type navaid range.

Navigraph just updated all the navaids so that their ranges are accurate. I have a subscription to Navigraph and also have their MSFS beta installed, so I’m not sure which did the update. There was just a choice to load the data when I updated to the latest airac.

Go to their site and do some research. You may be able to get it without the subscription. But the subscription is well worth it.

I did and I’ve read them, but they all seemed to reach no conclusion, hence my two questions: is it a known issue, and can they be edited?

Can I ask why the subscription is worth it? I don’t need charts, I’ve got them, and it seemed like Asobo was updating the navdata on their own. Now if it fixes broken data I can understand…

That’s subjective. For me, it’s worth it. Someone else? Maybe not. You need to decide for yourself.

if you get LittleNavMap, that app reads the VOR ranges from the MSFS database, and you can add them on the map view, so you know what to expect.

LNM is pretty great for planning routes with the DC-6.

1 Like

That’s handy, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.