Navigraph acquires Simbrief

Hope its not like the McDonnell Douglas and Boeing Merger, two companies went in, and they scrapped all the products of MDC. except for a few,

Of course, you are right, I do not criticize your choice and your thinking. That the person sells his project, so much the better, he collected the fruit of his excellent work.

Sorry for your hamster…

1 Like

Scroll up and look at my peanut butter and jelly analogy. Also look at how closely SB and Navigraph have been working together for the last 7 years. Thats not something competition does.

SB handles dispatch (flight planning). It calculates fuel burn, weights, routing, weather, everything. That flight planning uses up-to-date navigational data (airac) from navigraph. This is something that you pay for, been like that for a while.

SB does not gather up and sell its own nav data. They’ve had navigraph integration for years for that reason.

Navigraph operates like an ecosystem - they have a charts system (navigraph charts) which shows basically every chart and frequency you could need (vfr charts still in the works), they have a system which tracks your positional data from the sim so you can see where you are in the charts (navigraph simlink), they have an FMS manager, the have mobile apps and they have an API for charts and other info that can be accessed in the cockpit displays IN the sim. All of these services work together fluidly.

5 Likes

THE HAMSTER!! That was your takeaway! Read it again. The poor guy lost a total of 100fps! If that were me I am not sure the hamster would have survived anyway.

1 Like

I think this is great news, I use both Navigraph and Simbrief and would pay more for a more complete product with planning. There are alternatives for those who choose and Simbrief is to remain free for now.
For the flight planning process to be integrated into Navigraph would be most excellent.

1 Like

So, the value SB brings to NG is if NG wants to expand from a charting service into the planning arena. Fingers crossed that SB stays free.

2 Likes

Yet more speculation but…I suspect SB will still have a free side. NG bought SB to acquire the intellectual property so as to integrate SB seamlessly into the NG ecosystem.

2 Likes

This is a hot topic. As another poster said, thanks for the heads up about this development! When I was doing a landing competition inside MSFS 2020 the other day, I realized there were 10s of thousands of people ahead of me (and behind me)… there are A LOT of simmers, but I wonder how many of these simmers are only gamers… needless to say, I would hope that Navigraph, Simbrief, and MSFS 2020 go a step further and make a service to integrate all into the Virtual Reality world, that would be worth paying for!

2 Likes

That made me chuckle. I have many thousands of hours behind me, but VERY few behind me on the landing challenges. They always want me to land long and float the touchdown. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Something tells me that as long as Asobo/MS and NavBlue are in bed together, we will likely not see any MSFS integration with a Navigraph flight planner. Just speculation

Yep, pretty much. To elaborate, it’s more about acquiring another business as an arm of your own. Navigraph will still be doing charts and fms data management, but will now also be including a more robust flight planning solution into their portfolio from SB thanks to the acquisition. SB does an amazing job at flight planning. To have that flight planning process become, integrated and streamlined, and to have that become part of the navigraph ecosystem means great things for ease of use.

Like you said, hopefully SB can remain free. But even then “free” was never really free, as SB always required you to have a navigraph subscription to have the latest airac data anyway (for up-to-date routing). But yeah, we’ll see where this goes.

I dont think it’ll go south, but if it does, someone else will see an opportunity to make something better/cheaper and gobble up some of that sweet sweet market share.

I for one am just glad to see continued development in flight sim software and integration.

Yup. I concur.

I would love to have Simbrief functionality built right into Navigraph. It would be nice to have all the functionality in 1 tool vs having to go to SimBrief, so your thing, go into Navigraph, import…

4 Likes

Very good news. Next I think PMDG should buy Navigraph, and then Microsoft should buy PMDG and FSLabs both, and NASA should buy Google and Laminar Research and we can have a glorious flight simulator battle!

2 Likes

Simbrief is in no way “competition” to Navigraph. They offer completely different services. Simbrief provides flight planning, and Navigraph provides navigation databases and charts.

The two services complement each other. Simbrief is tightly integrated with Navigraph nav data, and has been since its inception. Flight planning software can’t “do anything” without a navigation database, and Navigraph has always been the database source that literally powers Simbrief.

4 Likes

What would be really cool is if after you upload your Navigraph AIRAC to Simbrief, to then have Simbrief sync your flightplan to simMarket’s Gsim Kneeboard and navlog

Maybe Navigraph will complete the trifecta and buy out Navblu…

Navblue

“An Airbus company”

I wouldn’t bet your house on that happening but you never know :thinking:

Onto the topic, I personally have no issue with this acquisition at all ; I think @HalberQuacky gives a well reasoned enough explanation just above.

As far as I’m concerned , if you’re a Navigraph subscriber, and Navigraph uses its input to improve the integration between Navigraph and Simbrief, then happy days for subscribers.

Or, possibly SImbrief remains provided as a free version and kept as it is now, and Navigraph provide an improved version of Simbrief with some enhanced functionality that’s included with the Navigraph sub. The non subscriber users won’t lose out as they get to keep using what they’ve had for a long time now, and the subscribers will gain something additional through their sub.

Time will tell.

2 Likes

I think he gets it now, you literally said the exact same thing I did, but 3 hours later. I feel like you couldve saved yourself some time and effort by reading the posts above yours. Now this thread is going in circles…

1 Like