(NDU registry change) Increase performance immediately! AMAZING!

That is interesting to read, however my issue was not with a RAM memory leak, but with the CPU.
Before the fix (as I even showed in my streams in twitch) my CPU was at 90-100% during gameplay in LEMD with the Fenix, after the fix my CPU does not go above 80%, and thus the stutters have disappeared.

Again, I am no expert in the field, I am just a youtuber and lawyer, but this is indeed helping with my issue, since if I revert the changes (I just tested it today) I once again go back to low fps, high CPU ussage and unplayable stutters.

Then again, it does not help everyone, as you have pointed out, I tried today the fix on my second PC and I have seen 0 effect. Afaik all my drivers are up to date in this PC so I could not tell you what the hell is going on hahaha

1 Like

hmmmā€¦ high cpu load can then of course cause stutters, in special in situations where msfs is already cpu bound.

But would be intressting what that cause it then. It is then no longer the same as the old issue, but may be still network driver related ? :thinking: I know that the main issue was with Killer network cards, and I think MSI tooā€¦ may beā€¦

There must somewhat that cause it, and Iā€™am so inressted to find it out :grin:

But of course also valid is, what I already wrote:
users can try it , but may be there is no effect. Disabling the ndu kernel driver have at least no negative impact ( think nobody need that network stats ).

Yes this is that one and most annoying flaw or bug (or ā€œfeatureā€) this simulator hasā€¦
No matter how fast the NVMe ist, no matter how much and how fast the RAM ist, no matter how much VRAM the graphics card has and how good the CPU is: The sim runs very good but after ~15-30 minutes of flying (depending on the location) the performance slowly begins to degrade and crawl down into nothingness.
And no itĀ“s not an ā€œoverheating problem, and no I donĀ“t need to have a look if the power plug of my computer is plugged in correctly and if my drivers are updatedā€ or other nonsenseā€¦ :smiley:
Until it ends up in complete unplayable stuttering and trying to land with 7 FPS or so on midrange PCs.
But it looks like ultra high end computers have this problem too.

ItĀ“s especially bad when flying over cities, the start the beginning of the flight the ascent everything runs smooth and fine, and afterā€¦ hm I donĀ“t exactly how long but maybe ~15 minutes of flight or so the FPS-rate sloooowly but steady starts to go down and down and down.

Well as soon as the Flight Sim is fully downloaded I will try your trick tempering around with the regedit. Thank you very much for this tip!

But how did you find out and what exactly does manipulating these regedit settings do with the sim?

1 Like

Fortunately not me. Iā€™ve never had that slowdown issue.

1 Like

Hello,

For me on windows 11, the fix corrected the problem with long haul flights dropping to 3 fps after more than 4 hours, I was able to do a flight from 9h39 without issue for the first time.

Have a nice day !

2 Likes

Hello sir,
Iā€™m expierienceing the exact same problem on a pretty much high end machine (i7-12700k, RTX 2080 super, 32GB RAM). Have you found any solution yet? NDU thing did nothing and itā€™s pretty much impossible to land with 7 FPS. For my part Main thread time was extremly high after one hour or so after takeoff, thatā€™s what caused high FPS.
Cheers

This NDU tweak actually hurt MSFS performance with a significant increase in stutters and what felt like very low FPS. Setting the registry back to a value of 2 brought my in-SIM performance back to normal - which was already pretty good.

Win 11 Pro, 5950X, RTX 3090, 64GB

It canā€™t possibly have because @JetWash1023 reports it makes no difference. If it doesnā€™t improve things, then it canā€™t harm them either, right?

Not seeking an argument, just stating a logical discrepancy here.

For the record, Iā€™ve been running with NDU disabled for weeks, and I canā€™t categorically say it has improved or harmed performance.

What I could claim is whatever tiny benefit I might have for from it is swallowed up by the performance difference between SU8, and SU9. I ended up dropping TLoD to 300 from 400. This small change doesnā€™t affect visuals all that much, unless you zoom your view all the way looking for tiny trees. What it does is improve ground performance no end.

1 Like

Iā€™am still intressted why some users see an effect.

It is a little bit un-nice that most report only things like " felt " significant " , etc ( what ever all that mean ). and not concret values.

I tried to find a common ground, but because users not report back which kind of network card and drivers they have installed, it is nothing else as ā€œlooking into a glass ballā€.
My assumption is still, that we not have one single user which is affected from the original refered ndu issue : a memory leak. If there is an effect, it must somewhat else and disabling this kernel driver only hides the root cause ( of course beside of the fact that nobody realy need that stats which ndu creates :rofl: )

1 Like

It made no difference for me but I do belieive others when they say it solved their issues.

There are so many hardware and driver vaiables and combine that with the number possible combination mixes of hardware and drivers itā€™s safe to say everyoneā€™s PC has itā€™s own unique quirks.

I pitty game developers. The worst posible scenario for a developer is not been able to reporduce the error on their test machines! You canā€™t fix what you canā€™t see!

In any case I do agree that the NDU change shouldnā€™t have an affect BUT instead the change is likely effecting something else that is harming the games performance on some PCā€™s; hence covering up another issue!

I ran a test last night and noticed that when I sat the end of a runway ready for take off I was getting 60 fps; when I landed back at the airport an hour later and sat in the exact same position on the runway my fps was now 55. I did that at 3 more different airports and noticed a similar drop in fps and only got that back after restarting the flight

So in my mind I think many people may be having the same problem but to a lesser degree where they donā€™t notice it. Heck I didnā€™t until last night!

So yeah me too. I want to know whatā€™s going here as I might gain some of that fps back once itā€™s solved

3 Likes

FWIW, here you go:

System Specā€™s: Win11 Pro, ASUS ROG Crosshair Extreme VIII, AMD Ryzen 5950X, ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090, Corsair Vengeance 3600mHz CL14 64GB (4x16)

This just made my PC unstable and i saw GPU artifacts as the sim was loading. How odd :thinking: I know it works for others, just a bit strange i get so bad results here.

1 Like

thanksā€¦ Intel I225-Vā€¦ thats intresstingā€¦

There are new Intel network drivers available:

EDIT: noticed now that you own Win11.

Windows 10

I think Windows 11 is this side :

Soā€¦ you have the one existing version for Windows 11. so, question is back in my mind : Is it a win11 thing :thinking:

I had for my I219-V a newer version installed, also because of issues with intel and the older versions. But since around a year I have a 10g Asus card and so I no longer use the Intel ( and also driver is not the most newest )

My board has Intel (2.5G) + Marvell (10G) on board + Wi-Fi + Bluetooth

For the moment Iā€™m only using the 2.5G connection and have the others (except for BT) disabled in BIOS.

flying around Las Vegas, most settings on Ultra, donā€™t see any difference with this registry change, fps 30-70 depending on TLOD, keeping on 100-200 ā€¦ I7 9700k, RTX 2070 Super, DDR4 2133 60 Gb, 1080, DLDSR 2.25, 1TB NVMe, 500 Gbps ā€¦

not here either - never really had any performance problems or degradation - even though Iā€™m using a tripple screen setup (3x32" @5760x1080). Before SU5 I had FPS drops - but that was probably because the LIVE weather was updating and the AEROSOL values were reloaded. (this is also known from the REX Weather Engine when it is activated). I reported this to Asobo but it was never confirmed - since SU7, since the weather has been completely (unfortunately) changed, I hardly have these FPS drops.

And with this ā€œtweakā€ here, my computer becomes quite unstable - i.e. CTDā€™s, also in MSFS - where I actually hardly have any. But also with other titles (online) like Hell Let Losse etcā€¦
Just as info.
My drivers are always up to date - and the overclocking, especially memory I have taken back, since hardly any more problems with MSFS.
My system: Intel Core i9 10920X @4.6 Ghz (water cooled), TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB RAM (@3200 Mhz), Geforce RTX3090, all SSD (different hard drives for system, MSFS, games and MSFS scenery and addons)!
My settings are almost all on ULTRA except LOD (on 200) !
Traffic boats and ships on 6% (because of Global AI Ship Traffic) and cars on 30% !
Online services everything on - except multiplayer - AI Traffic AIG - rolling cache off !
May I ask in general what settings you have for traffic - especially road traffic - because as it was with FSX it really builds up over time - at least it did - and when itā€™s at 100% it gets a bit too much !

WIN11, i7-12700K, ASUS STRIX2080Ti OC, 32 GB DDR5 RAM. No performance increase at all. in my test, i even lost 1FPS. Default cessna 172 (analog), same sim-time, clear sky preset.

MSFS crashed afer the first start after i applied this tweak. Restartet it and it is fine for now.
Not sure if this helps in any way or is causing instability.

As i flown FENIX for more than 20 hours in the last week, on ultra setting, with no single CTD or performance issue, im not gonna risk an unstable sim, as it didnt do anything for my performance anyway.

Just reporting my findings on Win 11 with a pretty good and stable Sim and PC setup. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if turning NDU off has done anything for me. At least I havenā€™t got any adverse effects. Iā€™ve also uninstalled Toolbar Pushback. Iā€™m able to do 5hr flights in the Fenix without any performance degradation, so I guess Iā€™m lucky.

1 Like

I turned the NDU setting back. What really changed my life was this, try it out:

Murphā€™s Tip - Process Lasso - Real-Time CPU Optimization and Automation by Bitsum

There is a fantastic freeware program that can have a very positive effect on the performance in MSFS. Especially making things a little bit smoother. Process Lasso comes as a freeware program (payware version also available with a little more customisation).

It has pre-defined profiles that manage system power and CPU balance. I recommend Performance Mode - you can select this from the Main menu drop down. Once you have the Sim running, open Process Lasso and click on Active processes. Right click on the MSFS.exe file and make the following changes. Priority Class > Always > High. Then go to the next option, CPU Affinity > Always > Select all CPU Threads.

1 Like

and a very negative effectā€¦ as we know from a lot of forum posts not sooo long agoā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes