Need Assistance...Virpil Constellation Unusable

I’ve purchased a CM3 and a Constellation Alpha with WarBRD Base.
To overcome limitations of Windows, under advisement, I utilese vJoy and Joystick Gremlin.
The setup works flawlessly in Elite Dangerous but the Constellation is unusable in MSFS.
Despite all axis being bound to aerilons, rudder and pitch…everything is overdone and exagerated.
Slight roll, I try and compensate and do all but a barrel roll. Rudder twitches then applies full deflection with a clang, pitch control is like a roller coaster. My old CH Product Gear at least let me take off and land.

Any clues as to what the hell is going on?

You must first run the Virpil setup and calibrate all axis in that program.
Maybe firmware updates, too - but be careful: never connect more than one Virpil device to your PC during firmware updates!!!

Have you also ensured you have definitely assigned the hardware to axis in the control options? Most controls assignments also have a ‘digital’ equivalent in the settings that react like a button press, i.e. either on or off.

Done all of that, thanks.

If everything is calibrated and assigned to the correct axes, does the Virpil software allow you to adjust the response curves of the joystick?
I have a VKB Gladiator and found that adjusting the curves in the manufacturers software and applying them to the device directly works much better than messing around with the curves, sensitivity, reactivity and deadzone settings in the sim.

Well, finally realized that AXIS (single entry) had to be utilised instead of AXIS Up then AXIS Down.
My bad and thanks all for putting me on the right track for Aerilons and Pitch. My Twist Rudder is still a bit of a nightmare though, anyone else using Constellation Alpha and Twist for Rudder?
Also, whats best on the Alpha to utilise for Pitch Trim and Rudder Trim - all opinions valid and will be tried out.

If I cant get the twist rudder behaving properly then I may have to bite the bullet and order Virpil Rudder Pedals.

Thanks everyone.

Definitely consider getting rudder pedals anyway.
When upgrading my set up a few years ago I bought pedals for the first time and for me this was game changer. Indeed if I were to go back in time and do the whole thing again I would probably get a set of pedals first.

Get a set with toe brakes and then you will be set forever regardless of what titles you play.

1 Like

I used to use the twist on my Gladiator for the rudder, but agree wholeheartedly with somethingbrite that rudder pedals are a massive leap in playability and realism.
You should be able to get the twist rudder working OK in sim though. Same thing applies as to elevators and ailerons - make sure you are binding to the correct axis (experiment if needs be) and maybe try a less reactive curve in your Virpil software if available, or in the sim if not.

1 Like

At least with the VKB pedals there is no practical loss of functionality even without physical toe brake no matter what title you play. It’s more of a realism/emotional thing. Comparable perhaps to flying F-16 with a regular joystick vs. flying it with force sensing one

Not sure if Virpil pedals without toe brakes come pre-set with similar virtual toe brakes though.

WHAT! WHAT!? OMGosh, this was it!

I had 100% the same experience. Any Discovery flight I played I was crashing within seconds. Unplayable. I was super bummed! Everything works in my other sims, NP.

It’s b/c I had set up all my primary controls using the Axis Up then Axis Down (etc.) After finding this post I set everything using the single axis control and it’s smooth like ice wine now!

Whew! This saved MSFS for me!