Need Help with G1000 and Ignoring Waypoints

I’m using the NXI G1000 on the 172 and on my first PLN file using Little Navmap, which is amazing by the way. I created a simple flight plan in LNM, exported it as PLN file, and loaded it into MSFS.

Flight went fine using AP in GPS mode. However, at the end of the flight, GPS nav mode decided to ignore my last waypoint and head directly to the airport. I reloaded and panned down to the area (panning speed is awful by the way!) and once again, saw that even tho my route is properly plugged into the G1000, it makes the curve towards the airfield way too early.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? In the screenshot (from Little Navmap), you’ll see the dotted line is the path my plane flew. Notice how instead of continuing on to IF32, it made a left rounded turn right past the airfield. In the screenshots of the G1000 in-game, you can also see that left turn, and even how the Flight Plan looks correct, even tho the last way point is ignored.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Moved to #self-service:aircraft-systems

1 Like

If the intention was to use that USR point as a basis to get you lined up for landing, it’s better to use the NXI’s Visual Approach capability. It will calculate a TOD and a three NM final approach fix as well as give you vertical guidance to threshold. Note that VA mode does not account for obstacle clearance, PIC is responsible for that. Just set one final AP like USR 3, but then use the Procedures Menu to load the Visual Approach. Or you could even load the VA before USR 3 but given this is a Valley, you want to be oriented and clear of obstacles before trying this approach.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, it was my intention to use that USR point as a way to get lined up to land. I’m still pretty new so I don’t quite understand your instructions for landing, but I can read up on it and mess with it.

However, that being said, as this was my first attempt to use Little Navmap and an exported PLN file, I’d still like to understand why it decided to skip the last navpoint. I just don’t know why it didn’t continue onto USR04 when AP in NAV/GPS mode didn’t have a problem following the plan to USR01 to USR03.

I’d hate to setup a scenic tour of some location just to find out after 20 minutes of flying, it decided to ignore way points for reasons I don’t understand.

Thanks for your help!

I don’t think it skipped it. I think the issue was your extremely acute turn angle was impossible to fly, so it calculated an earlier turn was necessary to hit your next waypoint.

In instances like this, some flight systems allow you to designate a waypoint as “Overfly” and it will not turn until crossing it. But usually you want to create a plan with turns that are not so extreme to cause the AP system these difficulties.

1 Like

Huh, well I guess I’m wondering how/why what logic it used to determine it was too acute of an angle. I mean, yes, I agree, it’s a pretty sharp turn. But the G1000 doesn’t know if I’m in a 172, a fighter jet, or a car, so it doesn’t know my capabilities and thus how would it know it’s “too sharp” of a turn for my vehicle to handle?

Is there G1000 documentation saying “any turn over 290 degrees and the G1000 ignores the turn, and goes to the next way point”?

I’m not trying to disagree with you, honest! I’m just curious what the parameters are so I know what to avoid when making flight plans. What’s interesting is that you can see it “rounded off” my first waypoint at USR03 as well! I only noticed that now! Wonder whats up!

Especially if I absolutely wanted to fly over USR03 and USR04 and not have it round it off. Is that an option somewhere in the G1000?

I’m going to adjust the flight plan to look like this and see if it works!

I think that did it! By GOOD GOD how on EARTH do you increase the Cursor Speed on the G1000?!?! It takes literally 5+ minutes to scroll to the side of the window, and then scroll to the position I want to see and then zooming in, you often lose it and have to start again!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.