Need Help With Symbolic Links in Community Folder

That is not where your Community folder is.

Open with Notepad:
C:\Users\userID\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

The last line of this file tells you where your “Local Packages” are installed.
mine → InstalledPackagesPath “D:\FS2020”
That is where your Community Folder is.
And also the FS2020 files (Official & OneStore).

2 Likes

TenPatrol,
So, if I reinstalled and let MSFS install itstelf on the C drive, it would install its 264 GB of data on the C drive under the Official Folder.

That’s what I wanted to avoid by installing Flight Simulator on a separate drive. MSFS made its own symbolic links in c:\users…

I understand we can move the Community Folder, but can we indeed have the Official Folder on a different drive?

This is all so confusing to me. But I’m getting it sorted.
Thanks for the help.

That’s how I built mine old school DOS.

When you install the sim from scratch you will see a window asking you where to install the sim. It’s the same window that appears when a sim update is released. At the bottom right you can choose the drive, and folder where you want the sim installed. Inside this folder you will find the Community, and Official folders.

MSFSRonS,
The path I listed is where my community and official folders really are. MSFS creates symbolic links from the C drive pointing to my H drive (where MSFS is installed).

I think what TenPatrol is saying is don’t install MSFS on my H drive at all.

My question now is: can (and will) the official folder be wherever you decide to put the community folder? I would think yes. 'Cause I sure don’t want that amount of data on my C drive.

I use Win 11 and create symbolic links in the community folder just like TenPatrol posted above using the Link Shell Extension.

You can use the FS2020 “Move” command to move FS2020 to wherever you want it.
To any drive.

Settings, Apps, Installed Apps, Microsoft Flight Simulator
Select the 3 dots and the “Move” command.

This “Move” program will move FS2020 to the drive you choose and will install Symbolic links on your C: drive to the new physical location of the FS2020 data.

If during the FS2020 installation, you chose a new location for the install, this is what the FS2020 install did.

My FS2020 is installed on my D: drive.
Note the WpSystem folder.

Community & Official & OneStore is saved in the FS2020 folder.

2 Likes

But I think that’s where I’m running into permission issues and not being able to create symbolic links in the community folder via link shell extension. (I can create junctions, tho)

I’ve finally gotten a chance to take a look at AddOns Linker and I think I’ll try that for a while – see how it fits. I like that you can create presets. Also like the fact that if it stops development or breaks for some reason, my assets and folders/folder structure is left alone. And I could easily go back to the old way of dropping links by hand.

I was trying to answer your question.

I don’t know what you want assistance for and know nothing
about Link Shell Extension.

1 Like

If you use the installer to create the path, they will be. But not if you manually create the Symbolic Links, you can have the different folders in different locations by linking to ‘Official’ and ‘Community’ individually.

I create my Symbolic Links using Command Prompt.

2 Likes

Dont install launcher on H drive or partition.

Install laucnher on C (2GB) packages and community on H.

For example
H:\MSFS 2020\Official\OneStore
H:\MSFS 2020\Community

So now create folder named MSFS 2020 on H.

Go to

H:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-1957421520-3008539413-1889401979-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

• copy Official and Community folders
  • paste into H → MSFS 2020

Important
Uninstall MSFS → YES, uninstall MSFS :wink:

Restart PC.

Open Xbox app
Click My Library → Microsoft Flight Simulator
Install

Install MSFS launcher (2GB) on C
By default → C:\XboxGames

(…)

Launch MSFS

Once you reach the installation manager screen - click on the path bar (address bar).

Select the folder you created earlier H:\MSFS 2020

let the installation manager scan the existing files

Fly safe capt!

2 Likes

This is a little confusing. By launcher, I think @tenpatrol is referring to the FS2020 Install program which can only be installed on the C: (or boot) drive of your computer if you want FS2020 to work.

This may have been modified since then.

Reference:
All Things How – 3 Jan 22 - Where are Microsoft Store Apps Installed in Windows 11?

Where are Microsoft Store Apps Installed? Windows? 11 or 10
need to access the installation files of an app you downloaded from the Microsoft Store? Here’s a quick guide to help you through the process.

Est. reading time: 7 minutes
Quote from this article:
"Microsoft Store apps function like any other app in your system. However, they are not stored like any other app when installed. By default, the installation location of Microsoft Store apps is not visible.

Apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store are saved in a folder called ‘WindowsApps’ inside the ‘Program Files’ directory of your Windows installation drive. This folder is hidden by default on every Windows system but it’s fairly easier to unhide and access the contents of it."
End Article quote:

Note the “‘Program Files’ directory of your Windows installation drive”.
If you install Windows on any drive other than your C: drive, that is your Windows installation drive.
Also referred to as the “Boot” drive.

This folder is Hidden until you change File Explorer to show Hidden Items. But even when it is shown, you cannot see the contents of this folder. It is protected from view and access by the system and FS2020 App.

Installed Packages
In the new MS Store/Xbox download program, click the location in the box for the default location C:\Users… and tell it where to install FS2020. (Browse button removed)

Note that this refers to the installation of the “Installed Packages” and not to the installation of the FS2020 apps covered above. They must remain on your boot drive.

You may want to create a new folder location before doing this.
like → D:\MSFS2020\

You can also “Move” FS2020 via the Windows, Settings, MS Flight Simulator App “Move” command.
This will move the “Installed Packages” from the boot drive to whatever drive you specify.

The “Installed Packages” are:
WpSystem folder
Community folder
Official folder
OneStore folder

Thanks everybody for the help. I think I understand it now. I was being a bit dim, but y’all’s explanations have made me see the light.

So thanks especially MSFSRon and TenPatrol for that detailed and clear post.

Probably can end the thread now, but hopefully will be of use to future peeps.

M.

3 Likes

You’re very welcome - fly safe capt.