Need some autopilot help please!

I’m still learning MSFS 2020 and have done a couple of flights entirely flown by the AI pilot so I can play around with views and just get a feel for how to do ‘gear-to-gear’ flights. I set up a full flight in the world map for this and assign an actual approach. Then when I start at the departure runway I let the AI Pilot fly until I land.

My understanding is that the full flight plan is loaded into the aircraft before departure (based on the world map selections) and the AI pilot flies this plan as indicated on the flight display (not sure of the exact term) when I select ‘Plan’. The VFR map also shows the correct flight plan route being flown.

What I want to be able to do (eventually) is to take off on my own and then engage autopilot and the let the plane fly itself, then when on finals I want to disconnect the autopilot and land manually.

What is the correct procedure to engage and disengage the autopilot so that most of the route gets flown by the autopilot (and not the AI pilot)?

The AI Pilot is not the Autopilot.

Autopilot is what some planes have inside their cockpit.

I am not sure what you are using right now and what you want to use in the future.

I’m using AI Pilot now. I want to use the aircraft’s autopilot.

To enable the autopilot you only have to push the autopilot button on the mcp

The autopilot procedures vary by aircraft. What plane are you specifically using?

The AI Pilot - let’s call him/her “Charlie” has limited skill as an automated version of a human. Let’s just say turning on AP already has some challenges in operation. Adding Charlie into the mix may not give you the best experience.

Run through your preflight check list Im going to use the cessna 208 as a ref since I can fly that thing in my sleep.

1st press B on your keyboard to make sure bar pressure is okay…

2nd turn your prop rpms down to around 1600 this will keep you from having to use to much rudder for lauch.

3rd .release parking brake, apply light throttle just until the plane starts to roll, center the plane on the runway, apply more throttle, by default the plane will be trimmed enough so when you reach takeoff speed it will start to lift from the runway by itself.

4.Climb to a safe altitude increase throttle, and retract flaps, now me Im lazy, so I’ll flip on FD button, then AP button, now click on Altitude button, it will select an altitude close to what your flying. Now you can either press the center of the heading button, and the arrow in you left hud (cyan color) should jump to the heading your currently flying, press the button Above the Heading dial and the plane will now follow that heading, to change heading just turn the dial until the cyan arrow on your left display is pointing the direction you want to go.

1. Now go do the dishes or other chores while the autopilot flies you to your desired location. ;p

Landing is just as simple from simplest method

1. Find your airport

2. Figure out which way the runway runs

3. (optional) call atc and request landing clearance

4. Using the controls as stated above, dial in you approach,

5. Reduce throttle to desired landing speed (I use around 90-100 knts in the 208)
    and then drop flaps to 1st position, once the plane settles click the AP button, then the FD button now auto pilot and flight director are turned off

6. now its all you start your descent, flare, touchdown, retract flaps, call tower (or maybe they’ll call you i dont use it just so bad) and to through the rigamarole of parking …

This should work on most any plane, just the AP/FD’s will be a little bit different.

1 Like

Yes, for example in the TBM930 you have the autopilot to aktivate on the overhead panel

Sorry I forgot to mention. I was flying the A320 Neo.

Thank you for that level of detail, @BubbaBlitz7348.

If you are a beginner I suggest you try a small aircraft before using the A320

1 Like

The neo will kind of fly the same way, just translate to the appropriate controls.

Thanks for all the responses.

A more detailed question: is the entire flight plan loaded into the aircraft’s computer when I create it in the world map? Put another way, will the aircraft fly itself from departure airport to destination airport if I engage autopilot some time after take-off?

The AI Pilot isn’t that accurate, which is why I want to use autopilot.

It should be, it used to be, but thats another feature I dont really use. Im either just wandering around as it were, or know where Im going and know the general heading I need to follow to get there.

The A320 isn’t the best plane to start on, even procedurally.

Look at it from this perspective. The A320 stock version is not well received, due to lack of functionality. Most fans of this jet end up using a third party Modification which requires a lot more system and aviation specific knowledge than most novices would be comfortable with.

The most basic and straight forward plane with an autopilot to teach someone is the G1000 equipped Cessna 172 Skyhawk. I would really recommend you start there.

2 Likes

This thing about the 320 is … you dont fly the plane … the plane flies you! apologies to yakov on that one… ;p

1 Like

Okay, I’ll start off with the Cessna 172. I did install the G1000 NXi from Marketplace when I was busy ticking anything that was free! I understand that will replace the stock G1000 in this aircraft. Is it okay to go with the NXi?

Absolutely. The NXi is the realistic version compared to stock and will at some point permanently be installed in all G1000 equipped planes in the sim.

I haven’t viewed them myself, but many users swear by a YouTube account called Kip on the Ground, he covers the NXi in detail if your learning style is to watch.

1 Like

Thanks to all that helped me in this thread! I used the Cessna 172 with the G1000 to do a flight from London City airport to London Heathrow airport this evening.

I made some mistakes along the way:

1. I had to set GPS mode on the G1000. Whilst it was in NAV mode the Cessna just went round in circles!

2. As I got closer to Heathrow the aircraft stayed at 3,000 feet and did not follow the glidescope down to the runway. I caught it in time and disengaged the autopilot and flew down to the runway manually. That was fine but I did not understand why it just stayed at 3,000 feet.

Anyway, it’s all good. I feel a post in the ‘Addicted’ thread coming in the next few days! :smiley:

Different planes have different autopilot auto disengage modes. Some newer airliners will almost land themselves. Other planes autopilots won’t work under a certain altitude. When it comes to autopilot it most smaller planes if you are flying a true IFR you will have to catch the glide slope, and hit approach hold on the autopilot still comes down to you lining it up though usually.