Need spawn points holding short of runway with aircraft running

It would be nice to have spawning points in takeoff configuration, short of runway hold line instead of on runway or at least added to airports spawn points. In live mode there are too many multiplayer aircraft on runway. I never understood starting on the runway.

It really wouldn’t be that hard to do. You have full control over runway spawn locations when making your own runway in your custom scenery. We just can’t yet edit existing scenery to make the changes and I highly doubt they will do it to all airports manually.

I’m hopeful that they soon figure out how to let us edit the world default scenery.

This is a good idea, despite the fact I like to start on a GA ramp. It’s nice to have options.

Considering, however, that we currently have taxi light light posts in the middle of some taxiways - and other misplaced objects, it might not be such an easy fix. With all the other things they need to fix / improve I’d put this way down the list. (Others, no doubt, would put it higher up.)

In one of the early alphas it did it, perhaps unintentionally. It was extremely impressive to see it though. I even blurted out a ‘wow!’
I took a screenshot in Queenstown which got published.

I propose the cinematic selection have another option:
Cinematics: Play / Skip
Ready Position: Holding Point / On Runway

It seems the sim knows where the holding points are. Just omit the automatic taxiing if the selection is ‘holding short’

Yeah, I’d much prefer starting at the hold short over starting on the runway as default.

I know it’s easiest for new players to just push the throttle forwards and go in a straight line, but it’s way more exciting to taxi out, line up and punch it. You lose a little bit by starting on the runway ( in addition to annoying other players inadvertently in MP - ie… walking away from the PC while loading a flight )

I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten much more attention, and no comments since Oct…

Especially helpful for multiplayer flights, I agree!

There is an issue that is fundamental to what msfs actually is. For some people it is a game that they just want to plug their console in and play.

For other people it is an immersive experience that requires a lot of learning and knowledge, hardware and setup.

MS/Asobo understandably want new game players to spawn ready for takeoff. Otherwise they’ll be pretty lost.

The problem is that IRL this cannot happen, and it spoils things for others when it happens in the sim. At least nobody dies, as it would IRL.

Perhaps one option is that by default, spawing on the active runway is on, but multiplayer is off by default. Switch multiplayer on, and spawning on runways toggles to off. These settings don’t have to be enforced, just to be the defaults.

As for what to do when there is no hold point? that’s easy. If there is no hold point for a runway, the runway is its own hold point.

Even if the default is spawn on the runway, a ‘Spawn at holding point’ option would be greatly appreciated. That holding point could be half way down the runway, requiring you to backtrack. It could be at the threshold if no holding points or taxiways exist.

The option I propose would simply use the spawn point used by the ‘Ready to Fly’ cut scene. Clicking ‘Fly Now’ would not reposition you to the threshold, just at the point the aircraft is at in that scene.

The tech alpha did it, before the cut scene was created. I was extremely impressed with this, until they changed it to the present system. I even let out a ‘Wow!’ when I saw it first. (I even took a screenshot at that moment as I was so impressed, which ended up being published during the tech alpha!)

1 Like

Alternatively, two buttons:

• “Start On Runway”
  • “Start at Holding Point”