Needing help please to get VR working

Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction or provide some things to try?

Specs first:

• MSFS MS Store version.
  • Steam and Steam VR installed.
  • Pico 4 headset
  • AMD 5800X3D
  • RTX 3090
  • 32GB Ram

Pico is set up and working on it’s own fine. Set up wireless link to pc using the Pico Streaming Assistant. That also appears to be working fine as I can start Steam VR on the PC and view in the Pico. Gone through the set up and all appears fine. If I launch MSFS - hangs near end of loading if Steam VR is running but start MSFS first then connect Pico and Steam VR then I can see MSFS 2D in the headset. I can start a flight and sitting on the runway ready to take off. As soon as I hit CTRL+Tab or use the Switch to VR option in the menu, MSFS just hangs. Audio from MSFS continues to play but MSFS is otherwise unresponsive. I can switch to other apps just fine and view them in the Pico.

So far I have tried reinstalling Steam VR, changing between DX11 and DX12, MSFS in safe mode and installing latest Nvidia drivers. Still the exact same behaviour.

Tried firing up XP11 and VR worked at the first attempt so headset and streaming app are not the point of failure as best I can tell.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve or better troubleshoot? I’m keen to try MSFS out in VR before making a decision on a potential new GPU. MSFS otherwise works flawlessly in 2D.

I have had the same issue. I’ve been trying hard to get it to work. Also with the virtual desktop app that costs another 20 bucks or so. I didn’t get it to work unfortunately. I have also tried with meta quest 2, it worked there but the graphics and the performance were quite underwhelming as compared to my 4k monitor.

Hi,

Not sure if it will help, but what is your resolution currently set to in Steam VR?

If it’s high (e.g., 150%), perhaps try lowering it really low (like 40% or something) just to check if it’s a bottle neck issue.

I was also going to suggest virtual desktop but @UtaLang mentioned that doesn’t appear to be working either.

Thanks both. I’ll feedback shortly.

Still no joy. Saw an error in MSFS about not being able to initialize VR and OpenXR was not found or similar. I’m sure this down to me trying to enter VR wit no headset connected as a test.
I then checked OpenXR tools and saw an error so installed OpenXR from Windows store.
I could then get MSFS to switch to VR then report no headset found. Back into SteamVR and set that back as the active runtime. Tried again and hanging again.
I’m assuming the attached screenshots of errors are normal since I’m trying to run this via SteamVR?

Correct, OpenXR screenshots like you’re seeing are used with a Windows Mixed Rwality headset (e.g., HP Reverb G2). That software isn’t designed for a Pico or Meta Quest.

I recall reading a few months ago another user having issues with the Pico and SteamVR. If I recall, the order in which they loaded things helped them. Not sure if it will do the same for you but might be worth a try:

1. Go into the Steam VR settings and set it as the default OpenXR runtime. Then close SteamVR completely. Perhaps even reboot your PC as a once off just to make sure it’s closed completely.

2. Connect to your PC with the headset (but don’t launch SteamVR).

3. Launch MSFS and let it load in to the main menu. Everything is still 2D at this point. Plan your flight, then click fly now.

4. Once the flight loads, and you’re presented with the second “Fly Now” screen (the one where you can see your plane waiting on the runway), press Control Tab to launch VR mode.

5. All going well, SteamVR should activate automatically because it’s the default runtime and it will go 3D.

The other user I recall reading about I think was saying if he tried running SteamVR first, I.e., before loading MSFS, it didn’t work for him.

Let us know how you get on.

PS. I don’t have a Pico, I use a Quest 2, so my experience will be somewhat limited, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Thanks for this but unfortunately the issue remains.
I gave it a try without SteamVR running but as soon as I switch to VR, nothing happened then I eventually get the following error. SteamVR didn’t start by itself when I switched to VR in MSFS so I had to manually start it and then MSFS hangs again until I quit SteamVR. A minute or two later, I get this error again. Still scratching my head.

I’m not entirely sure the store version can work with SteamVR. It might be that it only supports native WMR OpenXR.

Maybe this would help PICO 4 -- Unable to enter VR mode - #7 by FlipperBird7586

Thanks. I had tried that previously but the issue remains. Still trying different things but really trying to avoid reinstalling Windows as a last resort.

I’m getting the same thing with a G2. it’s so frustrating ! I have tried everything apart from re installing windows, well apart from the series of actions that will resolve the issue, that I’m not familiar with of course. Openxr works with DCS and the demo works. The G2 will initialize in steam vr. It just keeps saying “check openxr is installed” and that the headset can use it. well it can use it (openxr) just not in Msfs. tried everything, 3 days trying to solve this one now, well, the majority of my weekend.

I got mine resolved by a clean reinstall of SteamVR. I don’t believe the G2 uses SteamVR though.

no, open xr but i’v tried that also. iv tried re-installing : Steamvr,open xr tools,openxr toolkit, WMR, clean install of Nvidea drivers, moved back numbers in regedit for msfs registry value’s. i’ve run out of things to try tbh. I’m lost and really lost without it. withdrawal symptoms starting.

For me, I had to do a clean install of StameVR, just a reinstall did not work for me. Following the instructions at the following link to do a clean install of SteamVR. Might not be the fix for you but worked for me so definitely worth a shot…

1 Like

Does this work? I had the exact same problem as you had on PICO4PRO.Taking a stroll around, I strongly suspect it has something to do with steamvr’s Settings.

Have you tried uninstalling OpenXR? If your headset doesn’t use it then why is it installed? Perhaps it’s taking precedence in over SteamVR somehow.

HI buddy, that’s the problem, you need to completely uninstall steamVR and reinstall it. The loading interface is no longer stuck.

Glad you got it sorted too. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately somehow, the problem arose again. I didn’t do any Settings, just the steam itself was automatically updated once. How about yours?