Nepal: Journey to Mount Everest - Community Fly-in Event

I have arranged an open community Fly-in event, free to those who would like to fly along and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore Nepal, and make new friends.

When: Sunday 11th October, [20:00 BST] [14:00 CDT] [21:00 CEST] for roughly 2 hours.

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice and/or text chat.

FLIGHT DETAILS

Do you still have that oxygen mask handy? because we are going to the lofty summit of Mount Everest for some acrophobia triggering flying!

We will start in Nepal’s capital city of Kathmandu at Tribhuvan International Airport (VNKT) and fly east heading into the foothills of the jaw dropping Himalayas.

At the small village of Charikot we will turn south and make our way to our first stop: The short and grassy Ramechhap Airport (VNRC).

After regrouping there, we will continue the flight east towards Manebhaniyang District where we will head north climbing along the mountainous path of the Harkapur Okhaldhunga road before landing at the perilously short dirt runway of Kangel Danda Airport (VNKL).

Continuing, the route will weave its way north through the steep valleys to the spectacular hand-crafted Lukla Airport (VNLK). This will be our third stop.

For the final leg we will leave Lukla Airport and quickly climb north following the valleys onto the path of the Khumbu Glacier until we reach Mount Everest’s incredible summit of 29,029 feet.

Once we have crested Everest’s peak, we will descend eastward, briefly following the path of the Chinese Kangshung Glacier before heading south into Nepal again until we reach our destination airport: Tumlingtar (VNTR).

PLANNING

For this flight we will be using the Daher TBM 930, but you can use any aircraft you like, just be sure that it can climb VERY well up to 29000 feet. The flight plan follows the valley paths quite closely and most runways are quite short, so your aircraft will need to be relatively easily manoeuvrable.

Please load your aircraft 15 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

Around 5 minutes prior to take off begin taxiing to the active runway. We will do a parallel start and after that start departing east to the foothills of the Himalayas.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use slew mode to re-join the pack.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see/be seen by everyone.

Server: West Europe

Multiplayer: All Players

Weather & Time: Clear skies – change the time of day to around midday.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice and text channel is available on our own Mount Everest Fly-in Discord server https://discord.gg/Yrb2UWN where everyone is welcome to join in.

I have a disability which prevents me from speaking fluently on the microphone, so if anyone with a microphone would like to lead the event on voice chat please make yourself known!

Also, if anyone would like to stream the event on YouTube or Twitch please feel free, be sure to share the link so we can all join in!

FLIGHT PLAN

A .PLN file is provided by the following link:

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

Download the flight plan to an easy-to-remember location

Open MSFS

Go to the globe

Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen

Click “Load”

Navigate to the downloaded flight plan

Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

All of my previous flight plans are available for free at World Tour Flights.

10 Likes

i’m interested, love to fly in this region

3 Likes

Looks great, Ill be there.

1 Like

spectacular route!

1 Like

Do you rekon the plan is doable in the king air?

The King Air isn’t currently modelled very well in the sim. It takes far too long to reduce speed and the brakes are pretty much non existent. So it probably won’t be able to stop in time for the shorter runways.

I’ve also seen real King Air pilots say the take-off performance in the real aircraft is far far better than what is currently modelled in the sim.

ok thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks great, hopefully will be able to join. The time is 3:00PM for all you EST ppl.

Fun flight everyone!
Here are some of my fav screenshots. Great flightplan @FlavorFlav365! Thanks for hosting.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks again… I’m going to have to practice my short field landings! :smile:

1 Like

That explains a lot. I practiced a lot with the King Air before the event but had to give up exactly for these reasons. Now I know. Not that I didn’t butcher every landing with the TBM tho…
Awesome event anyway, that flight plan was golden! Thank you for putting it together!

1 Like

What a GREAT event. It’s so much fun to fly with a group. Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never imagined the trip would be so fun! Looking forward to the next one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That was great! Thank you for that flightplan!

3 Likes

A great video from Airso Ch:

4 Likes

Good stuff!

2 Likes