New 4k tv, can't maximize graphics and geforce not recording. Any ideas?

Amazon/best buy currently are offering a 43" Insignia tv for just $150. I always thought 4k tv were much more expensive, so I jumped on it.

Unfortnately, it seems the only way I can get the graphics I previously was used to on my older, lower quality tv, is for me to change (in game general settings) display resoltion from 3800 to 2500.

If that’s how it has to be until I get a better video card, I can live with that.

However another issue, is I cannot see what I recorded on geforce. It records, however the playback only has audio, no video.

I have the latest driver. Game Overlay was and is on.

Thanks for any possible help/suggestions.

While it doesn’t answer your question(I’m amd)there is an option for you, just in case.
Xbox app

I was on the phone with Minoj from Nvidia customer service, and even after over an hour of trying things, still no solution.

We tried putting my new 4k tv settings from 300% to 100%. Geforce would only record audio.
We tried the newest driver and the previous one, Geforce would only record audio.

After a clean install of the 2nd to last driver, the first time I tried to record, it recorded and automatically stopped recording. I then tried to record again, and this time it kept recording without it auto stopping, however when I tried to play back the longer recording, it was only audio. However, that initial 1 second recording before it auto stopped recording, that 1 second video showed up. This was on my new 4k tv.

I then tried plugging my hdmi cable to my older 1080 tv, and when I recorded, it successfully recorded both audio and video.

The customer service rep was perplexed as to why it wasn’t recording on my new tv, under different resolution settings it still wasn’t recording.

He is going to speak to his colleagues and email me back.

I’m curious if anyone else happens to use a 4k tv with Geforce 1660 and can record successfully or not.
It’s an Insignia 4k tv.

Okay, so if I make one change on my tv display settings, I can record video and audio.

HDR

If it is on, I can only record audio. But with it off, I can record video and audio.

Is this normal? Does my graphics card make a difference on if Geforce can record in HDR or not?

Okay, so breakthrough on the geforce is they figured out that Microsoft’s default video player doesn’t have coding to support HDR, but VLC free video/recorder does. This is why in the video gallery it wasn’t showing, nor on my video player. However when I downloaded VLC and tried to view my recordings, I was able to have both video and audio(4k hdr turned on).

Hopefully that is useful to someone in the future.

2 Likes

Update-
I don’t want any bad information out there. What I have reported has happened, however what was explained the problem/solution was, I still am unclear, but overall it is good news for me.

Yesterday, HDR was an option for me. At least on my tv settings, but you know, read above.
Fast forward to today, all I did was load up my pc, then the sim. Graphics look great, much improved, and now I am able to record and view the recording from the getforce player, as you are supposed to be able to view it from there.

I was curious, and checked my tv settings, and now the hdr is not an option. I had an icon to switch it on/off. But today, it says this-

Right above “scale and layout”, is where I had the HDR option.

If I click on windows hd color settings(which yesterday wasn’t available/showing on my screen), it says this

Regardless, the bottom line: Is my flight sim experience improved graphically with the upgraded tv now? Yes.
Can I record from Geforce? Yes, as well as can view the recordings from the Geforce menu screen again.

I just find it very weird, I for sure had one day where HDR was an option, and I had one day where Geforce was not showing videos. I could see my display on desktop and on the sim when I had HDR mode turned on.

I can only add a little bit to this conversation.

Digital video devices use a handshake protocol called EDID ( Extended Display Identification Data)
If your Insiginia TV doesn’t support HDR then an EDID handshake will tell the GPU that it can’t process an HDR signal. That’s why you’re not seeing the option in Dislpay Settings.

EDID data exchange is a standardized means for a display to communicate its capabilities to a source device. The premise of this communications is for the display to relay its operational characteristics, such as its native resolution, to the attached source, and then allow the source to generate the necessary video characteristics to match the needs of the display.

His screen is HDR10 compliant though, but the option disappeared after a reboot. Spec below in foldout. Not sure why that would happen that Windows hides the option after a reboot?

Spec of the Insignia TV

@Fartoolong3532 - one thing you can check, maybe the TV itself has a menu where you need to enable HDR first. Then reboot again. For my screen turning on HDR in Windows actually triggers the ‘tv menu notification’ (it pops up saying HDR “On”) when I switch it in Windows Display Settings so not sure maybe your TV works the other way. See if it has that option then reboot Windows again.

My friend I spoke to last night had the same thought process. What he said probably happened to explain why HDR isn’t an option, is that my tv reset from the pc settings I changed it to, back to standard.

Well, he was halfway right. My tv did change the settings from pc back to standard. However, I did check both my tv settings and pc display settings, and no hdr option. I had turned my tv settings back to pc. I turned everything off, then on again. When my tv restarted, this time it stayed in pc settings, however still no hdr option.

My current problem now that my graphics are improved and I can record again, my videos are uploading to youtube in worse quality than they were with my lesser quality tv. I watched a video last night on some tips that I will try out first.

I missed the part where OP said he saw an HDR option when his monitor was in TV mode. Strange that it isn’t there after switching from Standard to PC and back to Standard.

Perhaps your HDMI cable is not a quality cable to support the higher resolutions/HDR10?

With most modern LED TV’s there is an option to reset the TV back to manufacturers factory settings.

However, my recommendation would be to try a higher quality HDMI cable.

1 Like

I’m looking at 2 Oled monitors. 1 has HDR10, HDR 10+ and VESA certified DisplayHDR400. The other only lists VESA Certifed DisplayHDR400. I’m reading about MSFS support for HDR10. Can someone explain the difference if there is any ??

I believe you might be on to something, and before I take your considerate advice, would you mind suggesting which one I purchase?

Here is the HDMI to HDMI cable I purchased last year. I drive 4k HDR10 resolution with freesync and it never misses a beat. Very reasonably priced, you pick the length, over 25k reviews.
Quality 4k HDMI Cable

1 Like