New! Antarctica for MSFS by Aerosoft - First Look & Review

Antarctica - both incredibly important but also incredibly beautiful, and Aerosoft have created their Volume 1 Antarctica Scenery pack for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

In this video today, I show you a detailed first look at the key features of the new scenery, dive into the unique soundscape and provide my opinion in a bit of a review! Enjoy!

7 Likes

Yes! I paid for ENSB to get access to Svalbard. Having the other end of the planet available would be great!

1 Like

Wasn’t Svalbard always there? The runway was super bumpy, but I flew there a couple of times. I believe it was also updated with the Nordic World Update as a bespoke airport.

I want to mention a freeware I’m in love with for this region to add to what Aerosoft has done. Check out the “gateway to Antarctica” SAWB - Marambio Base HD Custom Scenery - Antarctica - Argentina » Microsoft Flight Simulator

The same user has two other ones including Rothera itself if you’re interested in the region but hesitant to pay. Just saying though
 Aerosoft Rothera is worth it for the penguins and the dude throwing snowballs at nothing :laughing:

4 Likes

This is definitely getting purchased over here. I love region updates.

1 Like

I loved Aerosoft Antarctica for P3D and I love this one. It’s just part one. The one for P3D included everything, now we will have to pay several times. But I think it’s worth it.

1 Like

I don’t believe it was. I paid for it via the MS Marketplace.

1 Like

I think it was but there may have been additional payware from anothe developer too. I’m sure I have Svalbard for free from the World Update Nordics.

Also, anyone getting this Aerosoft Antartica scenery - you could start with the journey the aircraft are doing currently in real life from Punta Arenas to Rothera! About 4hrs in a Twin Otter but what a journey that must be!

1 Like

Just want to add my 2 cents on this add-on, I spent several weeks in Antarctic in the ‘80s resupplying McMurdo sound on the icebreaker USCGC Northwind. The area is spectacular and when I loaded up this dlc my memories were instantly transported back to that voyage. They captured the feel perfectly in my mind. Have enjoyed the few flights I have made, even the bit of a “white” when flying up a glacier and hitting some low clouds. Was a LSO (Landing Signals Officer) and the helicopter pilots recounted a few harrowing moments when they experienced the same on their flights. Anyway, while it isn’t perfect, I have found it very enjoyable.

5 Likes

Rather incredible to hear! Glad to hear you’re also enjoying it too especially with your perspective too!

2 Likes

Purchased this today via Orbx (was waiting for that store to carry it)
 Looking forward to taking the DC-6 there to Rothera from South America and then cruising around the other airports in a Porter!

3 Likes

Sounds like quite the adventure ahead of you then!

1 Like

I am on my way! Should reach Antarctica in a few hours! :wink:

8 Likes

That’s awesome!

Well
 it didn’t go so well. :frowning: I crashed into a mountain about 40 miles away from it. Terrible weather and no visibility. I also didn’t listen to ATC (it was off by 300-500 feet usually depending on where - my altimeter was calibrated fine to the atmospheric pressure - they told me to climb back to 6,600 and I stayed at 6,000)
 SO
 I am doing it again. But this time, I am using the flight plan they have provided to ferry the aircraft to Antarctica all the way from Calgary, so I have a full American tour too. This time I am taking the Porter. About to complete the first leg to Casper, Wyoming. AND I have a G1000 with synth vision to help on approach into mountain terrain, just in case. The DC-6 didn’t have that, so
 this one should go better. Still bummed about that flight though. I didn’t see that coming at all.

2 Likes

Ah no! Sorry to hear that! The in-sim ATC isn’t ideal and if I’m not on VATSIM I just don’t use anything at all usually. I’m sure you’ll revisit in the DC6 in future! In the mean time, enjoy the big adventure tour it’s now become!

1 Like

Looks so cool keen to have a go of this! Hope to see other places like this!

Rothera is great, but really hope they add McMurdo as an option.

1 Like