New CFD modelling - c172

Thumbs up to you guys for figuring out how to model fluid dynamics. The results on the skyhawk were appreciated. The aircraft flies quite well, handling on takeoff and landing is as I remember from the rw.

17 Likes

100%

Not enough people are talking about this. It does feel pretty good. I hope the improved prop system and CFD system find their way into common usage with addon devs sooner rather than later as well as throughout the rest of the default aircraft fleet. The more flight model tools and improvements available to the commmunity, the better.

22 Likes

And you know what the funny thing is? You mention Skyhawk. That’s the analog version, no? I posted the exact same thing in the beta channel and got a friendly pat on the nose because it seems that the changes seem to apply only to the G1000 version.
Now I am wondering: what’s really going on here, because I experience the same left turning tendency in both versions.
:grin:

2 Likes

I’d like new flight model very much, but pitch moment due to flaps extension feels too low. As far as I remember real thing, it must be much more visible. I can be wrong because I flew C172 last time many years ago.

Yes, I agree. I asked JF on their forum if this could be done for the Arrow series, but they were not committed to doing it. Perhaps it requires cfd software? In my day in engineering, that software was never affordable. who knows. Maybe the mesh must be edited for the model to be correct? It must be an effort, given the tiny number of Asobo a/c have been redone. Of those redone, I’ve only flown the c152, and c172. But they are great. If it was easy, you’d think they’d have done them all.

It may have been a bit of an experiment and maybe the work now is to create a repeatable process.

1 Like

that’s funny…They’ll always be skyhawks to me.

Agreed. Torque effect and spiraling slipstream seem to be modeled quite well based on the video and how the plane feels.

But out of all four left turning tendencies it feels as though P-Factor is either not modeled or is really light. When pitching up on takeoff or for a go-around, the nose should want slide to the left more than it does at a level attitude. IRL this is counteracted by applying a bit more right pedal pressure than you already have in as you increase pitch.

The system needs work. But at least the foundation is there. I’m certain flight models through out the lifecycle of the sim are going to get considerably better than they are right now.

4 Likes

Personally, I think the left turn tendency is overdone. And there are times even without any weather, and with consistent power settings, that the new flight model suddenly begins an unwanted and unwarranted left bank. I switched off msfs after batting with this for an hour. My wrist was actually sore from continuous right bank corrections. That has never before happened in using this product since launch in Aug 2020.

1 Like

It’s doesn’t need anything special to implement, it just needs some experimentation and tuning of the flight model. I’d also wager that the documentation is probably a little lacking currently.

I guess in the end some devs will take their time to understand the system and figure out how to make best use of it and some will leap right in and live on the bleeding edge. I really hope for a few of the latter…

1 Like

Skyhawk is the generic name for the C172 and is independent of the the avionics package installed. Just like a Bonanza or Baron. Doesn’t matter whether the instruments are gauges or glass.

1 Like

Yep, I know and wasn’t completely clear about this. I actually meant: in the sim they are named Skyhawk (steam gauges) and G1000 for the digital version. To my experience the newly modeled behaviour works for both aircraft, whereas the releasenotes only mention the G1000 version.

A quick way to test, rock the wings back and forth on the classic version and see if you get the opposite yaw building up like this, as that only started working correctly with the CFD.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the “Dutch roll”?

Tx! In the beta thread about this behaviour, the left-turning-tendency on ground-roll, and climb with steep angle of attack were mentioned. That’s what I tested.

I also noticed this last night. Level flight - which with trim was also a little difficult to achieve, cruise RPM, no wind and the plane just drifts slowly into a left bank. Something is a little off.

If you read my reply from this morning on the JF forum, I think it is more positive than you make the situation sound. Certainly not jumping in feet first, rather wait until it is (relatively) stable and understood. Currently it has been implimented by Asobo on one aircraft. That does not mean that it is going to work correctly on any /all aircraft it is added to - there is nothing to say, for example, how it deals with higher speeds so we do not know how the Hawk would behave. Yet to see any documentation, so anything done now would involve a fair amount of guesswork.

2 Likes

Isnt it odd how different people get different results? I always found that the G1000 pulled hard to the left on take-off along the runway anyway, it was a bit too exaggerated in my view requiring a lot of right rudder. Today I found the new version far more stable along the runway requiring less rudder to keep it straight.

I fly the 172 steam gauge, not had a chance to try the update yet. I’m still confused as to whether the steam gauge version is also CFD modelled now as well, do we not yet have a definitive answer? Is there a way to find out?

Everything I’ve read in the changelog points to only the G1000 version being part of the CFD.

1 Like

It’s not supposed to be. It’s supposed to only be on 1 plane right now - the G1000 C172. Although some people seem unsure.

But following the video tip @Raynen posted earlier in this thread I suppose should answer it.

2 Likes