New clouds!

As much as I want to get mad about the stuff that doesn’t work, I see clouds that look real. We have never had clouds like this in any version of flight sim.

Now if we could get the GA planes working … :slight_smile: sorry could not resist

3 Likes

Yes the clouds are fantastic. Much more real. If you close to them there is also a rainbowholo to see

Not sure what you mean, I’ve had clouds like that since day 1?

3 Likes

They Look Good until you fly near or through them. Then they vanish from view or get Extrem banding or pixelated. Yes, on Ultra. Seen none of this before.

5 Likes

Yeah we had better clouds before update, but now they are optimized for Xbox… so…

4 Likes

Same here with the pixilation, and I have my settings cranked up all the way.

Well I don’t have banding or pixilation. Cloud setting are Ultra.

My Rig
Win10 Version 21H1 19043.1083
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Driver Version = Current
32GB Ram
Monitor HP 2560x1440, 59Hz
Dell_U3415W
WMR/Reverb G2

1 Like

These are better clouds than before the update for me.

My Rig
Win10 Version 21H1 19043.1083
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Driver Version = Current
32GB Ram
Monitor HP 2560x1440, 59Hz
Dell_U3415W
WMR/Reverb G2

Your pic looks great, but we’re referring to (or at least I am) the ‘puffy’ clouds. Instead of being, well, cloud-like, they’re pixelated. I’ll get a screen shot if I get some time.

Good to know, maybe there is some inconsistence after update.

I had bad pixels at the top of the screen with everything turned way up ultra.Dropped the render scale back to 100 from 200 and they disappeared for me.

Cumulus clouds look reasonably puffy to me, and not as pixelated as they used to. I have no reason to complain.

At ultra, 3440x1440:

Note the higher clouds here appear to be some sort of stratus cloud?

I did see that a thunderstorm I passed through seemed to be fairly low resolution, but it was smoothly interpolated with no pixelation:

Man the planes look so bad now. Washed out colors, no reflections, etc.
Here a picture, how it looked prior to SU5

Correction: I do not think it is the planes which look bad. I think it is the new shader with the weird color palette.

1 Like

This is mine on high settings, ultra looks pretty similar. Im guessing the “thicker” the clouds the quality goes down

Indeed, that looks bad. Still, for me personally, I would trade the new clouds for the pre SU5 visuals without second thoughts. The whole package just looked better. Reflections, Lights, Shadows, Colors. Somehow the sim has lost its magic with the new update.

1 Like

Colors, brightness, and reflections seem the same to me. I fly in HDR, though, so your mileage may vary.

Personally I have no complaints about the visuals, and performance is SO MUCH BETTER I will NEVER want to go back. Busy photogrammetry areas now scale processing to all CPUs much more cleanly, and there are no longer long pauses while flying around Los Angeles. Absolutely beautiful stuff, and exactly the things I’ve been asking for all this time.

However SU5 should ABSOLUTELY not have been released with the showstopper bug with altitude, or the horrible breakages on update that many people have experienced. It needed more time, and they should have done multiple smaller updates with an open beta program.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.