New Error Message - CLIP licence device does not match

There is a new error message on my laptop:

error

I cannot start the MSFS …

Please advise how I can manage this problem - thanks!

this may help:

Try signing out of the MS Store and then back in.

Had FS2020 installed and working on a PC. That PC started having major problems so I decided to buy a new PC. I uninstalled FS2020 off the old PC before the new PC arrived.

Now I’ve got the new PC and MSFS 2020 won’t even run. I get an error “Clip License Device ID Does Not Match The ID In The Bound Device List”. Here’s what I’ve done so far to try to fix it, to no avail…

Windows Update says fully up to date

SFC /Scannow reports no problems. It WAS reporting a problem but a run of dsim restore health fixed that

Windows 11 is activated. I had problems with the activation but Microsoft support helped me fix it

Signed out of both the MS Store app and the Xbox App and signed back in

Made sure all the apps listed in the MS Store were up to date

I cannot find any other solutions to this on the internet. Anyone have any ideas?

I got this resolved thanks to Asobo support so I thought I’d share it here in case anyone else has a similar issue. I had NO idea that Microsoft not only tracks what devices you register Windows on, but it keeps a list in your MS account AND in the MS Store. If you switch from one computer to another and have software associated with your old computer that was obtained in the MS Store, you must remove your old devices from both your MS account and the store.

Since Microsoft obviously had no idea my old PC was dead and buried, it was still showing in my list of devices, and in this case was the device FS2020 was associated with. Once I removed all my old devices from my MS account and the MS Store, signed out and back into both the store and Xbox apps, and rebooted, everything was fixed.

3 Likes

YES!!! That worked for me. Ta.

I get this error when I try to launch to sim

Any ideas

Maybe wait for their Servers will be ok…

Fixed it. I needed to sign into my xbox account

1 Like

Thank you ! It took google, your 1 line message, problem solved !

1 Like

Having this issue too. Got a new PC and was really excited to see how MSFS would run on it (even had a day off!) but just getting the “CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license” issue…

I’ve followed the advice in this thread and the others and tried the following:

• Signing out of Xbox app and Microsoft store (and restarting the PC) several times
  • Run “WSReset.exe”
  • Unlinking my old PC both in my MS account and from the MS store
  • I have a new Windows 11 license which is active

I can just hope that it’s cached somewhere and gets sorted on it’s own now, as for some users, oh well.

It’s recommended folks having this problem contact support through the Zendesk Support link at the top of the forum.

Yep, I did that and got excellent help, very pleased with the support!

After trying a lot of things, I got the suggestion to check out a Reddit thread and following that advice solved it (creating a local account, logging into that, then logging back onto my Microsoft account and restarting), could’ve never figured it out on my own :smile:

Not sure if it’s allowed to link to the thread, but in case it helps others these are the steps that solved it for me:
CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license. : r/techsupport (reddit.com)

1 Like