New Forum Upload Size Limit Making Posting Screenshots from Xbox via iOS Extremely Difficult

Remind me what size your Xbox screenshots usually are when you try to upload?

I cannot figure out what changed either - I’m not seeing any history for change in the upload limit so it might be something else I’m not seeing yet!

The Xbox-specific screenshots on my OneDrive right now range from 10.1MB to 16.5MB.

The attached is from the Xbox app, having clicked “download” from the app then choosing the file from the “upload” icon on the forum post

“On device” file size is showing as 12mb in my gallery…

1 Like

Looks good but still too highly compressed on these boards … However I strongly suspect this would be down to the board’s hosts, no doubt a subsiduary of Microsoft but not directly affiliated to MSFS.
Asobo should argue their case to improve this.

Ah, assumed from what was said here about file size maximums it couldn’t have uploaded at the native res.

But what i don’t understand then is why Nixonredgrave isn’t able to post

In fact here’s a crop of the rudder ar a which proves your point. I can see quite a lot more detail, whether some is lost in the screenshot app and them again by uploading what is now a 2.2mb image remains to be seen…

Every time a pic is reprocessed, there’s bound to be some loss of detail. Uploading to this board means the board will most likely reprocess your image. The only way to get around that is to upload to your own hosting server under your control and then hotlink the pic using BBCode. I know it doesn’t address the original size limit issue, but it may help understand the loss of detail that’s been mentioned.

What may have changed is that in Discourse (the open source forum software used here) last year the image compression was enabled on the client-side upload (e.g. browser) as well. That got applied on here I believe, or turned on by default in a recent upgrade automatically. Info about how that works here:

So what might be happening is that different people might be seeing different results of what image sizes they can upload because they use different browsers etc. If the browser is compressing the image before upload then it could be 50MB or so and still be ok here, it just depends on if that feature is supported in their browser or not. For example, iOS Safari causes crashes due to Apple being Apple, so the client compression is disabled on that etc.

3 Likes

There is something to this.

I just tested uploading an Xbox screenshot from OneDrive on my PC rather than from my iPad. I was able to post the screenshot without error.

1 Like

See my previous post and the quoted text by @notsofearless

I don’t know if you altered the upload size to accommodate me, as I’ve not tried uploading from my iPad since we tested it yesterday, but I was able to upload from OneDrive from my PC without error.

EDIT:

Ok, it is definitely an iOS-related issue. I tried uploading the same screenshot I just posted via my PC, in another thread, via my iPad and it choked again on the size limit.

To reiterate, I’m not experiencing this issue with my PC and I am seeing this issue on both my iPhone and iPad.

4 Likes

MS Paint is your friend.

Long live MS Paint :wink:

2 Likes

I am on an iPhone and had the issue. There might be something to that.

1 Like

Android for me so that’s why no issue

1 Like

Gimp and Paint.net are both good freeware alternatives, and offer control over how much compression is applied when converting to jpg. I always go with none.

Unless something has changed in recent years, not so much. There’s no control over how much converted pics are compressed, and it has no support for transparency. The only time I use it anymore is for making annotations on pics that don’t need to be high quality.

I use the free Faststone image viewer. It is free and quite powerful in terms of editing and converting files to different formats. Very simple process to convert the LARGE Windows Win - PrtScn PNG files to JPGs. You can resize if you want in the same process, as well as change the compression/quality. Very useful to see what the compressed and resized file size will be as you adjust the settings in the conversion dialogue.

I have been using it for years now and I love it.

Alwyn

1 Like

First, you all seemingly missed the point here: first, you ignored the international iconography (covered by the standard ISO 9999) of „don‘t-take-this-too-seriously“ (aka winking smiley :wink:), second MS Paint has been around since Windows 1.0 and dare you Microsoft if you ever removed it from Windows as it is and thirdly let me conclude my argument with this:

https://www.androidhire.com/best-30-unbelievable-paintings-drawn-on-ms-paint/

(Simply search for „MS Paint artwork“ with your favourite search engine for more amazing work)

So who cares about customisable JPEG compression if you have a full palette of 16 brilliant colours to choose from!

:wink:

Another selection of amazing MS Paint artwork:

Is there any chance of this issue being addressed for us iOS users?

I’m still hoping you can find an answer for us.

(Now that I’m back to beta testing, I’m running into this frequently and having to jump between devices to manage a screenshot upload.)

1 Like

In the past, this website would automatically resize and upload my screenshots. Now, it is making me shrink the file size to 6.9 MB first. Why?

6.9mb is a very large file size for a screen capture.

Each person viewing the post has to download that file

Why not compress it or use a different image format? (I don’t know which are accepted)

1 Like