You are correct. It’s challenging when there’s not an obvious path forward. Normally it’s a slam dunk, just buy the best you can afford, but this is a particularly unique challenging time with PC gaming and flight simulator CPU, GPU, and VRAM requirements in particular, given what Intel CPU, and the GPUs AMD & Nvidia chose to offer with tariff threat in the background, potentially making waiting longer, risking being priced out for YEARS.
When I bought my current rig, I knew exactly what I wanted - it was just waiting for the sale price, and I bought it Black Friday years ago and got a great deal. This time seems very different.
I know from watching reviews, that the Intel 14900kf / 4090 combo handily beat the 9800x3d / 5080 combo in 4K Ultra flight simulator. I found that out a few days too late, was a bit surprised by that, and that opened my eyes to while 9800x3d is a fantastic CPU, GPUs matter quite a bit. However, the 285k is not the 14900kf. I have no clue how it would do. I know that a 285k / 4090 combo did beat a 9800x3d with a 7900xtx in MSFS 2024, and 7900xtx was not V-RAM limited, so I’d suspect that 285k / 4090 combo may beat a 9800x3d / 5080 combo.
I simply cannot afford to get 9800x3d with 24 GB VRAM GPU in options that are available to me - with return period and reputable warranty (e.g. NOT ebay). I’m so disappointed with 2025. I’m not getting anything. What a waste.
I’m not gonna spend my hard earned money on a 5080 stuck with 16GB, given that it’s so overpriced since there is no competition at that level. I will either have to get a 9800x3d / 5070 Ti, or wait, hoping the tariffs won’t ruin the market by the time a 20 or 24 GB 5080 S / Tis are released. If Nvidia doesn’t want to release a 24GB 5080, fine, but they should not have stopped producing 4090 GPUs. I’m so disappointed.
I’m still able to play the sims on my old hardware. I’m playing on a Lenovo Legion 7i Gen 6 LAPTOP with 11800h, RTX 3080 mobile - a 4 year old machine that had 16 GB VRAM in 2021.
My current rig actually plays MSFS 2024 in 4K Ultra. It plays MSFS 2024 BETTER than 2020, likely because its biggest strength is VRAM compared to rest of the system specs. I can get 30 smooth fps in MSFS 2024 4K Ultra, but I need to keep LODs to 100 and use DLSS, but it works.
MSFS 2020 is fine for the first hour, but then it develops performance stuttering issues after playing it for an hour. I did not notice that with MSFS 2024. When I play MSFS 2020, it is ALWAYS limited by main thread. ALWAYS. When I play MSFS 2024, it seems to be balanced with CPU / GPU limit and gives me a much smoother experience, albeit having to turn down some LOD settings and using DLSS.
My issue is that I already have 16GB VRAM, so I really want something with a GPU that have 24 GB, 20GB VRAM absolute minimum. Nvidia being stingy with the VRAM coupled with Tariffs threat timing are the single issues that are putting me in this predicatment. Had NVIDA offered a 5080 with 24 GB VRAM, and charged $200-300 more, I already would have had a 9800x3d system with that card. No questions asked. Had there been no tariff threat, I would wait several months until better GPUs are offered. No questions asked.
Wait for a combo with the 9800x3d (this CPU is top end ) and 5070Ti (which will run cooler)/5080 (both have 16GB VRAM and latest gen ray-tracing and are a lot cheaper that the 5090) and at least an 850W PSU and 32GB RAM.
I have heard reports that a 750W PSU will be insufficient for 50 series cards so best to take your time,do your research and avoid jumping into a purchase you regret
Buy it and replace the power supply. A good quality 1000W+ unit is not terribly expensive.
Sell the 750W on eBay.
My 7950X3D / 3090 Ti, along with all the other things that use power (monitors, peripherals, etc.) regular draws 800W+ from the wall during flight. That’s why I bought a 1200W P/S.
Haha. Not really enjoying the hunt. Just not liking the options & prices presently available and trying to convince myself to get something I don’t really want because of potential tariffs.
Had Nvidia still made the 4090 or offered a 50 series card with 24 GB VRAM, I would have jumped on one with 9800x3d, provided it was at a price I could afford and not getting ripped off.
I actually did go to purchase the Alienware Aurora R16 with 14900K 4090 but by the time I did my research and was convinced it would perform better than 9800x3d / 5080, it was sold out. So I would have purchased that at a price I could afford.
You are technically correct. However, replacing a Power Supply on a prebuilt increases the price and will likely violate warranty if something happens, such as the GPU connector melts. I’ve also been reading up on system instabilities due to inadequate power supplies. So will likely pass on getting a prebuilt with an inadequate power supply and having to perform the second most intense part of the build (save for new motherboard and the repaste), as that would defeat the primary purpose of getting a prebuild (not to have to do anything and have a warranty to protect against early failures).
Wow. I just surprised myself. I just ordered an Alienware with 285k / 4090 GPU. Between Easter Sale, Corporate Discount, and additional discounts, I got it for ~$3350. That is just $50 more than the 9800x3d / 5080 combo, except that one came with 850W PSU and 32GB 5600 RAM. The Alienware comes with a 1000w Platinum PSU and 64 GB DDR5 6400 RAM. I know the processor isn’t the best, but it has the proven 4090 with 24GB VRAM. I will test it thoroughly on both sims during the 30 day trial period.
I figured at the time the GPU and CPU added up to around $1500.00. And when I added everything else the price came to around the same as building my own and I wanted something I could just plug and play.
I can run with most settings on Ultra in 4K except texture resolution which is set on high. I do limit my frame rates but with DLSS and DLSS FG I exceed 100 FPS flying above NYC in the CJ4.
There are not many bios settings. But the system can be OC’ed using the Alienware Command Center and fan curves can be adjusted there.
I think you will be happy and got a good deal considering todays GPU prices. Also Dell has figured out how to pack well so there shouldn’t be any shipping damage.
Please let us know what you think of it. I’m a happy camper and have no regrets.
Just got it and getting it set up. It came as ordered. RTX 4090 with 64 GB RAM running at 6400, Core Ultra 9 285k. Takes a while to update. Wanting to make sure I use the appropriate Nvidia driver, as that can make or break things.