New helicopters oscillating wildly

Possibly. Wish I could help more, but my sim is a brick right now… different issue.

Though I fly only fixed wing IRL, I had a chance a few times to be on the dark side of the force and fly helis. I’d say Asobo nailed it quite well the helis behave mostly how expected (all assists off). Just like the rest of the sim, it delivers a very enjoyable flying experience. Great platform, good job Asobo!

1 Like

In real life do you need a lot of trim dialled in to get a chopper flying correctly? In the sim it does seem like the helicopter will only fly without a battle once the trims are dialled in. But I guess thats just realistic?

It certainly seems like its the reason a lot of people are having problems flying them in the sim anyway.

In real life many helicopters have a so called force trim. That’s a little button that makes your current stick position the new zero point. Unfortunately that doesn’t quite work with spring loaded autocentering joysticks. The Dodosim 206 for FSX had the solution of holding a button, centering the stick and letting go of the button.

1 Like

not sure how the same math should be different “on some systems” :slight_smile: … but you can enable in assisents these new view, where you see what it computes. May be is helpfull.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Setup : Virpil Stick & Throttle, MFG Rudder
The issue applies on pitch & roll axis. They go wildly out of control, with proper coutering of movement having no effect.
One way to mitigate the problem is to oscillate the pitch or roll input AROUND the point where you would want your stick to be, adapting that point to the correct position needed to counter the current helicopter movement. Once you start to not simply go to a position, but OSCILLATE AROUND IT, the helicopter is suddenly vastly more stable and controllable.
This imho is indicative of a dampening function (averaging of the last X seconds of input) of some sort applied to cyclic input.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

I mean the same math is possibly being corrupted by a conflict on individual machines causing us to have similar results

1 Like

When assist is ON, the assist logic can’t cope with the way the choppers behaves and you end up crashing faster than with assist OFF. It’s actually very funny to see the assistance desesperatly trying to control the chopper and failing more and more violently every second

4 Likes

ah… you mean all affected users have the “assistence settings” to “on” ? that might explain why all is fine in my case :slight_smile:

not at all what I mean. Just that ON or OFF doesn’t change anything on the issue

1 Like

ah, sorry… english is some time still magic for me :rofl:

At least , how I understood it at first, it was a good idea for a possible reason: that the assist-logic do something wrong. Otherwise no idea than controller-binding-thing ( we had similar stuff in old topics e.g. with the FLAPS switch from the thrustmaster throttle ). The same code can not be affected from different “systems” , in terms of cpu,gpu, etc… but may be from different controller inputs… or may be which flight-model is choosen.

The physics and flight dynamics of the helicopters are fine. Well done to the development team. There is still work to do with it, but it turned out good for the first time.

It is important that proper controls are required to drive the helicopter.

For beginner simulator helicopter pilots, and for us advanced simulator helicopter pilots, it is important that the development team adds additional configuration options to the helicopters. The current setting options are not sufficient.

need:

• Pedal
  • Cyclic

to place adjustment sliders. Enter the setting value between -50 and +50. Helicopter pilots can thus adjust the flight characteristics themselves according to their development.

I checked FM mode too, I’m using “Modern”. I removed any addons I had… Really, I tried a lot of things :slight_smile:
Until now, I’ve been unable to make the issue disappear for me.

1 Like

Maybe we should try through xcloud to see what happens

For the widley gyrating copter control people try this. Go into your joystick settings and find all the heli commands you have bound to your stick. ie do a search by axis and delete anyone related to heli
After that try flying the heli its alot more managable then when you have the heli commnds bound.

1 Like

I can’t confirm that. The assists were enabled by default after updating to SU11, which I didn’t know. On my first flight I was shocked that the helicopter flew like on rails and thought “Oh no!”. Zero issues. Luckily I found the assists and disabled them after. So there must be something else wrong, if that’s how it affected your physics.

People who are responding by saying “Helicopters are hard and you should expect this” are not helping.
Similarly people who are responding saying “Helicopter flight characteristics are great, well done” are not helping.
The bug is weird but it’s undeniably a bug. Threedee1243 posted 2 videos above which show it clearly. I have replicated this inconsistency in real life on two different computers. One of them immediately goes into a crazy roll and flips upside down as soon as it leaves the ground while the other remains largely stable. No difference in the assistance settings or control setup (both default mouse + keyboard).
I agree the flight charactersitcs are really good, on the machine that doesn’t experience the bug. That’s how I know the behaviour on the other machine isn’t normal :slight_smile:

6 Likes

A full reinstall didn’t help but I removed the bindings to elevator and aileron and bound to cyclic axis forward and lateral, this helped a little on the bell and I could actually get it into forward flight. Still not like on my friend’s PC though.

a note: within the other topic comes again the point with invalid controller bindings on top

I link it here:

so may be recheck again… one of former mentioned youtube video match with that kind of problem.

I think I found my issue. I went to options > general > flight model and it was set to ‘FSX’. I set it to ‘realistic’ and restarted and now everything seems work fine.

4 Likes