New helicopters oscillating wildly

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

yes

Brief description of the issue:

the new helicopters are oscillating wildy as soon as they take off , seem to be left right roll as if sim induced and not controller induced. Tested without joystick and recalibrated controllers. Ive tried on firends PC and they are stable so its a bug only on my configuration.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

spawn helicopter start up and gently go into the hover. Heli will occilate left right pitch.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

rtx3080ti oculus quest 2, top of range thruster master rudder pedals

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

40th aniversary edition.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

You have to give it alot of rudder or you will spin wildly out of control. It works the same way in X-plane as well. Once you get off the ground (giving it alot of rudder to control you spin) and point the nose down and get some forward momentum it will settle down.

1 Like

Yes

Helicopters are uncontrollable, as soon as I lift off both models start to oscillate left and right. I’m using Logitech X-56 throttle and stick, both work fine in other planes, just the helicopters are messed up. The same thing happens when controllers are unplugged and I add throttle with the keyboard. As soon as the helicopter stops touching the ground it starts to wobble and ultimately crashes.

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to control volocopter, but the little blue helicopter included in the Anniversary update is very nice and steady !

To prevent spin, compensate with “rudder” in the opposite direction, when you spin. just practice, I even managed to land the thing properly after 2 hours or so.

What I learned from playing around with it,

Keep near to the landing place, gently hover and turn to practice… keep height and position, control your throttle carefully. Give it some “elevator down” to go forward, use the “rudder” to turn. But avoid turning with rudder while going forward. To navigate in flight use “aeleron” to gently turn while going forward, like you would do with other aircraft. When landing, go near to the ground and steer to the landing place slowly and carefully…Get it hovering ca 10 feet above ground, take back throttle gently… compensate throttle up when you go down too fast. Landing velocity should be near zero, hovering in place…

Just wanted to point out that OP described a roll oscillation, not yaw oscillation.

1 Like

I find them fun and stable with Assisted Rudder on, and unflyable with it off.

Exact same issue here. Using a warthog/crosswind pedals. Rotates wildly out of control immediately after takeoff. Checked all controls but can’t find anything out of place.

2 Likes

Please note
Im
An experienced heli sim pilot in dcs. Also tested on another machine and not the same behaviour, so its not pilot error. Going for a full reinstall again today wts

Did your friend with stable heli have rudder assistance activated by any chance?

I have same issue with Hotas Warthog. Whatever I do heli dancing after gentle take off without control. Some friends with same setup have no problem. This is not about I don’t know how to flying helicopters! Something is wrong with settings or bindings. I tried with clear community folder, no mods, clear sky, with and without passengers, assist on and off. I also have no options to check CG settings on weight and balance settings: can’t expand window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_5zMRugfEA

1 Like

Full reinstall MSFS??? Any possibilities to just reinstall new helis? I have feeling that’s bad installation process

I got off my lazy butt and reinstalled my rudder pedals (I usually fly ifr and barely need them)…and sure enough I can fly the Hueys now with all assistance off. You have to hold a rudder down for long periods of time which doesn’t work with a twisty stick. Now landing on those tiny helipads with no assistance…THAT’s going to take me a lot of practice lol. Helicopters are a humbling experience if you spend 98% of your time flying planes like me.

1 Like

Yes same issue. It works on my husband’s PC but not mine. Within 30 seconds the helicopter oscillates itself into a crash without user input in calm conditions.

I have tried reinstalling the sim and starting in safe mode to no avail. I’ve tried disconnecting all USB devices except keyboard and mouse, which are using default control scheme.

I have a video of the behaviour but I’m not allowed to attach it as a new user

1 Like

I tried with and without assists on

Another user posted a video on different thread: Hard time flying the new helicopters - #15 by NEVZEY9998

That is definitely not how a heli should behave when using just collective for takeoff. I luckily get the proper behavior (with some pedal input to stop yaw drift): accelerating positional drift to one direction with minor roll to one side, but without roll oscillation.

Correct behavior video from another user: Hard time flying the new helicopters - #36 by Jigsaw407

Yes

I have Thrustmaster warthog Stick/throttle MFG rudder pedals and considerable experience and success flying helicopters in DCS and Xplane. I confirm and have rechecked control assignments are correctly set. Empty Community Folder, and have re installed both Helicopter modules twice, problem persists. Constant rolling left and right becoming increasingly uncontrollable. Also seems worse with assists on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5SnqDSqMJ0

1 Like

Commercial Helicopter pilot here… Mine flew quite well, not perfect, but the basic nuances of helicopters were present. It likely flew just as it was supposed to, but too many people think they will be easy to fly. They aren’t. You likely need to practice. SMALL inputs on the stick, and lots of left pedal when adding torque to the main rotor. (lifting the collective)

6 Likes

fully more agree… same for the Bell 407.

I aslo disabled all of the assistence settings, with it “on” it is not a helicopter ;).

devices : Thrustmaster: Pendular Rudder / Warthog Joystick / Warthog Throttle

All Warthog Throttle users: may be check the old “FLAPS” binding problem.

The problem here is that this control problem doesn’t exist for everyone. There is a deeper issue other than inexperience, as helpful as some people are trying to be, this is not just that helicopters need careful handling. I am fully aware that helicopter flying needs perseverance and lots of practice.

While not a real pilot I have reached a considerable standard flying combat helicopters in the much praised Digital Combat Simulator.

I have spent about six hours trying to achieve some semblance of controlled flight with these helicopters and it is just not possible in my case.

I feel there is a real problem with corrupt physics on some systems that needs to be investigated by Asobo

4 Likes