New Here, Which version to buy?

Gonna buy MSFS in about hour . I’ve been looking over and over the different versions , $60 , $90, $120…I see that difference is default aircraft & scenery . My question is …is that the only difference? I hate flying with default aircraft (only fly payware and I know addons are far way out except Aerosoft CRJ March 16th) & I hate flying to Default airports (only fly payware airports ) . I was gonna buy the $60 standard if that is the only difference. Will I have full capability of installing all
Payware airports that I upgrade from P3D and purchase new ? Will I also have full
Capability installing payware aircraft when they come available ? I feel like dropping $120 on things I’m not gonna use is pointless .

Little advice please anyone ? Thank you

If you have no plans to fly the extra default AC, then go for Standard. The airports aren’t as good as the payware ones anyway. I don’t buy THAT many airports, so Premium Deluxe was a good choice for me. But I do appreciate extra aircraft, even if I only fly a couple of them. I’d say just get Premium Deluxe anyway. It’s WAY more expensive to upgrade to a higher edition later if you change your mind. I don’t regret my purchase.

1 Like

That’s my question, what’s the purpose of upgrading to premium deluxe later for some1 like me who doesn’t fly any default aircraft or fly to default airports ? I want to get MSFS now to start learning
How to operate it as well installing payware airports and get ready for the 1st payware Crj . That’s why I asked , I hope there won’t be some sort of Lock on people who own the standard edition in regards to lets say PMDG 737 or TFDI MD-11 comes to MSFS2020 and the installer only recognizes the premium deluxe edition to install . I can scarcely see that this could be a situation . But if it’s not , I don’t want to throws $60-70 down the garbage for no reason for default planes/airports

Yeah, no concerns for anything else. In your case, just go with Standard.

1 Like

I prefer to fly tubeliners which is why I bought the Premium Deluxe. The airports aren’t that bad- but a lot of addons are available now that are much, much better. The 787 is complete junk. Most systems aren’t functional, along with the AP and FMC, and it won’t be modded much. There’s a payware version coming sometime in the not-too-distant future, so I’d hold off until then.

So really it depends on whether or not the extra $$ is worth it for the scenery and handful of other planes that come with the package- again, some work better than others. For me it was, for you, depends.

The airports n the higher editions are better than the autogen ones by a wide margin, but they can’t touch 3rd party payware ones. If the extra planes and handcrafted airports don’t matter to you, then the basic edition should be good enough.

Personally, I think the steam gauge C172 is the best plane in the sim and it was only in the Premium Deluxe edition, so that’s what I got.

1 Like

You should have written a shorter post, I guess, because half of the answers so far missed the central question, to which the answer is yes, the base sim is exactly the same in all versions. Only the number of aircraft and airports included sets the apart.

Thank u ! I’ll buy standard today . Don’t need xtra default planes . Will start to get used to interface etc etc of MSFS . Been using Fsx/P3D for over 20 years so it’s time , tired of the laggy ness of p3dv4.5 with my ai , payware airports and payware aircraft and dull earth scenery . I got a OC 5.1 ghz 9700k , rtx2080ti 64gb ram still get major stutters in P3D at busy airports .

Thanks everyone

Hi. Welcome to MSFS :slight_smile:

You seem like an advanced simmer as you are thinking about getting the CRJ already. In that case the standard edition will do you fine. Keep in mind though that with Premium Deluxe you get some extra handcrafted airports too for a price way cheaper than what most payware scenery developers will charge you. And if in future for any reason you decide to upgrade from standard, you will end up paying a lot of money.

That’s why the safest option imo is to go for Premium Deluxe.

They’re without a doubt way better than the auto-gen, but when compared to 3rd party stuff, they may as well be auto-gen. There’s a world of difference between what Asobo have mass produced with generic assets and what 3rd parties do. In many cases, even freeware are of higher visual fidelity.

I have the PD edition, but for me, it was about the planes (C172, Baron and Longitude) and not for the airports.

The right decision mate!

I bought the Premium deluxe at launch just because … well that’s just what some of us do. Now, I don’t begrudge the extra cost because I love MSFS. But I haven’t touched, used, visited any of the additional content.

Now that we’re starting to see some really good 3rd party aircraft and loads of excellent 3rd party scenery, anything over ‘Standard’ edition really doesn’t make sense in my opinion … unless you really, REALLY want the specific extra content. :rofl:

1 Like

That’s really the key right there.

1 Like

Thanks everyone just bought Msfs2020 now ! Havent installed yet , phone ringing off the Hook personal reasons. Hopefully I can install it soon . I bought the Standard version , saved the extra $60 for beer and pizza tonight

1 Like

Just go easy on the beer, or your flying experience may suffer. :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought standard last summer and never regretted it. I fly low and slow. I knew that the payware aircraft will eventually be all I fly. In this sim the default scenery is so amazing, that it’s now blowing my mind to see the world. So, I spend a very short time at any airport. I spend a very short time in any region. Last night I flew in Madagascar, and then flew along the coast of the red sea in Egypt.

Amazing fun without any need for more default assets.

Omg guys I got installed and FPS friendly omg !!! It’s insane ! How can I ever
Go back to P3D wow? It would be just for the tube liners and just to think I just spend $72 on Pmdg 777-200er expansion wow . We need those payware aircraft into msfs2020
ASAP as well
As updated atc voice and Ai traffic from
fspainter/AIG/FAIB etc etc.
Wow this is unbelievable. They definitely need to fix the terrain spikes happening everywhere . Don’t know why I’m getting them on ground of trees ,
Houses, land …?

I got the deluxe, but only so I could have the Steam Gauge C172. Yeah, they suckered me. I still had beer and pizza though :slight_smile:

Welcome to the club and above all, have FUN!

What’s goin on with the terrain spikes ? Is it a bug MSFS has to fix or am I THE ONLY ONE suffering from it ?

They WERE a thing up between Sim Update 2 and World Update 3, but have since been resolved, MOSTLY. There may still be a few here and there, but I have only seen like… 2 since WU3.