New instance of ongoing issue - Xbox series x controller white dot

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Which aircraft are using that experiences this issue?

Brief description of the issue:

Before this latest beta the annoying white dot could be hidden by remapping the toggle cursor.
This fix worked through su10 and su11.

It now no longer works.

Any camera/view change has a constant white dot in the centre of the screen.

As the mentioned workaround was confirmed as effective in SU10 and SU11 I believe this is a new bug, or at least looking at what might have changed in the latest beta might help fix an ongoing issue for over a year now.

Note - this is using a controller with no mouse

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute to this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No, not available on XBOX.

DX12 (XBOX)

Are you using DLSS?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Since the beta update, the ever-popular controller cursor/“white dot” is again unable to be disabled. Although there has never been a (much needed) method to turn it off completely, at least in the past we could usually do a work-around by clicking the left controller stick to bring up the menu at the top of the screen, press a direction on the d-pad, and click back out of the menu, which would hide the dot until the menu was again displayed or a connected mouse was used to point to something.

Since the update, I’ve noticed that the dot is incredibly difficult to hide with the work-around, which only works sometimes and only when in cruising flight. The right stick is used to pan the view, and the dot should not appear when doing this. At first nothing I did would work, then for no apparent reason the work-around worked once in a while, but moving the right stick would sometimes still cause the dot to reappear. Far worse was that once on final approach the dot reappeared interspersed randomly with the “top of screen” menu appearing (which disables the flight controls when it happens) and nothing would correct either of these problems until I abandoned the approach and climbed again, at which point it went back to the work-around sometimes, but not always successfully hiding the dot. The menu/dot craziness was so bad that it made a landing impossible as they kept appearing randomly and interfering with the controls.

This dot thing has been a problem throughout the life of the sim and it is far from just an irritant; when it gets as bad as it is now it makes the sim unusable when it rears its head. PLEASE implement a simple toggle to turn the dot functionality off completely! Those of us using keyboards and mice don’t need it anyway, but even so it still gets in the way of even those who exclusively use the controller.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Dot appears immediately. Try to make it go away…good luck.

PC specs and peripheral set up:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

Does anyone know if this bug has been logged, or mentioned in any dev updates?
I had a search through and can’t see it being taken seriously anywhere by anyone?

The white dot is getting more and more annoying, breaking immersion. Asobo allow us to hide this thing.

4 Likes

Please Asobo, give us a proper toggle for this! It’s ruining my VR experience for way too long now!
Thanks!

5 Likes

I noticed that it still can be hidden (though not quite as reliably as in the past - it’s flaky) using the click left stick - press D-pad workaround, HOWEVER, that trick now only works when flying on autopilot for some weird reason. If I disengage the autopilot the dot reappears the moment you move either stick and cannot be hidden (unless you re-engage autopilot). This is on the G1000 C172. I haven’t tested other aircraft types yet.

What’s worse is that while off autopilot moving the left stick (flight controls) sometimes brings up the “quick menu” (or whatever it’s officially called), which disables flight controls while it is on screen. Happens a lot on approaches, which obviously makes it incredibly frustrating to try to land. I thought maybe I was accidentally clicking the stick, which will bring the menu up, but that wasn’t it. Merely moving the stick is sometimes enough to trigger the menu.

2 Likes

This is crazy. With every Sim update it’s getting harder to get rid of this ugly white cursor dot.

4 Likes

The latest beta update says they’ve added;

CONTENT/FEATURES
Added an input key to toggle Flight Assistant Panel

Could this help with the issue?

1 Like

This might be it. Can anyone testing current beta version check if this works?

1 Like

Unfortunately I won’t be able to for a few days, away for work :pensive:

I don’t really see the connection between the flight assistant panel and the white dot to be honest

2 Likes

Holding LB while looking around hides the white dot.

Not exactly a fix, but sort of helps maintain immersion while flying.

2 Likes

Now that su12 is released, and in case anyone from asobo or Microsoft was reading, here’s a summary of the issues as it still presents in the game.

-The white dot appears whenever the pilots view moves, either from user input or aircraft movement.
-If the white dot goes over a switch or control input in the cockpit during a manoeuvre, any button press for flight control becomes cockpit interaction.

Seeing as this means that you cannot play the Microsoft game, on the Microsoft console, using the Microsoft controller, this fails, very obviously, the relevant TRC / TCR that every xbox game released has to adhere to.
The fix, seemingly so simple, should be of the highest priority.

I’m guessing xbox players using the xbox controller would be far from a minority.

2 Likes

Yup, it’s not only a visual problem but a gameplay one. This dot as you’ve said is constantly interfering with controlls. How could this be ignored during the whole beta testing phase and released like that.

2 Likes

You have the issue I had, but this happened a few months ago. Do you have a mouse and keyboard connected to the XB?

-For me
If I used my mouse, (not the the cursor mode) to select anything. Even if I was looking straight out the window and moved the camera, I’d see blue highlights randomly around the cockpit.
Meaning if I hit (a) I’d be interacting with that button.

Didn’t matter if the dot was straight out the window, I got locked on to buttons in the cockpit sometimes even out of view.

Basically to me, it felt like the mouse cursor accepted controller inputs. Idk why or how. I say this also because I was then throwing the mouse cursor to the top and then I started randomly opening the stupid tool bar. It made it unplayable.

I reinstalled and then the beta came back and it’s not happening now so… idk what fixed it.

Dot sucks regardless. I hate that stupid thing.

I don’t currently use a keyboard and mouse, although I have been considering it.

I don’t have the time spare to set up an ideal cockpit, like many pc users do. I was excited to see a full flight simulator come to a console as I generally only get a half hour to play, with the occasional one or two hours.

This is why I think it’s so important to be able to play the whole game using just a controller.

Ps I bought a thrustmaster hotas one over a year ago, and a turtlebeach velocity one flightstick just before Christmas, and haven’t yet had the time to try them out…

1 Like

Not just Xbox players. This has been the bane of PC players using Xbox controllers as well, where the dot serves zero purpose (I can at least make an argument for it on console). It also sounds like on the PC version the dot is ever present on the current version, even when not panning the camera. I haven’t been able to take the update yet, but sounds like it’ll be enough of a hassle to make me not want to play at all.

At this point I’m thinking Microsoft/Asobo just don’t care about this issue at all. It’s not exactly a new problem and I’ve yet to see one person argue that it’s a good thing.

3 Likes

Since when do we have a bug-logged tag on this white dot issue? That’s pretty cool! Finally!
Hope they will just give us a toggle and won’t try to fix it but still force it to users because it interfering with instruments control is far from being the only issue, in VR, as soon as you move your head after using the mouse, there is a huge white dot in front of your face. :white_circle:

We need it turned off and a bind to toggle it on/off when we want to use it, that’s all. It would fit 2D and VR. Win-win!

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Here’s a fix (sort of)…

Toggle for white dot introduce in Sim Update 13.