New MSFS 2020 - Cessna L-19 Bird Dog to be released today

NOT a review, but I’ll type some of my impressions while I look at it and fly…

looks good from the outside, maybe a little too polished. Rivets well done, colours look good. Good outside impression from approx 1m distance.

The instruments look like polygons. I count 24 or so edges instead or a round clock.

The mirror or whatever that is doesn’t work. Generally the default airplanes look a lot better.

The feet from the passenger (who I actually have removed in the payload section) clip through the back rest.

Elec switches don’t work, NO switch has any sound!!!

flaps work with a little switch that can be clicked to extend the flaps but I haven’t found a clickspot to retract them? If I use the assigned joystick buttons the switch doesn’t move but the flaps work.

The plane has a parking break but I’m not sure if the real plane has one. where would that lever be??
The brake toe tips don’t move any cables or whatever should be moved in this plane…

Taxiing: the engine sound is extremely silent while the rolling sound on gras is extremely dominant, I don’t hear my engines when taxiing on gras. This sond is digital: on or off, no dynamic

The tailwheel doesn’t move

takeoff and flying: feels okay, I have MFG rudder pedals and a T16000 joystick mounted between my legs, arm resting on the legs.

Without going into special maneuvers the airplane feels believable and as (un)stable as I remember from my experience with other taildraggers like the C185.

the stall behaviour seems well done. Power on stall should probably drop more over the left wing. But it feels absolutely okay for a 25€ addon.

The flaps don’t look like they were extended to 60 degrees like it says on the gauge.
The stall warning sound is an electric beep but in all older Cessnas I have flown it’s rather a howling sound.

the flare at landing was phenomenal. Best I’ve seen in MSFS so far.

I haven’t taken care about the engine instruments now, I have to go to bed, need to get up early.
I will stop here.

The taxi sound on the ground must be improved and the textures and missing click sounds are a no go for 25€. Even if you don’t record actual sounds at least add a subtle generic sound. And please do something about that polygon look in front of you.

The missing click functionality is simply untested, Blackbox, that’s exactly what I meant above… incomplete, not really cared about and quick.

Overall impression is okay but for 25€ expect the sounds and the gauges to sound and look good.

The textures really should be worked on for your own reputation. They are “okay” but look at how incredibly beautiful the default planes are. The Birddog is really no comparison.

16 Likes