NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

Hi Gen,

Thanx for keeping us up-to date!

Fixed Issues in this Release

• [Watch Dogs Legion]: Stuttering may occur in the game with ReBAR enabled. [3356008]
  • [Battlefield V][DirectX 12]: The game may crash with HDR enabled. [3353767]
  • [Redshift3D]: GPU clocks may get stuck at the maximum rate. [3324452]
  • [NVIDIA Control Panel]: After overinstalling the driver using express install when GPU scaling is enabled, the 0.59x upscaling factor is missing from the NVIDIA Control Panel scaling resolution list (Display > Change Resolution page). [200765424]

I just received a new computer this afternoon and will try the new driver out. The fans sound like a electric flying drone!

BRGDS

Charles.

Can anyone speak to whether or not this version is helping, hurting, or neither?

Kev

1 Like

it’s like the old one , no changes for me

1 Like

Here is the Guru3D ‘skinny driver’ 472.12.

Charles.

1 Like

Could somebody please help me confirm whether if Render Scaling > 100 still cause screen tearing and giant pixels with the latest driver 472.12?

1 Like

How to make your own slim drivers and make sure what you’re installing is genuinely NVidia - by CptLucky8

Slim Drivers:

Here is how to make your own NVidia Slim drivers:

1. Unzip the NVidia driver .exe (with 7z for example)...

nvidia_slim_step1

2. Delete these folders...

nvidia_slim_step2

3. Edit the setup.cfg file and remove these lines...

Then run setup.exe, don’t select GEForce Experience then select the components (I only install Video driver and Physx, and unselect USB and Sound)

Credits: several posts at the guru3d forums

9 Likes

first flight with 472.12 - no problems

2 Likes

Me too. The drivers are just fine.

2 Likes

Yep would love to know if this has been resolved, I really want to update my drivers but can’t face the chequerboard pixels at the top of the screen again.

I’ve now tested 472.12 Studio Drivers Slim install in VR with the G2 and I see no particular change from the 471.xx I was using: same perf, same visual artifacts as well. I’ll keep them for now.

4 Likes

Hi Capt,

I have not tried them however I do know that I will get a very significant FPS boost in MSFS because I am using a new more powerful PC! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I will slim my driver using your method described above

BRGDS.

Charles.

3 Likes

Lights still not fixed @pidge2k

3 Likes

Same issue. I saw your earlier post on .77. Is that still a fix?

Yep.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-nvidia-drivers-geforce-472-12-whql-20-09-21/275276/738

1 Like

OK then. I will roll back to that driver. Thank you.

1 Like

I just got the best performance from MSFS 2020 on my i5 10400 and RTX 3070 with this new Nvidia Driver 472.12 DCH and two driver settings changes. I did an express installation and had no issues with the driver update.

Yesterday when I ran MSFS 2020 in developer settings I could see I it was CPU thread limited but today someone in this thread suggested going into Nvidia Control Panel program settings for MSFS 2020 and changing the following two settings which I did after updating the driver.

• Threaded optimisation was set to auto but I changed this to ON as recommended
• Low latency mode was off, I set this to ULTRA as recommended

Those were the only changes and the driver update.

Yesterday over JFK in a 747 my fps would drop to the low 20s but actually the stuttering would make it feel even worse like the 10s. I knew something was different as taking off the runway in a 747 from Newark Intl. the fps stayed in the high 30s-40 normally low 20s. Away from the airports fps would climb to 40. I have max frame rate set to 40. Flying low over La Guardia my fps stayed at a steady 40fps. I buzzed the JFK tower with my 747 and the frame rate at it’s worst only briefly dropped to 30 but was mostly in the mid 30s. Landing at JFK my fps only dropped at most to 35. My GPU utilisation was around 50-60% for the most part. This is with cockpit and external views.

All at 1440p HDR on Windows 11 with high settings 100% render scaling 100 LOD, all data on, photogrammetry, live weather, multiplayer, all airport traffic set to 100 etc. I use AiTrack + OpenTrack to provide TrackIR so this isn’t some easy to render static view, there’s a lot of camera movement happening.

I thought it would take a 12th Gen Intel CPU or later to fix the big frame drops at busy airports, turns out a driver and driver settings can have a massive impact.

I recommend these changes too.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016142680-All-versions-How-to-improve-the-performance

DISABLE CPU & GPU OVERCLOCKING (ALL VERSIONS)
We advise against using overclocked systems to play Microsoft Flight Simulator. The increased voltage causes overheating and can gradually damage your computer’s hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, and motherboard).
If your system is overclocked:
1. Disable Intel Speedstep on your Bios overclock menu
2. Lower or disable your CPU overclock values
3. Disable GPU overlocking for your Microsoft Flight Simulator game profile on Radeon Software or Nvidia nTune (this applies to custom user overlock settings, not for factory overclock settings of the manufacturer)

DISABLE FULL-SCREEN OPTIMIZATIONS
Having your monitor’s DPI set to a value other than 100% can cause issues with Microsoft Flight Simulator. As such, we would recommend disabling display scaling on high DPI settings for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Find FlightSimulator.exe.
2. Right-click on FlightSimulator.exe and select “Properties” from the pop-up menu.
3. Select the Compatibility tab.
4. Select Change high DPI settings and then select the Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application check box.

USE GAME MODE
When you’re playing games on Windows 10, Game Mode makes gaming your PC’s top priority, so you get the best possible game performance. For more info, see Use Game Mode while gaming on your Windows 10 device.

3 Likes

I’ve posted something about this yesterday!

1 Like

Because this topic is using the ‘VR’ tag I just want to add: I didn’t revisit this with the 472.12 though, but in all previous driver versions I’ve tried and all previous FS2020 version I’ve also tried in VR, Threaded Optimisation has always been better OFF for me (SteamVR/Index AND WMR/G2).

2 Likes

Hi Capt’

I installed the new 472.12 driver using your recommended method for completing a skinny install for the driver. All went well however, I had to re-start my computer once more to get the Nvidia CTL panel to show up and initialise. I had to use DDU for the uninstall of the previous driver because the uninstaller was missing from the list of programmes in the Windows Uninstaller.

With my new B550 MB, AMD 5600X, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM and graphics settings, (1080P) on full-ULTRA scattered Cu cloud and flying from Orbx Southampton Airport in the CJ4, (with mod) and frame rate limited to 30, I am getting a steady 40FPS! I have no idea why I am getting 40FPS when I have set 30 FPS in the Sim? This is with high traffic settings too. I have now enabled Game Mode too. I did not have the slightest hint of a stutter which is quite amazing!

Charles.

2 Likes

Showing my ignorance here but I am still back on 471.68. With an RTX 3090 now after SU6 and hot fix 1.19.9.0, my one remaining immersion-spoiling issue is pop-ups. Everything looks great in 2D and VR in ULTRA or close-to-ULTRA in both and I have set my FPS limit to 30 in the Nvidia Cpl for MSFS and do get 30 fps in the sim (otherwise the GPU would be hard at work cranking out a much higher fps). But whether flying over Mr. Rainier in an Icon A5 in 2D or VR, although they are not major, there are these constant little burps of scenery here and there especially when viewing the flight from the external camera behind the plane. I have Offscreen Terrain Precaching set at ULTRA, which according to Jummivana has the following effect:

• Ultra - This is will have no offscreen caching at all, and everything will be maxed out based on your graphics setting. The quality in front of the user is the same as from behind the user, so nothing needs to be loaded. This could come with some FPS drops when turning the head, but would result in higher FPS and lower memory usage when looking forward and not turning your head quickly.

Source: [RELEASE] Release Notes (1.19.8.0) World Update VI: Germany, Austria, Switzerland Now Available! - #2 by Jummivana

Sorry if this question is in the wrong place but basically I’m interested to know if I go for 472.12, whether that’s likely to have any significant impact on the pop-up problem. Otherwise the sim visually and performance wise is pretty incredible for me now, especially in 2D. Someone else’s post suggested that a difference in the relative position of the external camera vs. the plane was the cause of the pop-ups (nothing to do with the Nvidia driver) but some of the pop-ups are right on Rainier’s peak as the plane passes over it with the camera close-behind. Since the scenery at the location of the pop-up looks great before and after the pop-up insertion, it seems to be a matter of timing and the GPU or MSFS deciding to insert a bit of scenery way too late in sequence.

1 Like