NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

Yes, I thought it was an interesting article that you linked to, and I did read it from your posting. I should have linked back to your posting which I would normally do rather than duplicate. I have linked to your original article and now it all reads in context. Charles

1 Like

Yes, I was just confused as the post had no reference. All good :wink:

2 Likes

Has this issue been resolved with the latest nvidia driver release?

No, driver updates do not help with confusion, vodka does. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

issue ? these was an info :slight_smile:

If you mean the problems with the 460.xx and 3090 cards ( possible also other 30xx ) then no. Users still report trouble with 460.xx drivers.

A hint about… there is an Hotfix Driver from Nvidia ( 460.97 ). The changelog mention a similiar fixed issue for another game:

• Stutter may be observed with some configurations in Marvel’s Avengers [3197999]

Possible 3090 users can try it… but on other side… if the 457.xx works fine…

Hi Micha, I think I have finally conquered a new FS issue that has plagued me since the last update. Someone reminded me to set exclusions in Microsoft Defender for MSFS.exe, I had done this already and I always disable MS Defender before flying however, I took it a bit further and set exclusions for Process Lasso, TrackIR and anything else that I run with the simulator.
I still had stuttering.

So what I did next was influenced by sound drop-outs and popping with simultaneous simulator stuttering. I have an on-board sound-card and discovered that this had somehow become enabled once again, (I did disable it previously some time agao). Disabling the sound card on the motherboard appeared to do the trick. I also UPDATED my SOUND drivers.

• I think it’s a good idea for people to make sure that their sound card drivers are up-to-date, they often
    get forgotten.

I also disabled Nagle Algorithm in the registry. I had been constantly having the rotating ‘busy’ circle in the bottom right of my monitor screen while flying. Do you think there is any value in disabling Nagle Algorithm? I think the busy indicator is probably due to heavy server use. I wonder if other people are noticing this while flying?

I decided to increase my LOD slider to 200 within the simulator, I think this has helped to reduce the rotating ‘busy’ circle and perhaps help reduce some stutters, presumably because the simulator does not have to load the scenery so often, perhaps?

Nagle Algorithm: Why You Need To Disable It in Windows 10 - Fix Windows Errors Blog

Anyhow, it’s worth looking after sound card drivers …

I had a bad day yesterday, twice I tried to put the kettle in the fridge and not the milk! :joy:

Charles

we come bit off-topic with that :slight_smile:

I thought the MS-Defender-Bug is already fixed. Not ? This might be important for some users.
In generaly, and already in other threads done, I recommend allways to put this big applications folder at the exceptions for runtime-checking.

About sound issues… yes… there are also aready threads related to sound-issue and I remember for another user in forum which uses only a external usb-dac and where I also recommened to disable in this case the onboard sound-card in BIOS. But of course… if you use the onboard sound, the drivers must be up2date. There are lots of issues with sound-drivers and windows.
( and I not use the nvidias sound drivers… I not include it while installation ) ( edit: exlude->include )

1 Like

I tried the recent hotfix driver and still get a few black screens and then a CTD. This happens as soon as the game comes up and I am creating a flight! The last driver that works for me is 451.67!!!

2 Likes

thanks for the try… thus, also 460.97 seems not ready for 3090 ( 30xx ) owners.

2 Likes

For you Nvidia driver tweaker’s, and overclockers’s a new beta version of MSI Afterburner has been released.

Just FYI, Afterburner has a tool to automatically overclock your GPU safely. The tool runs tests while automatically overclocking and then chooses the best and safest overclock for your card.

For 20 series GPU cards, you could try this. This might not be a necessary tool for you.

Charles

1 Like

So at this point what is the general consensus on the driver that is preforming the best with the RTX 3090? Seems like many feel the 460.XX drivers are causing issues.

I wouldn’t claim there is any consensus, but it seems whatever the headset and the OpenXR driver, 457.30 is running the best in VR (and in 2D also for me).

Links from “My VR Settings” topics:
What NVidia Drivers are recommended for VR
How to install Nvidia drivers properly when trying out different versions

3 Likes

Nvidia 461.09

New Features and Other Changes

• Added security updates for driver components See the NVIDIA Security Bulletin 5142 for details.
  • See “Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 461.09”

What’s New in Release 460

• Supports finalized Vulkan Ray Tracing extensions
  • Supports CUDA 11.2
  • NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Added Background Application Max Frame Rate control (Manage 3D Settings page)
  • Added Color Accuracy Mode feature (Display > Adjust Desktop Color Settings page)

Software Module Versions

• nView - 201.18
  • HD Audio Driver - 1.3.38.40
  • NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.19.0218
  • GeForce Experience - 3.20.5.70
  • CUDA - 11.2
  • DCH NVIDIA Control Panel - 8.1.959.0

Fixed Issues

• [GeForce Experience]: The FPS counter is activated and the overlay appears on Windows Mail and Calendar applications.[200682565]
  • [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]: Blue-screen crash (UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP) may occur. [3196164]
  • [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]: The desktop screen may flicker. [3200599]
  • [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti]: The system may freeze with the screen displaying as solid color. [3203038]
  • [HDR]: With HDR enabled, black levels are incorrect, notably on LG OLED TVs. [200682795/ 3201305]
  • [Notebook][Lenovo Y740]: The notebook displays corruption after waking from sleep. [3178279]
  • Blue-screen crash (0x116) may occur upon resuming from sleep mode when three 4k monitors are connected. [3054239/3195884]

Known Issues

• [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: The game may crash on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs. [3220107]
  • [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: HUD in the game is broken. [3169099]
  • [Batman Arkham Knight]: The game crashes when turbulence smoke is enabled. [3202250]
  • [Detroit: Become Human]: The game randomly crashes. [3203114]
  • [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game. [3152190]
  • [G-SYNC][NVIDIA Ampere/Turing GPU architecture]: GPU power consumption may increase in idle mode on systems using certain higher-refresh-rate G-SYNC monitors. [200667566]
  • [You-Tube]: Video playback stutters while scrolling down the YouTube page. [3129705]
  • [Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]
    [G-Sync][Vulkan Apps]: Performance drop occurs when using G-SYNC and switching from full-screen mode to windowed mode using the in-game settings. [200681477]
    To workaround, either launch the game in windowed mode directly or disable G-SYNC.
  • [GeForce RTX 3070][Clone Mode]: When the resolution is set to 2560×1440 @ 144Hz, the performance state is stuck at maximum performance. [200678414]
  • [NVIDIA Turing or later][Windows Movies and TV Player]: When playing a 4k video in fullscreen mode on a 2560×1440 HDR monitor, the video extends beyond the edge of the screen. [3186830

So far much better/smoother performance for me on the new 461.09 drivers for the most part seem to be getting consistent 30 FPS and above when in heavy traffic areas (KLAX)

2 Likes

I will give them a try too! Charles

Yeah, I keep going back to 457.30 as well. It’s the only one running smooth for me so far on the 3090.

3 Likes

Also 3090 here. Did you find 457.30 better than 457.51?

Yes, there is definitely a difference between those two as well.

2 Likes

There is a post on Avsim about this driver …

As there seems to be a (possible) security risk with some versions prior to 461.09 I’ll install this latest version in a moment.

I just finished trying the 457.30 version and compared it to the 460.89 (on my system the 460.89 won).

Anyway, to avoid any weird behavior I’ll fire up DDU once again and hope V-461.09 has something good under the hood.